1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

How to upload a full conversion mod?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Barade, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have a modification which must be installed as .exe setup. It adds a custom War3Mod.mpq directory. Resources here require .w3x, .w3n or w3m. I can change the extension and add instructions but why not allow it?

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I guess, you just open up a thread and link to an upload service since you can only upload a max of (some number) amount of megabytes.

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  4. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My modding days feel as though they are fading. I don't think the Company wants users to be distributing fan mods in that way, so I haven't done it since 1.27. Is it a coincidence that the game's architecture was changed enough to kill SEMPQs and other game MPQ modifying stuff?

But I guess if you've got it working, that's pretty neat. Do you have to enable "Allow Local Files" for it to work? Or is your EXE toggling that one on and off?

5. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just use the War3Mod.mpq named folder. The .exe file is an NSIS installation setup which installs this folder.

6. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Maybe upload it in moddb then plug it into Hiveworkshop?

I dont think the map resource sections has not made features yet on uploading extra and requirement files like mpq, movies, and .rar files.

7. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In the tools section since it is an .exe i guess

8. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    But you can't upload your mod on the tools section when it needs extra files. One night you upload it, you will wake up with an alert that your upload might either be moved somewhere else. Well in any way you can talk to mods to allow your mod to be uploaded on hives.

Anyways, do we have mod section in hive?

9. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pack it all into a zip file? That is how the tool section works

10. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Could be a clever idea but who would search in the tools section if they are seeking for full conversion of the game and not tools? Like if I want a pack of maps or let's just say pack of nuggets but I have to find it in a tools shop full of wrenches and unedibles. Or do I have to tell anyone else to go tools section to find my game? Somehow, few people are attracted to tools section ;(

Well, I haven't used the tools section that much because I cannot find a deprotect/protect tools there.

11. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you guys are making this harder than it needs to be.

In 2012-2013 I created the thread for my mod, the Heaven's Fall altered melee mod:
    Heaven's Fall: Melee Gameplay Mod

This thread over many years had an EXE installer available to download the mod that would add basically an expansion. So you would have Warcraft III.exe to run Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne.exe to run the Frozen Throne expansion, and Heavens Fall.exe to run Heaven's Fall. Then in-game you would see the custom races on the Race Menu if you played Heaven's Fall.

upload_2019-2-2_7-48-5.png

As long as I always wrapped the relevant EXE within a ZIP file, it was fine.

Since the Warcraft 3 game no longer supports it, you can download Heaven's Fall as its own separate game here (roughly 150 MB download):
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/heavensfallstandalone-zip.297738/

Don't be silly. There is no such thing as a protected map. Protected maps don't exist.

This is a quote from the README file included with Vexorian's Optimizer:

There is no such thing and we don't talk about it. Opening MPQs and building custom World Editors, however, is something you might find that the Hive can easily help you with.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019