• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How will 8MB maps change wc3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hm, just reinstalled that demonic game, and that now8mb-thing was a good point in making me do so o.o

for AoS-maps with custom heroes it's a big win, I think.
I also couldn't see much differences on lan-partys between such custom-AoS maps (not DotA, dammit) and other scenarios which use custom spells and stuff.
It's the amount of scripts that slows the game, not the models.
It only affects the download speed in Battle.net.

But I say it is the same as it is with offering your own torrents:
Don't host something unless you aren't able to offer the speed!
If you're surfing on the internet using an old router from 1995 and it works, fine, but playing online games just will be no fun for you or other players.

stop screwing around with that 'noob-stuff' - all of you started without much knowledge. you just don't need to join those games.
for music, you can simply turn off the ingame-music. 4 buttons to press, IIRC.

Now the question part:

Did they remove/increase the normal amount of possible doodads/objects?

By the way, I wouldn't mind to have the mapsize-limit increased to 10mb, wouldn't make much of a difference.
If they'd have increased it in steps of 1mb per patch you wouldn't even have noticed ;)

Anyway, after that months, are there any experience-reports? =)

Level 19
Think of the different things people can come up with, maybe a new type of map (unlike the commonly seen TDs, Mauls, AoS, RPGs, FPS, RTS and other common stuff), since they have more space to add new ideas...

Level 15
Thats only because Wc3's primitive way of handling downloads, current worldwide average internet speed is around 1.4mb/s down and 300kb/s up.

But even with 100kb/s, with which you can play Wc3, 8mb would be no problem, it's just how Wc3 does things that your stuck to I think it was 1/10th of your max speed (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.