• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Allow local files with Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
No It hasn't, but I believe you should not add "x86-64" to your path.
Just use your base Warcraft III install folder as root.

Level 12
Ok I see. I personaly only use it for the Terrain slk to be able to edit pathability :)

But I noticed I didn't need the registry entry "Allow Local Files" at all.

Level 29
How enable local files without registry
Well, this thread seems to be old, but I can tell you the actual game folder has been restructured since the latest patches.
The "x86_x64" folder has been moved to "retail" folder if you are using the very latest patches.
Since 1.32.7, the game root is a subfolder located inside the install directory, with the name of _retail_ for the retail flavour of the game and _ptr_ for the ptr flavour. As you are more likely to be playing on the retail flavour of the game, the example of a game root for 1.32.7+ is C:/Program Files/Warcraft III/_retail_
If you want to use Custom Files without registry, the only possible thing is WC3 Mod Manager:
If anybody's interested in using this tool but wonders if it works on a specific version worry not, this is still a fine tool that works on every version of Warcraft III because it creates links of the mounted mod's files/folders into Warcraft III's base directory and it's the game itself that looks for files it can load in that folder, although the actual base directory and the tool's functionalities might change depending on the game version it's used for.

Quick explanation on how to use this tool to mount mods with all versions of Warcraft III:
  • Versions that use MPQs: "Warcraft III Folder" in "Settings" = base game folder, game and World Editor can be started directly from WC3 Mod Manager's dedicated buttons.
  • Pre-Reforged CASC versions: "Warcraft III Folder" in "Settings" = base game folder (the one with "Warcraft III Launcher.exe", NOT the "x86" or "x86_64" folders), WC3 Mod Manager cannot however run the game or World Editor by itself because the binaries were moved in these versions
  • Reforged Retail: "Warcraft III Folder" in "Settings" = base game folder\_retail_, as above WC3 Mod Manager cannot run the executables by itself
  • Reforged PTR: "Warcraft III Folder" in "Settings" = base game folder\_ptr_, as above WC3 Mod Manager cannot run the executables by itself
Ah, and don't forget to always have "Allow Local Files" active in the tool itself, depending on the version and on how your install is set up it might not actually be necessary but it doesn't hurt to have that active either way.
To summarize, you can ONLY launch the game and World Editor directly with this tool if you have Warcraft III with MPQs (1.29 or below). For pre-Reforged CASC (1.30-1.31) or Reforged client, you MUST start the game and World Editor manually.

Level 17
Well, this thread seems to be old, but I can tell you the actual game folder has been restructured since the latest patches.
The "x86_x64" folder has been moved to "retail" folder if you are using the very latest patches.

If you want to use Custom Files without registry, the only possible thing is WC3 Mod Manager:

To summarize, you can ONLY launch the game and World Editor directly with this tool if you have Warcraft III with MPQs (1.29 or below). For pre-Reforged CASC (1.30-1.31) or Reforged client, you MUST start the game and World Editor manually.
This is not very factual to say the least. Local Files cannot be done without modifying the registry once again, and that mod manager sets that registry key up here.

Custom files without local files means you'd have to modify the game MPQs which is an awful practice (except War3Mod.MPQ on 1.29 which I won't go into detail about because it's not about the versions related to this post) and thankfully impossible on 1.30+.

@Herod The very thing that enables local files is the registry key called "Allow Local Files". If you're for some weird and bad reason scared to touch your registry by yourself, my tutorial on Local Files includes a file you can double-click to set up registry on Windows, as well as a precise command for Mac.

Also please refrain from necroposting Herod

Level 10
Greetings!
I just don't understand.. I have 1.33.0 version and for the first time i wanted to try to make step cliff, so i read the tutorial here and then nothing happen..
I edited that: Allow Local Files is on (1) - and i created a ui folder in D:\Aplications\BattleNet Games\Warcraft III\ui with MiscData.txt in it, then i restarted the editor and i still can't make step cliff.. Maybe the latest patch broke something? or is a special technique to make step cliff? i really don't know..
The help will be appreciated!

Level 29
Greetings!
I just don't understand.. I have 1.33.0 version and for the first time i wanted to try to make step cliff, so i read the tutorial here and then nothing happen..
I edited that: Allow Local Files is on (1) - and i created a ui folder in D:\Aplications\BattleNet Games\Warcraft III\ui with MiscData.txt in it, then i restarted the editor and i still can't make step cliff.. Maybe the latest patch broke something? or is a special technique to make step cliff? i really don't know..
The help will be appreciated!
Refer to my post above. You need to place the custom files in "retail" if you are using the Reforged, assuming the Local Files is on.
However, it's nigh impossible to do this on August 17th, 2022 Reforged patch since many users have reported big problems when you attempt to do this trick with the very latest patches.
As Vendro said, anything that will change the game data (including the "MiscData.txt" one) will produce a substantial amount of leaks that can led to high RAM usage, resulting in a constant game crashing if you have a insufficient RAM.

Level 10
You need to place the custom files in "retail" if you are using the Reforged
I put "ui" in "retail" folder and still don't work.. I use Reforged, but only the classic old editor.
I think is still broken because of the last patch as you said..
will produce a substantial amount of leaks
Oh god.. i think is time to stay only with the classic old editor..
Thank you for the answer. :peasant-work-work:

Level 11
how does this works for reforged? i forgot how the folder structure works
Also the flac shit they used for it is broken compared to the old mp3 format

Status
Not open for further replies.