• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Local files vs MPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
[definition of local files: altering the model/blp files without having to change the mpq itself. Only requires folders in the warcraft 3 directory with the same path as the model/blp to alter it.]

Is there any difference between using local files and changing the mpq itself in terms of gameplay performance? I'm unsure of this because when i alter the background music by local files, it does have a very brief lag/spike before it starts to play. If i alter it directly in the mpq, the lag/spike seems to be eliminated.

p/s: To clear things out, yes, my desktop isn't very high in performance. my warcraft 3 settings isn't the highest settings possible to have an acceptable gameplay.

Level 12
I think only large files such as musics will have slight problems. other things such as models, sounds seems to be ok. looks like i might need to cancel the idea of custom background musics through local files. D:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is there any difference between using local files and changing the mpq itself in terms of gameplay performance? I'm unsure of this because when i alter the background music by local files, it does have a very brief lag/spike before it starts to play. If i alter it directly in the mpq, the lag/spike seems to be eliminated.
This is probably due to caching. As a .mpq is a single file your OS might cache parts of it into memory which are not needed but are near where data is being loaded from that is needed. With enough memory it might even cache the whole .mpq archive into your memory so no more reads are needed. As such there is no seek and read delay which are extreemly slow opperations on mechanical hard disks.

When the music file is separate, the data will only be loaded into memory the instance it is needed (which causes the game engine to wait and thus appear frozen for a while). Ofcourse once it is loaded it will probably be cached meaning that subsiquent uses will be much faster (unless you run out of memory which will cause all caches to have to be flushed).

Caching, the reason why WC3 takes 10 odd seconds to start on my system but subsiquent starts take less than 1.

Level 12
Thank you Dr Super Good. i was going to ask you but look's like you've replied here. Thx alot for the detailed explanation. =)

@Troll-Brain
The local file idea is not meant for a map i'm making. just a little experiment for something else. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.