• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to: Import models into World Editor

Level 3
I'm going to teach you the basics of importing a model. When you download a model, it should come with a .mdx file and 1 or more .blp files. You must import all of the files that came with the model except for the readme's. Then in import manager, import the file then change the "Full Path" of the model/skin to just the name. Ex. war3mapImported\NAME.blp. Remove the "war3mapImported" part and you are finished with this step. The next step is to change the "Art - Model File" of a unit. All you have to do when doing this is double-click the "Art - Model File" of a unit and then click "Import:" and then select the .mdx file. After that, you should save, exit World Editor and then start World Editor back up again. Doing so will save the imported file onto the unit so it will work. If you don't do this step you will end up with a box as the unit and not the actual unit. Now you are finished! When you place the unit on your map it will be the model file that you downloaded. Happy map making and enjoy!

Level 3
What about the textures then? and there is always a guide,like Linaze "linked"

well the textures (.blp) go along with the model (.mdx) it's weird cuz really u don't have to do anything with the textures except rename it. then u jus change the model art for a unit and the textures go along with it. ya it is weird and complicated but not when u get the hang of it

First of all, before me I see only a wall of text that does not follow the Hive's Tutorial Submission rules at all, you're lacking a title, headers and the formatting is overall a complete cluster fuck.
Secondly, there is this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models.php?id=x5wwpx&p=tutorial_import

first of all i wuz too lazy to follow the submission rules and second that tutorial doesn't include all of the details. so i jus wrote this tutorial up really fast in like 5 minutes and didn't try to make it perfect AT ALL. so really idc unless they take the tutorial down than ill make a new 1 that follows the rules. :xxd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
well the textures (.blp) go along with the model (.mdx) it's weird cuz really u don't have to do anything with the textures except rename it. then u jus change the model art for a unit and the textures go along with it. ya it is weird and complicated but not when u get the hang of it

If you know, you will need to edit it to:
Textures/Name.blp
-_-