• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make items unselectable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
In the map that I'm currently making the player has to pick up a lot of items which give like 25 HP on pick up and such. As I was testing it became very tedious to right-click all of them once they were dropped from the enemies. I managed to make all items of the powerup type be picked up when a hero with an inventory comes within a certain radius. Now it sort of clashes with the right-click method.

My question is: Is there a way to make items unselectable?

I tried adding Locust to the Gold Coins and it didn't work, but it did transfer Locust to the unit that picked it up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Level 24
You cant pickup those items though.

What you could do is make a de-locusted unit (which makes it unselectable but still clickable, unlike locusted units) and then catch smart orders to pickup the item.

I could easily make this working, but then item types have to be linked to unit types.
That is something that is slightly harder to pull of... or it is a pain to configure.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Fake the items entirely. Have special effects be the models. When you approach the area they then add health. Special effects cannot be selected. A dynamic region (cells added dynamically) can be used for efficiency to detect when a unit is nearby rather than having to use a custom quad tree or other space orientated structure.

You cant pickup those items though.

What you could do is make a de-locusted unit (which makes it unselectable but still clickable, unlike locusted units) and then catch smart orders to pickup the item.

I could easily make this working, but then item types have to be linked to unit types.
That is something that is slightly harder to pull of... or it is a pain to configure.

Well...

In the map that I'm currently making the player has to pick up a lot of items which give like 25 HP on pick up and such. As I was testing it became very tedious to right-click all of them once they were dropped from the enemies. I managed to make all items of the powerup type be picked up when a hero with an inventory comes within a certain radius.

It's what he wanted, and you can pick up those items with triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.