• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to get past the maximum doodad/destructible cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
World editor unlimited allows one to bypass this cap, but does not work with versions past 1.29. Does blizzard plan to remove this cap? Is there any other way around it?

Level 7
I think he meant in patches after 1.29 as neither WEX or JNGP supports 1.30.4+ and the doodad cap is just 30k (way too little for a 480x480 map).

You'd be correct. As of now, I am going to resort to silly stuff like making tons of trees/rocks be inside of the same model, so they are technically only 1 doodad.

You'd be correct. As of now, I am going to resort to silly stuff like making tons of trees/rocks be inside of the same model, so they are technically only 1 doodad.

I had that same thought but I'm not able to do it technically. If you make a patch of shrub doodad I would absolutely love it if you can send it to me too.

Level 8
One way to go about it, is to spawn your doodads/destructibles in-game.
For animated doodads such as the fire and whatnot in the Cinematic category, I find that it actually improves map performance significantly to summon them when needed and remove them when no longer relevant.
This is obviously a clunky approach when you are designing landscapes, but for certain minor details it can work quite nicely.

One way to go about it, is to spawn your doodads/destructibles in-game.
For animated doodads such as the fire and whatnot in the Cinematic category, I find that it actually improves map performance significantly to summon them when needed and remove them when no longer relevant.
This is obviously a clunky approach when you are designing landscapes, but for certain minor details it can work quite nicely.

Unfortunately this approach won't work very well as my main problem is the landscape. I have 6 different terrain zones that needs to be filled with doodads. I have around 3k doodads left and I still have a whole zone to make. Luckily it's a relatively small zone.

Level 8
Unfortunately this approach won't work very well as my main problem is the landscape. I have 6 different terrain zones that needs to be filled with doodads. I have around 3k doodads left and I still have a whole zone to make. Luckily it's a relatively small zone.
If you have clustered terrain, you could use cluster dummies to run trigger that selects all dummies and spawns a cluster pattern of the terrain at each dummy.
It could work with clumps of rocks and trees, but it'd be particularly easy to do with tiny things with no collision, like flowers and scrubs.
I have no idea how much effort making a "clutter model" involves, nor how taxing those are on the maps load, nor how prone to errors it would be, but if you run into any problems with it, you could consider this approach I suppose.

The solution I came up was making custom, giant pathing blockers. Pathing blockers, along with trees/rocks on the edges of the map, were most of the doodads.

This is extremely useful for anyone who is having problems with this. Pathing - Everything about it

Sounds interesting. I am out of town at the moment but I will check it when I get back home.

Can you explain in more detail what you did to the pathing blockers?

Level 14
This is one of the main reasons I haven’t updated to the newest patches yet. That and I’m terrified that it would break my campaign and I would lose years of work. I feel like these patches may be great for new projects, but old ones that have been around forever kind of get screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.