• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How you deal with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
How you deal with depression. Mostly this entire summer I fell into a pit after a rough breakup and stupid decisions with drugs, but I'm not really here to complain about my life. Lately I've just been putting time into Warcraft III and jam out to some nice tunes..what about you guys? What do you guys do to get over your times of depression?

Level 30
Depression, its one heck of a problem. I got depressed last year not because of love issues but because of my hard work with my thesis where I worked it with my group day and night, 24/7 and only at Sunday afternoon I get down on my feet to rest, till smug ass Panels always like to play with us and give us a re-defense positions just for the sake of seeing us look like shit. But hell I tried my best to get myself back and lately I found my own cure.

Watching funny videos, when I say funny videos its not just those videos where you see people record there accidents or whatever but anything that would make you laugh, say watch an anime that is full of ecchi stuff, wait I'm violating a rule here but hey its good enough to reply for this thread, and really there's more of it actually.

More over talk to friends(or others), that way your decisions are not mistaken and you will not regret it later on.
- by the Hive Warchief, give me rep

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Probably doesn't classify as depression, but I too felt a bit down in June due to intensive exams epoch. I just told myself to keep going on and it'd be over at some point. I know this is likely the most default answer you get and it's usually worse than just that, but in this case, I felt it was positive thinking, it kept me going until the end of the epoch at least.

Level 13
I had severe problems with that....wanted to kill myself,but guys never forget this,whenever in times of grief or pain search your hearth and find your true friend(s) that are and will always be besides you!This is the best remedy for the problem!

Level 16
I let myself sink into the deepest bottom, blaming myself for being the main source of my depression while trying to talk myself out of it at the same time. If I am to put it, it is like splitting my mind into the Hope Angel and the Despair Demon during that time.

I don't know why but this method always work out for me. The next morning (or 2, 3 mornings after that) most of the depression is gone.

Sometimes even best friends cannot be with you and you just have to learn to pick yourself up. That is what I have learned.

Level 27
The message of "hope" doesn't help at all when you've run out of reasons to live and have just been given a reason to actively take your life.

If I wasn't so logical, I'd probably be dead by now. :V

Level 16
The message of "hope" doesn't help at all when you've run out of reasons to live and have just been given a reason to actively take your life.

If I wasn't so logical, I'd probably be dead by now. :V

Well if I am to spend some time remembering the important things in life like how my parents have raised my despite us being poor, I have a long life ahead to live and dreams to be fulfilled, I know that I can find hope, even if it is only a faint glimmer.

I have never encountered a depression that can actually convince me to kill myself but I think I have come close sometimes, not really sure how close though. Perhaps I haven't lived long enough to reach that part of like yet so please excuse my argument not being a well-executed one.

Level 18
Not getting to be with the girl, having a very shitty hard labor job thats extremly underpaid and having a relativly tough and unfair life I guess Im depressed. How do i deal with it? I dont. Just feel bad about life, dont really care for anything at all and wait for it to end (life or depression) As DIO said:

And the next time someone points a gun at you
Say "Shoot, shoot
You don't care

Level 16
speaking of a logical perspective, how about those people who have attempted suicide and failed? would be pretty terrible if they were going to kill themselves because they couldn't succeed at anything

That would be horrible indeed but from what I read from the news, not sure if it is a near-death experience or anything, a failed suicide can cause the suicide (the person) to abandon all thoughts of suiciding in the future and sometimes live an even better life than before.

I think that would be the greatest depiction of "rising from one's own ashes".

Level 35
true, although it would be preferable to not attempt it in the first place

but to each their own

it's somewhat silly when you see people complaining openly about how they can't be with a girl who's just not interested
makes you wonder how much that girl is actually thinking of them, if at all

Level 16
true, although it would be preferable to not attempt it in the first place

but to each their own

it's somewhat silly when you see people complaining openly about how they can't be with a girl who's just not interested
makes you wonder how much that girl is actually thinking of them, if at all

Well sometimes you just find yourself in a deadend and in a moment of impulsive thinking, a life is wastefully lost. That is how most suicides happen.

In my country there is a thing known as National Entrance Exam (look it up on google or w/e). Long story short, either you pass this exam and go to university or you have to sit it again next year, which is often a really bad choice because the military actively seeks out those who fail the exam to conscript them. Here we consider servicing in the military a torment so of course a lot of pressure is applied on us students. Furthermore, we Asians (or maybe just my countrymen) consider failing to go to universties a shame to ourselves and our families (the truth is that those who fail can choose to go to college [colleges here are somewhat like a lame version of universities] or vocational schools). Thus, high school students have to study like maniacs to pass this exam. And if they fail, some choose to end their own life because they deem themselves unworthy of the hope their parents, teachers and friends have for them, they must not let themselves be conscripted, and they cannot go to college/vocational school also.

What they do not know when their cold bodies are transported back to their home is the tears of their parents, the mourning of their siblings and the sad looks on everyone who learn about such wasteful deaths.

I don't know about the case you mentioned but they always say Love is the greatest power in the world, maybe it just has more effect on this particular guy than it does on you.

Level 18
1299498845873.png

Level 35
from my understanding, it can be caused by multiple things and, as such, can occur with various mindsets, all resulting in the same idea - they want to die

there are chemical imbalances, for example, which can lead to depression in the first place. usually this needs to be dealt with using medication.
in other cases, it's just a mindset and learning how to deal with things.

for the cases where people go suicidal, they usually go down the deep end very rapidly. in some cases, they may hear voices. in others, they may egg themselves on. it's something that would be very difficult to understand from an outside perspective, and, as such, i don't know what their frame of mind is on the matter.

my guess would be, however, that when there's those moments where someone like you or i might occasionally go 'damn this is getting tough' and consider various ideas, if we think of things like suicide or anything else we strongly disagree with, we would be repulsed. people who do become suicidal, however, may take a liking to the idea.

Level 16
Well what can I say, that Anonymous dude earned my respect.

from my understanding, it can be caused by multiple things and, as such, can occur with various mindsets, all resulting in the same idea - they want to die

there are chemical imbalances, for example, which can lead to depression in the first place. usually this needs to be dealt with using medication.
in other cases, it's just a mindset and learning how to deal with things.

for the cases where people go suicidal, they usually go down the deep end very rapidly. in some cases, they may hear voices. in others, they may egg themselves on. it's something that would be very difficult to understand from an outside perspective, and, as such, i don't know what their frame of mind is on the matter.

my guess would be, however, that when there's those moments where someone like you or i might occasionally go 'damn this is getting tough' and consider various ideas, if we think of things like suicide or anything else we strongly disagree with, we would be repulsed. people who do become suicidal, however, may take a liking to the idea.

So in a manner of speaking, what you are speaking of are people with a weak "resistance" to suicidal thoughts or people with a mental condition. Indeed I can relate to how that makes suicide more or less the "best" choice in their list of "What choices should I take against a difficult situation".

Thank you for sharing the information.

Level 36
However did this discussion derail into suicide?

I guess it kind of makes sense, seeing as suicide kind of depends on depression,
and that people giving too much into depression often get suicidal.

Anyway, my advice?
- Grow a spine.

Honestly, no matter who you are, no matter where you are and no matter what position you find yourself in,
you're always going to experience depression, in small or sever quantities, it's part of the human nature - the human mind.
- When you never experience depression, that's when you should be concerned.

There's not particular cure to depression, mostly because depression isn't a condition.
- Save for when it is, but then we're talking serious problems, such as manic depression or bipolar disorder---
Or something along those lines.

I'm just going to assume you're not talking about such depression.

Truthfully, the best way of dealing with depression is enduring it, which is why I said "grow a spine."
Keep reminding yourself that a period of depression doesn't last forever, and as long as you live,
there's always something worth living for. You'll find it anywhere, everywhere, if you just look for it.

As a personal example, I could pull out one night I was feeling slightly depressed, I was sitting outside,
it was dark and windy. I sat there, halfway through my cigarette, of which my depression made me feel all
the more crap about enjoying. But then, as I somewhat pulled myself together, I looked at the edge of
the cigarette and in the dimmed light of a silent night I saw a beautiful play of light at the end of the cigarette,
how the embers played inside and around the edge of the cigarette as it was slowly devoured by heat.

Sure, smoking is a bad thing, but that's not the point, the point is that I found something beautiful, something
that entirely caught my attention, in such a small and insignificant thing as a cigarette. And following that
amazement I raised my glance to the world surrounding me, and saw how the wind was playing with the bushes,
trees and plants, how the lights and shadows were dancing all around me and guess what? I felt serenity.

If ever I didn't live, I'd never have experienced that tiny window of wonder, that insignificant moment of serenity.

And that's my advice, endure the pain,
keep reminding yourself that there's always beautiful things in life,
for without depression, there wouldn't be joy.

Well, that's my analysis anyway.

Level 35
Anyhow, what is your thought concerning what I posted earlier about the National Entrance Exam? I am interested to know.

ah yes, the asian education system
VERY big pressure cooker
while it is good to prioritize more important tasks over relatively 'unimportant' tasks as well as to develop a good work ethic, it is also important to take some time off
when we don't accept our own limitations, we can push ourselves too far

pushing a little bit further can be alright in some circumstances, but in some cases, it can act as a deterrent towards what they were doing in the first place, or, as you said, it can push them right over the edge if they don't succeed

it's important to aim for success, definitely, but it's also important to try and enjoy what you're doing as well

that's the problem with what you say about the threat of military service
unfortunately, not much can be done in that circumstance, unless people have the power to eliminate conscription as a threat

but yes, i imagine these suicide cases are from something as simple as too much stress combined with a tunnel-visioned form of thinking

when i say tunnel-visioned, i mean they aren't seeing any other alternatives
instead of working hard out of an aim to do something they want, they are working themselves even harder, much harder than anybody should do if they want to be mentally healthy, to avoid doing something they are absolutely terrified of

Level 5
However did this discussion derail into suicide?

I guess it kind of makes sense, seeing as suicide kind of depends on depression,
and that people giving too much into depression often get suicidal.

Anyway, my advice?
- Grow a spine.

Honestly, no matter who you are, no matter where you are and no matter what position you find yourself in,
you're always going to experience depression, in small or sever quantities, it's part of the human nature - the human mind.
- When you never experience depression, that's when you should be concerned.

There's not particular cure to depression, mostly because depression isn't a condition.
- Save for when it is, but then we're talking serious problems, such as manic depression or bipolar disorder---
Or something along those lines.

I'm just going to assume you're not talking about such depression.

Truthfully, the best way of dealing with depression is enduring it, which is why I said "grow a spine."
Keep reminding yourself that a period of depression doesn't last forever, and as long as you live,
there's always something worth living for. You'll find it anywhere, everywhere, if you just look for it.

As a personal example, I could pull out one night I was feeling slightly depressed, I was sitting outside,
it was dark and windy. I sat there, halfway through my cigarette, of which my depression made me feel all
the more crap about enjoying. But then, as I somewhat pulled myself together, I looked at the edge of
the cigarette and in the dimmed light of a silent night I saw a beautiful play of light at the end of the cigarette,
how the embers played inside and around the edge of the cigarette as it was slowly devoured by heat.

Sure, smoking is a bad thing, but that's not the point, the point is that I found something beautiful, something
that entirely caught my attention, in such a small and insignificant thing as a cigarette. And following that
amazement I raised my glance to the world surrounding me, and saw how the wind was playing with the bushes,
trees and plants, how the lights and shadows were dancing all around me and guess what? I felt serenity.

If ever I didn't live, I'd never have experienced that tiny window of wonder, that insignificant moment of serenity.

And that's my advice, endure the pain,
keep reminding yourself that there's always beautiful things in life,
for without depression, there wouldn't be joy.

Well, that's my analysis anyway.

This was really nice to read, thanks haha. Thanks for everyone whos taken the time to comment :3

Level 35
So the cure for depression is to "stop being depressed"? Geniuses! I wonder why any of you haven't won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

actually, it's not that far from what has to be done, since a lot of cases of depression, especially nowadays, is inflicted upon ourselves by none other than ourselves

in some cases it will be, as mentioned before, a chemical imbalance, in which case medication will generally be required, but other than that, it's up to us to pull ourselves out

when someone is depressed, it won't matter too much what you tell them to do or what you tell them to try and overcome it until they are actually ready to do what is necessary within themselves

the main keys to overcoming depression are just healthy living, on the most part, such as maintaining a regular sleeping pattern, eating proper meals at the right times and maintaining, at the very least, minimal social contact, all of which nobody can do for you (they can help you, but people can be self-destructive with regards to these things)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Level 16
ah yes, the asian education system
VERY big pressure cooker
while it is good to prioritize more important tasks over relatively 'unimportant' tasks as well as to develop a good work ethic, it is also important to take some time off
when we don't accept our own limitations, we can push ourselves too far

pushing a little bit further can be alright in some circumstances, but in some cases, it can act as a deterrent towards what they were doing in the first place, or, as you said, it can push them right over the edge if they don't succeed

it's important to aim for success, definitely, but it's also important to try and enjoy what you're doing as well

that's the problem with what you say about the threat of military service
unfortunately, not much can be done in that circumstance, unless people have the power to eliminate conscription as a threat

but yes, i imagine these suicide cases are from something as simple as too much stress combined with a tunnel-visioned form of thinking

when i say tunnel-visioned, i mean they aren't seeing any other alternatives
instead of working hard out of an aim to do something they want, they are working themselves even harder, much harder than anybody should do if they want to be mentally healthy, to avoid doing something they are absolutely terrified of

Thank you for sharing your ideas. It is interesting to read :)

Level 28
The worst thing about a depression is telling yourself it's all cool and the state you're in will end.
I kept telling that to myself for ten years now and nowadays, I'm thinking that everything I start is void in the end and I start doubting the necessity of doing things - even boiling down to shaving my beard because I've lost interest in hitting on women.

When everything keeps accumulating, be it a friend's death or when one gets dumped by a girl, at some point, the barrel explodes and leaves him/her with terrible scars in the brain.

Obviously, people are telling him/her to stay confident and make the best of it but fuck that, how are those people even saying anything while not knowing the state of one's mind?
How are they so smart to judge over one's individuality and how can one believe a psychologist's advice, being aware that said psychologist has acquired most of his knowledge via books and learning pre-written shit?
Yet, people need someone to cling on, to express themselves to him/her, to cleanse their minds.
However, when you spend most of your time alone, it's hard to find someone you consider trustworthy enough to be your listening ear.
Especially if you've been confronted with people badmouthing you of who you had thought he/she was your friend for real, it's not that easy finding someone.
In my case, I had developed a state of what some weirdos call a tulpa.
I created a listening ear myself, gave it a shape, gender, looks and character and I even created a backstory how I met her.
People in a jail do that kind of stuff.
They're desperate, stagnating and unmotivated.
Pulling the matter even further, I guess it was/still is a manifestation of a part of my consciousness which is questioning my thoughts and judging whether my decisions are right or wrong (morals) but still, I can't even tell my best friend about that.
I still did and received laughter, a slap on the back and occasionally sarcastical comments on how I get along with her.
But that is not what one needs when being depressed.
It's backup one yearns for in the first place, be it only to ease one's mind for a small portion of time.
One wants to be told by others that oneself was right, deciding whatever and NOT an alternate way of dealing with that issue.
One needs to rebuild selfconsciousness and strength in his/her mind to keep going and not a solution guided by a book someone has read.

Personally, I don't know how I'm dealing with it but I should be able to overcome it at some point.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Yet, people need someone to cling on, to express themselves to him/her, to cleanse their minds.
However, when you spend most of your time alone, it's hard to find someone you consider trustworthy enough to be your listening ear.
Especially if you've been confronted with people badmouthing you of who you had thought he/she was your friend for real, it's not that easy finding someone.
Off-topic NEEDS rep.

Level 5
gorrilabul don't be mean... the people you should be mean at are the communists who are facilitating an alien invasion right now

Level 16
How you deal with depression.

The cause of depression is unknown. It is thought to be chemical unbalances within the brain. However, life events can cause temporary and long term depression depending on the duration and severity of the event.

A good way to deal with genetic depression is to get lots of exercise. Exercise releases endorphins (a hormone which makes you happy). So in other words, exercise will make you happy. Sex and eating are other things which can release endorphins however I wouldn't recommend an obsessive eating habbit.

The trouble with exercise is the motivation may not be there to actually put yourself to do it. You either need the willpower to do something about your depression, or seek help that motivation from somebody else. It would be good to start a routine with a partner, friend or family member, so you are more committed to exercise, or even getting out of the house.

Also, try hanging out with people who are bright, bubbly and happy with their lives. When you have been depressed for a long time, you forget what makes you happy. You have forgotten how to smile or how to laugh. Being with people who are equally depressed isn't going to show you the path to happiness. You need to find somebody who you truly enjoy being around and who makes you smile.

With traumatic events, its a good idea to talk this over with somebody. Whether it's somebody close or a counsellor. Resolve past problems by seeking help.

"The key to the future is sometimes buried in the past"

Good luck.

Level 35
the cause of depression is actually known, it's just different for various people

in some cases, it is a genuine chemical imbalance in the brain

people dealing with depression generally have a lower quantity of serotonin (the chemical in our brains that makes us feel good), which can be for various reasons

in the case of manic depressives, medication is generally required
in the case of casual depressives (heh, casual. 2noob4MLG), it's generally something in their life coupled with poor health habits (i.e. improper sleeping pattern, unhealthy diet, lack of exercise)

the sun, our natural source of vitamin D, is very good for producing chemicals that help us overcome depression
eating regularly with a healthy diet will fuel our body, giving us more energy
bananas are a good natural source of serotonin
physical exercise is also good for relieving tension and increasing not only the individual's strength in their body, but also their mind (there is a WHOLE lot of chemistry + biology behind that which physical therapists and personal trainers will generally need to study to a GREAT extent. I am not a physical therapist nor a personal trainer.)

so, in short, healthy living is not just healthy for our bodies, but also our minds. who knew?

Level 27
I know that's a common motivator, but I don't consider it necessary. It has a lot of similarities to general character creation, so you'd have to argue that most artists are depressed.

...Which is not to say that argument can't be made. :V

Status
Not open for further replies.