• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HOW TO IMPORT MODELS - by Mecheon

IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THESE INSTRUCTIONS, THEN I SUGGEST YOU QUIT WC3 MODDING

Ready?

Firstly, go and find the model you want to import, and download the bugger. Do NOT close the page however. Seeing as I am the models section mod, for the purpose of this tutorial we'll use the following models

1. Giant Deer, model by Mecheon, skin by olofmoleman
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Models&ID=1992

2. Dragoon, model by Sansui
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Models&ID=1914

3. Elven Statue, by Dmitry Rommel
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Models&ID=1837

Why have I picked these three models? Because each one has a different path type. A "Units\*something*", a "Textures" and a "*blank*"

Ok, extract the model you have downloaded. Make sure to extract EVERYTHING FROM THE ZIP FILE, OTHERWISE YOU'RE AN IDIOT

Once that is done, import EVERYTHING from the zip file. The model, and all blp files. Now comes the easy, obvious part which so many of you get stuck on: The paths

Look at the page of your model, and look for the part which says USED TEXTURES. You'll notice that there are some YELLOW textures, and they should match the ones that you've imported. You CHANGE THE PATHS SO THEY MATCH

Now, lets do this with our downloaded models!

The Giant Deer's skin goes at "Units\Creeps\GiantDeer\GiantDeer.blp" Some WC3 models use paths like this, and basicaly every model I do uses it as well

Sansui's Dragoon goes at "Dragoon.blp" Notice how there is NOTHING in front of it. Make sure it stays like that

The several textures of Rommel's statue all go at "Textures\*skin name*". Models can use more than one skin file, however they have to be different geosets linked up to different materials

Anywho, with that done save your map, close WE, and then open it again. The models SHOULD be working if you got the paths EXACTLY right

Ok, maybe THIS will stop the constant topics about importing... =3

EDIT: FOR THE LOVE OF FECKING GOD, IGNORE THE MDL ERROR THING! IT MEANS YOU FAIL AT SKIN IMPORTING OR YOUR MODEL FAILS ANYWAY!

And if a skin isn't in the zip, its in WARCRAFT 3. IGNORE THE DAMNED THING AND IMPORT WHAT YOU NEED TO IMPORT

For god sakes....

EDIT AGAIN

Yay for add on part

Now, this new one will deal with another problem

This is Jigrael's Naga Royal Guard model

http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Models&ID=2985

As you can see, it has four skins

... Or does it?

Two of those skins (The ones starting with Textures) are actually ingame skins, and depending on the uploader, importing them can be bad, as some people like to replace them with blank useless skins that don't work

To know which ones are ingame skins, your best bet is to download WC3 Viewer from the tools section and then check out what the game has in textures and such. The most common skins you'll find are ones such as "Gutz", used for unit corpses, and "team***", used for hero glows and team colours

Level 2
wen i went to go load those models there was nothing there??? i thought that the models needed to be .MDX to work??? wanna a help me here

Level 2
" Look at the page of your model, and look for the part which says USED TEXTURES. You'll notice that there are some YELLOW textures, and they should match the ones that you've imported. You CHANGE THE PATHS SO THEY MATCH "

I don't get it.What PAGE are you talking about? where is this PAGE?
:? :? :?

Level 2
DeadDogNoGoWoof said:
the page that you downloaded your model from.

i hope you are hit by a fast-moving train.

But I DIDN'T download it! I made it myself.I just eddited a BANDIT skin. Now I just want to try out the new skin for the BANDIT but I don't know what the path is :( pls help me

Level 12
I couldnt get this one 2 work

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=1145&sid=011062c4966a8fa088756746b36e6865

I dl'd it, extracted, imported, saved map, opened gave a unit that model didnt work.

The link doesnt actually give a path for the model does he?

I've tried several otheres and they worked fine without even having to alter the model path, is that hero abom just not working or am I doing something wrong.

thank you

Level 2
wtf!?

Ok I have a question, I did everything perfect a couple times even, and I goto a unit and click Art - Model file or whatever and then click the second bullet and hit ok (and its the .mdx which I imported) and it automatically changes it to custom .mdl... wtf!?

Level 1
I Gotta question

After downloading the MDX files and stuff with the zip files and importing them into your map, How do i change the properties of a unit (e.g. changing Arthas's appearance to Mace Windu "from star wars" using MaceWindu2.mdx) so that my imported model can be seen on the World editor as well as the game when testing the map? and does this kind of thing work with all units and stuff in the editor?

Level 3
ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof ALL HAIL DeadDogNoGoWoof
Sorry for that but ive been getting pissed cuz i havnt been able to dl models, and i really need to cuz of a huge map im doing. All the other tutorials must have messed me up but yours is simple enough for my moronic mind to comprehend :D

Level 12
Two of those skins (The ones starting with Textures) are actually ingame skins, and depending on the uploader, importing them can be bad, as some people like to replace them with blank useless skins that don't work

They like to do so? I guess the script forcing them to upload skins that are already in game has nothing to do with it

Level 1
Ok, I followed everything in the instructions. After I downloaded the model from the page I unzipped eveything. The model the portrait, and the .blp. Then I used the import manager (the one on the tool bar, and the one in the campaign editor for good measure) and brought everything in. I changed the .blp file path so it matched exactly with the one posted on the page. I didn't change the model path because there was no mention of this in your tutorial. I saved, I exited, and opened the map back up and I couldn't find the thing anywhere. What step am I missing? You can insult me in any way you want, just tell me how to do it.

Level 25

That's the actual made units. You want the MODEL part of the thing. The unit's appearance. Things aren't going to appear as new units for no reason

I'd post screenshots, but I'm sneaking on a school computer here since they reimaged them to not use the school network so I can actually browse in safety without a risk. And download and install junk

Level 25
Firstly, you click on a unit. Like the peasant.

Then you scroll down to the "Appearance" settings. You'll see one for icon, and another for model. Double click on model

Then click "Imported Models", I believe it is

Level 4
I just imported 10 models (very low file size) and they are attachments...I can't figure out how to attach them to a unit... Bleh. :(

Level 2
Ok well i dled the model from wc3campaigns and they dont show their paths. what do i do then? :p
Edit: never mind i just didnt remember seeing the paths :roll:

Level 2
Xander, you said:
just imported 10 models (very low file size) and they are attachments...I can't figure out how to attach them to a unit... Bleh.

Its quite easy
1. Open you map (well duh!)
2. Open the triggers editer or whatever youd like to call it
3. make a trigger where the trigger thingy should be
4. 'Show all triggers' should be selected :p
5. look for "Special Effects: Create Effect on unit"
6. It will show in blue text : Over head, Triggering Unit , (and some sort of spell ability model)
7. now select the overhead and then type in where you want it... like left hand i think or right w/e you want
8. then select the triggering unit after that and select the unit you want effected
9.then select the ability thingy and select the model you want.
10.Thats it and it should work.

you also might have to create a trigger 'when unit picks up item' i think... but this is what i can tell you so far