• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How many players will SC2 handle??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Bear in mind that what ppl now say SCII runs yay, is for beta and few players. How well it will run for say 3v3 4v4 ++ who knows, it may lag. I don't touch more than 2v2 but for custom maps I hope 12 players won't be too hard on the specs, coz I'd play some like Dota (Defenders of the Aliens), I mean LOL. Or they showed a shooter game like you're a spaceship and fly and kill things, that will be nice too esp with 12 players.

Level 8
In the Battle.Net 2.0 video, they created a game of "DotA" and it had 10 players (I would like to note that the computer players for the north and south factions were distinctly missing). So there are for sure 10 players. I'm hoping that there is at least 12 players, if not more. More players could make ORPG maps more fun.

EDIT: For normal melee, yea I agree with the 8 player limit. 16 would be very nice.

Level 13
It seems the in-engine limit is 32. Generally, there are 4 neutral slots. Starcraft had IIRC 4 neutral slots, meaning its engine limit was 12 (8 playable). WarCraft III was of course 16 (12 playable). I'm guessing there will be 28 playable slots at the most in custom games.

Level 6
A while back Blizzard said they were aiming on about 16-18 team colors excluding black, but that it didn't mean they will have 16-18 players. 12 players is more likely. I don't know if the average computer today could support 16-18 players without any lag. Just think about; if there will be 200 units max for each player than multiply that by 18 and you get about 1800 units on one map. That could get laggy. I'm not sure if the majority of people's computers can handle that?

Level 8
18 x 200 actually makes 3600 :D
And it's hard to believe that all 18 players will train mass small units.And engine could be some way optimized to handle many units too.

But I got to agree that there would be too much units spawned.
From other hand that won't affect custom maps that are about one hero only to every player.

Level 6
18 x 200 actually makes 3600 :D
And it's hard to believe that all 18 players will train mass small units.And engine could be some way optimized to handle many units too.

But I got to agree that there would be too much units spawned.
From other hand that won't affect custom maps that are about one hero only to every player.

My bad, I was doing it in my head and forgot the place holder zero. Thanks for the correction.

That is a lot of units for one map. I don't think the average computer(which SC2 is expected to be compatible with) can handle that without lag. Maybe in 5-10 years computers probably could, but I just don't see it happening right now.

12 players at the most is my guess.

Level 22
That makes sense. War3 ladder was max 4v4, anything above that would be silly, not that 3v3 and 4v4 isn't. Which is why FFAs also consisted of max 6 players (or 4 not sure as I dont play FFA luck). 16 players would be a lot, 8v8 o_O each makes 400 zerglings = 64000 units on the map, ok 10000 units for not being 200 limit. GL making a game without OUT OF MEMORY. It would be too much even for games like Dota or an RPG, 12 is just fine/

Level 6
That makes sense. War3 ladder was max 4v4, anything above that would be silly, not that 3v3 and 4v4 isn't. Which is why FFAs also consisted of max 6 players (or 4 not sure as I dont play FFA luck). 16 players would be a lot, 8v8 o_O each makes 400 zerglings = 64000 units on the map, ok 10000 units for not being 200 limit. GL making a game without OUT OF MEMORY. It would be too much even for games like Dota or an RPG, 12 is just fine/

But, boy would that be fun. 8vrs8 on a huge map with tons of resources. That's a lot of units. I'd probably get over a 1000 kills with one siege tank.

Level 3
i checked the starcraft 2 wiki. it didnt list 12 players as a change. therefore it is logical to assume that 8 players is maximum.

You don't seem to understand.

Melee = Ladder games hosted by battle.net (Blizzard)
Custom Games = Server hosted by players

Warcraft 3,
Melee = 8 players
Custom = 12 players

Starcraft 2,
Melee = 8 players
Custom = 12 players

It's that simple.

Level 8
The version you played is BETA. Its not fully complete. And what more proof do you want? The guy MAKING THE GAME said atleast 12.

Level 17
i trust my own eyes.

What the heck is it that you do not understand?
Do you have any problems reading english?
Do you just refuse to agree with the games lead designer.
He said ATLEAST 12 PLAYERS and what you play is a freaking beta of the starcraft 2 melee. Custom games WILL support 12 players.
You better change your mind about this or just keep quiet, you are wrong, and you know it.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDLOfIDi2N4&#t=1m
Woah.. just look at that... That was a game from 09, with david kim playing, and guess what... There were 16 freaking slots in the lobby.
And if you think "well, it does not look like that anymore..".. What the heck.. The UI is not related to how many players you can be, and it would be insane to change the cap from 16 down to 8.
Now, your eyes have seen proof, live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.