1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I made a game editor that supports 50+ concurrent players

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by m0dE, Aug 3, 2018.

1. m0dE

m0dE

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey guys,

I've been making wc3 custom maps since 2008. I eventually quit, due to the following reasons:
    - There is no easy way to monetize wc3 custom games
    - It only supports up to 12 players
    - wc3 players can play your game

This is why I made modd.io, where you can make multiplayer games without having to worry about network programming or server hosting.
    Some of its features are:

• Visual drop & drag scripting (No programming required).

• Your game will support up to 50 concurrent players. No network programming required. We host & scale your servers for free.

• Once your game is published, it'll be exposed to our existing 250,000 monthly users.

• No download or monthly payment required. Games are made in browser from scratch.

• you can start monetizing your games in minutes using ads or in-app purchases.

• All games are made using HTML5, and it can be played in all modern browsers.

Here are some of the games that have been made using my engine:
    braains.io (dev time: 10 days)
    escap.io (dev time: 2 days)
    clansmen.io (dev time: 3 days)

Millions of players have already played my games, and I'm sure developers from this community can make better games than I can.

I'd love to listen to you guys' feedback about this project, and lmk if you have any questions!

Thank you

m0dE

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    - mod wc3
    - complain wc3 players can play your map
    - ???

Irony aside, this is a neat project.

Some things I noticed very fast:
    1) You need client prediction. When you test your games I am assuming you have near 0 ping, but for me it's very janky and laggy.
    2) The trigger editor is TINY. At least on Firefox. It allows up to 7 lines of text to be shown, and considering your GUI-like-JSON has lots of new lines, it's not very easy to use. That being said, it's not clear to me from a quick glance if this is just a preview, or how the actual editor looks when you edit a game.
    3) The trigger editor also needs prediction. In fact, it's not clear to me why it's being synced in the first place. You'll generally have a "save", "build", "publish", or whatever option. Maybe an autosave every X seconds. But why sync every input in a local editor?
    4) Ads. You are offering in-game currency, but also force ads by trying to block people using ad blockers. Choose one or the other. Greed isn't a good sign.
    5) The physics are somewhat broken, allowing you sometimes to get stuck with near 0 speed also without colliding with anything. Not sure if it's actually the physics, or the networking.

On a side note, wc3 supports 24 players nowadays. :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. m0dE

m0dE

Resources:
    Resources:
    Definitely some valid points here. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Here's my response to your observations:
    1) We're at a verge of introducing client prediction using extrapolation. You'll see some improvement soon.
    2) I agree that the editor can look tiny. We're looking into ways to improve this.
    4) Ads and in-app monetization are out of necessity, but not out of greed. Running 100 server instances cost a lot of money (we are providing free game server hosting), and our ad & IAP revenue is very small.
    5) In which game did you experience this? Our physics should work fine.

Thanks again!

4. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Gonna mark this for later use.