• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The first time you stumbled upon wc3 modding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I really want to hear your stories when you firstly came into wc3 modding, whether did you find World Editor or just accidentally found this site? Please share here :D

I'm currently writing my personal stories btw :p

It was all started when my brother came to introduce me a new trending game called "DotA", it was about 5 years ago. My first impression was dota is pretty cool, I didn't play it for a long time btw. I also remember when my brother (the other one) played that game for the first time, he played before me, and he used "Clink". Then when my turn came, I used "Ancient Protector", yeah, it's my first hero!! This not important actually, heheh..

Then several days later, I tried to open my warcraft again and tried to play the other maps. I don't remember what were those maps but I found so many game variations with different platforms, that makes me wonder is that possible to create a game using warcraft 3? Then I started to search around my wc3 folder and found something interestion called "World Editor", I was like OMG OMG OMG OMG!! This should be it!! I found a treasure. I don't know I think my game making instinct took over myself that time xD

The first time I opened WE, the first thing I want to know is how to do special things like moving unit from one location to another location, like what dota do, it creates units and then automatically order it to attack somewhere. I thought there must be something that generates those behavior, I was totally blind about coding that time so I didn't even know what it's called. I tried to open all possible windows at WE: Object Editor, AI Editor, etc. Including Trigger Editor but I didn't realize it's where I should code. I don't remember every single thing, but then I soon realize that there is something about the Trigger Editor, my instinct said, this must be it. Then I look around that part and soon I learned how to create a trigger. But then I realized there was something wrong with my World Editor, it could not save things, it always had compile error when I tried to save. Perhaps that's because my wc3 was pirated version. I felt disappointed and never touched it anymore for approximately 1 year or more. But one certain thing, I fell in love into programming on that time, even before I know how to do it.

Now this is the magical part: 1 year later I move to another city for higher education grade of Senior High School, we used to call it college. One day I borrowed my brother's laptop (he was the one who I told you he played dota before me) and soon I found he had Warcraft 3. I felt I missed dota a bit, then I played it several times until I remember something odd. Something that felt strange, then soon I remembered about that World Editor. I wasn't very excited about that because I thought the editor would had the same problem as before. But no, oh my God, no! It can save maps!! That's where my journey into programming begins. And guess what I touched for the first time? The Trigger Editor, I soon learned how to use rect to move units to other location by following some tuts in the internet, it was TheHelper.net but I didn't even care. Then I told my dad, "Dad, buy me a laptop plz" so that I can learn the WE as I like it.

I created some failed maps until one of my friend came and request a footman frenzy map to me. I was quite experienced already with rect and moving units at the time. So creating such map was not impossible for me. This is the map I'm talking about by the way (Footman GXE by crozZz). My friend didn't really like my map, but then we were soon used to play warcraft 3 together, downloading as many maps as possible and tried them one by one. Btw, then I learned how to import custom models but I was obtaining those models from other maps. And I soon realize the some abilities in dota can't be done without any code, then I tried to code some abilities in that map, even though it's badly bugged but I didn't care. Then when tried to search for custom models, that was when I stumbled upon this site, Hiveworkshop.com. I don't remember why I was interested to register, but yeah, I registered here at 2011 as "crozzz" and submitted some garbages: leakful spells, googled icons, spamming around, etc. (but darn!! that was dang good ol'times!!)

But well, I never modded again ever since (after my map is finished at version 1.9). I was a game maniac so I preferred playing game more than creating one. I played dota, counter strike 1.6, rising force, and seal online btw :D But then I got too bored to play those games after 2 years. Then I remembered about my crozzz account here and tried to log in, everything become so much different at that time, compared 2011, my old friends had gone inactive, I felt alone. But anyway, I started to mod again. Then I spammed this site with some account, SecondHand & this one (Dalvengyr). I submitted a lot of spell resources here when I was using SecondHand, that's why my triggering skill's improved a lot. Then I learned JASS and vJass when I used Dalvengyr account already, it was about March last year. And boom!! I finally posted this thread. :xxd: How about you guys?

Last edited:
Level 23
The very first time I played with editor was when I was like 12 maybe, and I just placed down archimonde and Cenarius, and fuckload of archers, and watched which of them gets dropped faster, to see which one is better.

Next time I wanted to mod wc3 that I can remember was like half year before I joined. I wanted to re-create Ulduar in wc3, and well, I didnt get far :D

Then I just started playing with GUI for whatever reason(like making some "interesting" spells, or just remaking rupture from dota).

Then I learned Jass, which was pain because I didnt know about JNGP so I used the in-build editor, and you can imagine having GUI block with like 6 nested ifs in each other when converted to Jass.

After that I joined hive and yeah...still made nothing as of yet :D

Level 15
i don't know when exactly i got in contact with wc3 or when i started toying around with the editor.
around 2009/2010 which was my second year of high school i started going to the public library in my city. while reading books i also started using the computers (of course they are bloated with viruses) they have there. i was looking for various assets to use in my gibberish maps, i also made gibberish assets of my own. and well i came to this place. i should note that i didn't had internet at that time and had to use a flash drive to store any junk i downloaded (and trust me i downloaded a lot, i would hit the limit every time. and this is one of the reasons i joined).
once i got the internet in the jaunuary of 2011 and got the chance to hop on the computer (since my family was busy with facebook for a long time, non stop) first thing i did was join this site with a dream of becoming a known modder. which all fell flat soon because 2011 was also the year i discovered and started modding DOOM. i forgot about wc3 since. :p

Level 6
i discovred warcraft too late, june 2012 when a friend told me about it, i was 21 years old!! i loved it because of my addiction to RTS games but it was not enoughh to be my favorite game, the same friend told me about DotA but i found the idea borring without even trying it (my favorite game now is DotA 2 wich i have never played o_O).

and then i discovered WE, i wasnt suprised, understood that all the custom maps was made using it, i did not want to work with it at the begging, i was like "i have lot of other things to do then making maps ..."

but when my friends switched from Warcraft 3 to DotA 1, i got the idea to realease a multi-genre game mixing RTS and MOBA, World Editor was the best tool that feeted my needs at the time.

i started of a map with warcraft heroes played by players and the army played by a commander with the help of my GUI programming experience in Kilk&PLay and MMF or my CnC/Dune 2000 Modding experience, until i needed 3D MODELS (that i saw in custom maps), i googled and found "The Hive WorkShop"

with the help of people like Nichilius, Edo494, Mythic, WaterKnight ... things evolved like the map becoming a Mod and the MOBA became a Hero-Brawler of DotA, LoL, HotS and RiT, with the encourgament of my friends, this year i spent more time on JNGP than on any other Task, Software or personne.

6 months ago i discovred SharpCraft, but was not able to make it work, by doing some researches from time to time and help from Dalvengyr and a guy from WC3Campaigns and some documetation left by TriggerHappy i was able to make it work a week ago and i'm making a Single Player 3rd personne shooter with it.

Level 10
I started playing wc3 about 10 or 11 years ago, I cant remember exactly I think I was around 14 years old. I got introduced to the game by a friend of mine, and we used to play wc3 together (one watching, the other playing, oohhh the innocent times). The game I remember I played first must have been Angel Arena with its obvious imbalances (chaos damage, devine armor). It didnt take long for me to get my own copy.

I started out as a casual gamer that would just play anything. I played the campaign and melee/costum on battle.net. It didnt take me to long to find the editor, I remember I had made some maps for red alert and age of empires before this. (strictly terrain, no other changes). I made a map based on the last alliance of LOTR, I tried just to make a simple siege map. Two sides, 3 players each side, each had barracks and had to buy units, each player had one hero. The map didnt have any triggers that I can remember, and hardly any data edits. I eventually played the map on battle.net once or twice and actually got positive feedback! (crazy world back than..)

In my gaming I gravitated towards the LOTR community playing maps like Battle for Middle Earth, War of the Jewels, First Age, Helms Deep sieges etc. I eventually joined the LOTR community and started mapping more. I must have started and failed 20/30 projects in that time. Its also around this time that I found wc3.ch, wc3c and eventually the hive.

*definition of a project for me: investing about 10+ hours in general map idea, layout, imports etc*

Its also around this time that I joined forces with Radagast and Wugi_boy to form a mapping team called “Frozen berries Inc”. Radagast and me are stilly upholding that name, adding new sidekicks to the force. Sadely we havent heard anything from our boy Wugi in 4-5 years.

In this vague period I also started a map that got close to completion called “The battle of Rohan”, heavily influenced by BFME and WOTJ but on a smaller scale. I believe it was supposed to be a 4v4 map. From what I remember it had an awesome entirely costumly made out of doodads Helms Deep (that was, because of that, VERY hard to play in). Eventually this project disapeared in the fog of passing years.

Now things get a bit hazy and I dont know the exact order. Eventually me and NWG_Jonas inherited the map BFME from legend-fire and my mapping carreer took off. We also started a community project with several people pitching in ideas and I was the main terrainer. I finished about 30% of that terrain before all support fell away and the project died. I thin I had invested about 100 hours into that map by than. As I was going I started and quited several other projects, most I cant even remember anymore.

I tried my hand at TD's, Hero Defences, RTS, Campaigns, RPG's, Survival maps, basicly anything you can think of and I started and failed making it at one point. During all this time Jonas and me were still maintaining, updating and overhauling BFME.

Eventually I started a map called Dwarven Battleground, which got to about 95% completion. This day it is playable, but never really received any quality beta testing. This map was for me personaly the first highlight of my terraining days, it had a refreshing look and encouraged me to invovate more.

Around this time I also got asked to help editing a new offspring map “war of the jewels Unlimited” I think I invested about 40 hours into making new terrain. But sadely my PC crashed and I lost the map. I never returned to the project... A hard lesson learned, which would repeat itself again..

Me and Jonas also tried our hand at making our own version of Ringwars. But we never really got support for that so we quited that fairly quickly.

I started another solo project called “Angmar Wars”, I think you guys are starting to notice the theme that I really like lore of Middle Earth. I worked on it over a period of 4 year(?). And now its actually in a BetA testing phase.

In 2013 Tavalaj released his first Stone&Sword pack which got me into HQ terraining and I have been practacing with his and Ogre_'s doodads ever since to make a higher quality playable terrain map.

By now i've worked on nearly every LOTR community map, I assisted in several lotr community made maps. And I am Currently working on 3 maps and assisting in 1 map.

Working:
-Battle for Middle Earth
-Angmar Wars
-The Black Company

Assisting:
-Kaptjn_Snaps' ASOIAF “Roberts Rebellion”

This has been fun remembering some of these things :). I might write down more later.

Level 19
I started playing Warcraft when a friend of mine introduced me to a game called DotA. Then I always play DotA but when I had my computer I started playing around with other things found in Warcraft like its campaigns and the melee maps. After a while I browse in the folder of Warcraft and I saw something catchy I think, it was the World Editor and then I realized this is how they make maps. I still suck at terraining but I loved creating altered melee maps because that is what I can only create. I search tutorials and other related things about World Editor. I saw world editor tutorials and learned a lot from there. So I created an account because I want to learn more and to know a lot of persons who also has the same interest. There was a link to this site so that's how I discovered hiveworkshop.

Level 21
T'was more innocent times for me. I believe 2008 when I finally was gifted internet of my own and discovered that warcraft 3 had these things called "forums" and place to upload maps and other resources. Younger me was overjoyed for he had fooled around the editor and edited other peoples maps (didn't actually upload other people maps). When exactly did I start, I have no idea but I knew Warcraft games had editor since I had Warcraft 2 map editor on my Pentium 1 (Couldn't actually play the game!). But funny thing is that for at least half of year I couldn't actually interact with Hive and I was limited only to PMs for some reason. Well I am sure map moderators and mini map moderators of that time didn't appreciated being annoyed by me, especially since I didn't for some reason notice that maps have "update" feature to prevent you from deleting and uploading maps (punishable offense back then).

Also was same year I finally discovered what exactly was that thing called "WoW". Was not excited to see that it was not an RTS and story seemed a little odd.

A long long time ago, I have no game in my computer, but i always wanted to play a "Medieval Style" of Real-time Strategy game, and then one day, I went to my cousin's house, Founded out a game called Warcraft, And I started to play it, and then later, I got one In my computer, and I start playing Dota, later, I founded something called world editor, and I was like, Yeah, This will surely be fun

And then I started to make some-sort of Village and try to make RPG map, tho never succeed, I just Avoid Trigger that time, Until one day, I wanted to make a Naruto map, Downloaded some Naruto Spell Start playing it, and then I realized how to do trigger (GUI)
and then One of my RL Friend (Crimson Phalanx) told me this website (Hiveworkshop) (He don't have Hive account that time tho) and then I found something called the Model Section, I downloaded like 4 page of model to Keep it myself (In my Old PC) and hoping to recreate some of my faivourite map, and Well.. Till now, I havent done any map yet XD

The Only 2 i made is called the Spamming War Map, Where I removed all the Cooldown and Foodlimit, I posted it On Hive and It was Rejected Xd

And then I started founded out something Called Magos Model Editor somewhere on youtube, and then I start making Not-Working Model and Posted it on Hive, and I wrap it with Oinwenker Vertex Editor that I found it in Some sort of Tutorial on Hive, and then I just Edit my Model on Magos continuing spamming useless model on Hive, and even stole General Franks Sniper Rifle For a Sniper Model, (Minus Rep For that)

And then I inactive on Hive for quite a while,
but went to warcraft Unlimited (Forum) with lots of Anime Model
and then after a couple year Im back, And Realized there is something Called Rep Exist, and I stopped to Double/triple posting and start obeying the rule XD

And some time later, I started to Play with Mdlvis, and then started to make slightly better model (With Very Light Edit) but working model, And then Thanks to Minimage and Misha that Guide me till now that I can able to Geomerge, Animate, And Make Model From Scratch without getting my model Rejected (Need Fix Instead)

Edit: I stopped Dota After I started playing with World Editor

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Well, My school friends introduced me to a game called DotA.... I was interested in it and played it for a long time. When my friends started playing DotA 2 and I was left alone, I tried to modify my DotA 1 like DotA 2 and found a site called PlayDotA.com and that site was used by me for like 5-6 months... Then accidentally it led me to this site which I did not like. But later on I started wc3 all by myself and now I am a active user and a Great player. I also then discovered the world editor in the folder and I was like "Yeah !!! That will make me famous " as I thought using it was a childs play but after knowing it's advanced techniques now after 1 year I am a map maker who is working on a campaign !!!

Level 23
Well, it all started from Dota when my friends and I played it. But after when my father bought a computer, I started to play wc3 there. I was very intrigued about the campaigns. I played from RoC to TFT after many times I always play it over and over, I realized "What happened to the Blood elves after the TFT?" I was like, hmm. What could have happened to them (one of my favorite). Then hungered for a blood elf campaign, I've searched in google "Blood Elf campaign" many different results I found, mostly articles then found out "Rise of the Blood Elves" clicked the link and brought me here and downloaded the map. After what did I played it, I hunger for moaar! I visit hive day by day but not really familiar with the site and after weeks or maybe a month I decided to join Hive workshop....

Last edited:
Level 21
As for me, it didn't start with a friend telling me about Warcraft or with DotA. It all started when my father bought to me a CD of Warcraft III Reign of Chaos from London when I was in Egypt and was around 10-11 years old. He gave to me this CD when he came to visit me and I started playing this game. I really loved in the very beginning Warcraft and I started finishing the campaigns one by one till I finished the whole game too soon. So for that reason, I opened something new to me called the "World Editor". I found myself in front of a massive empty terrain of Dirt tile and the Tool Palette. I started spamming some units and doodads and tested the map. After I got familiar with the editor, I explored a remote place called the "Trigger Editor". My first impression was like "What the hell is this!?" but soon I got the hang of it and in a few months, I was able to give some simple commands so I created my first cinematic (that's where my passion for cinematics had begun). 4 years later I installed the patch of Frozen Throne, finished the campaigns quickly and found myself with a brand new world editor with new functions and editors (AI editor, campaign editor etc...). I learnt soon how to use them rapidly. Then, while creating some of my noob maps, I asked myself "Uh those models and icons of Blizzard are so boring... Can't I find some new icons and models for Warcraft?" So I searched for "Warcraft Models" and found this website! Next, I created my cinematic Fight of Mages, registered and here I am!

Level 25
Back in 2002, my brother gave me Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos as a Christmas present. I had already been making maps in Warcraft 2, so I opened the editor even before finishing the campaign. I was 12 at the time, so I knew nothing about programming. But I discovered the trigger editor and played around with it, my first "test" map being a mini cinematic where I used as many trigger actions as I could understand.

I didn't "stumble" upon Warcraft 3 modding - I had been looking forward to it since about 2000.

In mid 2003, I joined the (now dead) mapping site Maps'n'Mods / World of War, where I posted dozens of maps and participated in my fair share of flame wars. Those were the days.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I think my friend randomly found the Warcraft 3 folder and then he pressed the world editor icon to check out what it was.
At the start we were mainly spamming out units/buildings etc so it was just a fucked up melee map-like gameplay.

I think I found out about 'real' Warcraft 3 modding like 2 years after that when I saw a video on how to import Warcraft 3 custom models. That video led me to this site.. so yeah.

Last edited:
Level 21
Anybody who opens the world editor for the first time must spam units and buildings everywhere then test the whole chaos to see what comes out. I personally did this with my first time in the world editor and also in the editors of other games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth III (so good memories, it's a shame those two games have vanished + all my precious warcraft maps from my pc since the hardware broke)

In 2009(/08?) when my brothers friend brought it and gave it to us and played it with us.

I somehow found it and my brother taught me how to make a sound when you enter a region.
I was like, "what!?!?"

I ended up modding a map for a long time in Garena Oceania RPG room 1 & 2 and always got a full house in 2010.
It's one of the things that still motivate me today.

I don't remember when I stopped or why, I just did eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.