• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Allow local files with a tool which places symbolic links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Since MPQDraft stopped working with the latest patch even on Windows 7, I am forced to use the Allow Local Files registry entry for my modification.
The question is how to enable and disable the mod again.
My first idea was to provide a custom .exe/script which places symbolic links in the Warcraft III directory like "ReplaceableTextures" and "UI" to the folders of my modification. It then removes the symbolic links after exitting the mod.
As far as I know, a symbolic link on Windows has the lnk extension and I am not sure if it even works with the Allow Local files option.
The important thing is that the paths stay the way they are like "UI" for example.
Another possibility would be to copy/move the directories on starting the modification and to move them back but this would take a lot of time.

At the moment, I simply install all directories into the Warcraft III directory and enable the registry entry on starting the modification and disable it on ending it. This allows to play Warcraft III afterwards but would collide with any other mod which uses the Allow local files registry entry.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.