• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to optimize/"best Warcraft Reforged settings"?

Level 5
reforged gfx enabled = game run poorly, I couldn't find a decent guide to remedy this.
I wouldnt normally dare reforged graphics, but that custom WC2 campaign is pretty great! Act 2 much better than first.

10700 @3.80ghz, rtx3090, 32gb, nvme drive, updated drivers, Win11 or w/e (with many services disabled). 60hz@5k barely 50fps, usually 20-40fps. Any idea?

Any other advice?
Best I found: (comment and Ill edit... compile advice? little hope there is for Reforged gfx)
  • disable Nvidia Low Latency mode (nvidia control panel)
  • disable (wc3 in game) 'Options > Input > Reduce Mouse Lag' Tooltip was not kidding about "may drastically reduce frames")
  • turn all wc3 in game graphic settings to lowest (save textures, vram willing)
  • try playing with classic graphics instead of Reforged

Attachments

• refuqdgfx.jpg
    refuqdgfx.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Some ideas
  1. Go into windows graphics settings and if you have 2 GPUs, pick the faster one for the Reforged program. Sometimes task manager shows which one is in use (for example, if your processor has Intel HD Graphics but then if you also have an nVidia RTS 3090, then it might give you two options and Reforged would tend to choose the Intel and then lag because it's dumb like that)
  2. Maybe make some kind of game model with simpler 3D files that describe the same visuals using modding tools. It's probably possible but I never bothered to try
  3. Maybe try playing with classic graphics instead of Reforged

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do you have a GTX 1070? or a RTX 3090? Or did you mean an Intel i7 10700?

Reforged graphics were not that well optmised. To make matters worse is that custom maps often relied on WC3 being easy to run so some might not be playable with Reforged graphics due to excessive asset spam that worked fine with classic graphics but runs out of VRAM or memory with reforged graphics. In cases like these it might not be possible to get a good frame rate on currently existing hardware.

I would recommend trying to identify where the performance bottle neck is with your system. I think Intel GPA might help with this, but it might be a very technical tool that casual people struggle to use.