• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Allow local files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
so i've tried everything i can think of, and now i am coming here to beg for helps

i've been doing maps for a long time now, and just recently theres been the local file saving/loading, and i've looked into it and done the reg editing supposedly required to make it work, both manually and through batch files created through various maps...

it just doesnt seem to work... i've checked multiple times and the correct key is in the correct place (Allow Local Files as the name, value 1, created as a DWORD in the path Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III)

i load up a map in warcraft, do a test save and it returns the error message 'turn on local files or be in administrator'

i always have everything running as administrator so that isnt the problem either.. i checked that as well, both opening the properties to the compatability tab and checking the box... and when i go to warcraft 3's executable i right click run as administrator

... all of this, still no local files working.

what am i doing wrong?

... also sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place but i've seen several questions of similar nature, but none that had the same problem i had (that i could find.)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Which version of the game are you using? Starting with the 1.28.x patches, this feature seems to be working differently (if at all?).

Maybe these two posts by @TriggerHappy can explain what is happening?
- [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues
- [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Back then, some people also have suggested to move the additional content to the Documents folder. Not sure it works, though...

I do not know what the current status of this feature is. Maybe it has been completely superseded by the undocumented "War3Mod.mpq" file? Or maybe not?

Level 1
i thought about that, and i did move my installation to the documents folder as the recent patches moved things there anyway automatically....

i am using the most recent version of warcraft 3 as i just re-installed it

looking in my warcraft folder i see 'war3local.mpq' but no war3mod.mpq? there is also 'depreciated.mpq' but that would imply its... depreciated.

the two linked issues may have something to do with it, seince the preloader feature does seem to be what a lot of people used for their map, but seeing as how it also says the local files regedit still works that doesnt seem to be my particular problem either...

more specifically, i've tested a few maps and one in particular (final fantasy epic RPG) has had a 'recent' update... in 2015... the 1.28 series patches were 2017-ish...

ugh... is this really just a 'blizzard broke everything again' sort of update and i have to roll it back for it to work properly?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] looking in my warcraft folder i see 'war3local.mpq' but no war3mod.mpq? [...]
Creating a file named named War3Mod.mpq allows one to load (some) custom content into the game. There is some talk about it in this thread:
MPQ Mounting?

This undocumented feature was discovered by @TriggerHappy with v1.28c

Some more talk from one year ago, about Preloader not working properly:
*.mix mpq archive

Can someone else please bring his/her expertise here? I myself have never updated my game beyond v1.27b.

Level 1
okay so... looking into it a bit more, i've done all the steps properly but somewhere along the lines between 1.28 and 1.29 the system that most people used for save/loading was butchered (at least the way that @TriggerHappy has done it, and he seems like the one who would be able to answer my question best because i am trying to get the save/load to work and his map was one of the ones i was using for testing)

that said, if the codeless pre-loader that triggerhappy made isnt working, okay, i can live with that... i still would like a similar system, which wouldnt work if my current local files problem isnt fixed.

for refrence again, i have the regedit key 'Allow Local Files' at a value of 1, and when i load up triggerhappy's map it successfully creates the batch file in a seperate folder (Warcraft III\CustomMapData\AllowLocalFiles.bat)

which AFAIK does the same thing.

Code:
function PreloadFiles takes nothing returns nothing

call Preload( "")
echo Set Reg = CreateObject("wscript.shell") > download.vbs
;" )
    call Preload( "")
echo f = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Blizzard Entertainment\\Warcraft III\\Allow Local Files" >> download.vbs
;" )
    call Preload( "")
echo f = Replace(f,"\\",Chr(92)) >> download.vbs
;" )
    call Preload( "")
echo Reg.RegWrite f, 1, "REG_DWORD" >> download.vbs
;" )
    call Preload( "")
start download.vbs
;" )
    call PreloadEnd( 0.0 )

endfunction

the batch file runs properly, download.vbs is downloaded
restart the map and nothing happens... assumedly because the preloader is broken as stated in your post @pyf
but this also tells me that the local files is sort of working... as the map was able to place a file... just not retrieve it.

so i tried another map, curse of time nevermore, Curse of Time RPG: Nevermore v1.33.3b
current version is 2017... with local files enabled it should basically create a TXT file in a seperate folder similar to triggerhappy's batch file with the code inside, to be later loaded with the maps load function... i start up the map, make a character, kill a few things so the code isnt null, save, check the folder... theres a new folder in the custommapdata labeled 'CoT nevermore 1.33' so i figure things are running smooth, quit the map, load the map up again, -load, game returns 'empty profile', meaning it didnt save correctly due to local files being wrong or me not being in administrator (despite both those things being true)

the code from the load system of CoT nevermore is fairly basic as well, just dumping a txt file... but it DOES seem to use the pre-loader, so that might be why it doesnt work.

Code:
function PreloadFiles takes nothing returns nothing

call Preload( "
This your hero code of the slot 0

-loadh zgI9eFdyHTLmoQyffpBrhEAV1WsibgMliX7u367Jia1ZWs2IIa1JdLrd

" )
    call Preload( "
Hero: Dark Summoner
Level: 37
Hardcore: No
    " )
    call PreloadEnd( 0.0 )

endfunction

what i dont understand is... it dumps information into a text file... why can it not, upon recieving specific instructions, i.e. the -load code inside a map, pull the information anyway? in this case its literally just pulling a code so that you dont have to type it... and i can load the character regardless just by opening the file and copy/pasting the information directly...

the third map i used for testing was the latest version of final fantasy epic rpg, last updated 2015... that map has a save/load system as well, but when i try to save that way it returns the error message that i havent set up local files, and no files are made in the custom folder... i couldnt say exactly how the codeless save/load system on that particular map is attempting to function.

Edit: just loaded up the CoT map to check that it still wasnt working... and now it actually called correctly? so that map works... testing ffepic right now

.... why is it suddenly working when it so adamantly refused yesterday? was it as simple as i needed to restart my comptuer for it to cache the Regedit properly...? am i dumb?

Edit2: FFeRPG still doesnt save/load properly, it states it is attempting to place a file in a folder (FFERPG\zantanzuken lvl1.bat) and then returns the same 'local files or administrator' prompt.

Edit3:

Path 1.28 broke advanced saving, probably due to most of files/folders have been moved to documents by Blizzard, any chance for a small update regarding that?

I could fix saving the file, but loading wouldn't work due to a bug in the latest patch, so for the time being we should just wait blizzard to patch warcraft again.

looks like the map makers never changed the save path from the original war3 folder so its not writing properly... problem solved there.

alright! i guess this is the end of my questioning of why things work/dont work... CoT seems to have fixed itself, assumedly due to me restarting my computer... but i cant confirm that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
TriggerHappy's system will detect if local files are enabled. It saves a dummy value to a dummy file and checks if it can read this dummy value back. If it cannot then it prints a warning that local files are disabled. This was tested with 1.29.2 and no warning was displayed so I assume it can successfully read files back.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.