1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How many players will SC2 handle??

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Shiroaisu, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    A while back Blizzard said they were aiming on about 16-18 team colors excluding black, but that it didn't mean they will have 16-18 players. 12 players is more likely. I don't know if the average computer today could support 16-18 players without any lag. Just think about; if there will be 200 units max for each player than multiply that by 18 and you get about 1800 units on one map. That could get laggy. I'm not sure if the majority of people's computers can handle that?

2. JansiGX

JansiGX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    18 x 200 actually makes 3600 :D
    And it's hard to believe that all 18 players will train mass small units.And engine could be some way optimized to handle many units too.

But I got to agree that there would be too much units spawned.
    From other hand that won't affect custom maps that are about one hero only to every player.

3. warman45

warman45

Resources:
    Resources:
    i think they should have 20 for custom games *slaps self up head* HEY half of them will leave within 5 minuets anyways *says to self* you know, you got a point.

4. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    My bad, I was doing it in my head and forgot the place holder zero. Thanks for the correction.

That is a lot of units for one map. I don't think the average computer(which SC2 is expected to be compatible with) can handle that without lag. Maybe in 5-10 years computers probably could, but I just don't see it happening right now.

12 players at the most is my guess.

5. RoughneckLeader

RoughneckLeader

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I hope we still have access to that many players anyway, for the good of non-epic maps like RPG and TPS shooter maps (I'm seeing/estimating more TPS than FPS in future maps).

6. Teldrassil

Teldrassil

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The highest amount of players on any of the basic melee maps in the SC2 beta is 8. 4 on 4 or 8 player FFA. When it comes to custom maps I don't know for sure, hope this helps a bit.

7. Billy the Cat

Billy the Cat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Somewhere I think I read it was 8 players for Ladder games and 12 for non-Ladder.
    Forgot the source of information.

8. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just search the Battle.net forums. Dustin Browder recently told us that they currently only allow 12 players for custom maps.

9. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That makes sense. War3 ladder was max 4v4, anything above that would be silly, not that 3v3 and 4v4 isn't. Which is why FFAs also consisted of max 6 players (or 4 not sure as I dont play FFA luck). 16 players would be a lot, 8v8 o_O each makes 400 zerglings = 64000 units on the map, ok 10000 units for not being 200 limit. GL making a game without OUT OF MEMORY. It would be too much even for games like Dota or an RPG, 12 is just fine/

10. Billy the Cat

Billy the Cat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah yes that's where I read it. :D
    Thanks!

11. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:

But, boy would that be fun. 8vrs8 on a huge map with tons of resources. That's a lot of units. I'd probably get over a 1000 kills with one siege tank.

12. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    the full version will support up to 8 players. just like the original.

13. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dustin Browder stated up to 12 players in custom games and 8 players in melee.

14. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    the game will only support 8 players. live with it or ask blizzard to change it.

15. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It supports 12 players but only 8 will be max for melee.

16. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i have played it. it only supports 8 players. other than that, gamereactor say that it supports up to 8 players. sorry to burst your bubble.

17. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is only limited to 8 for melee while 12 is available for custom games. Stated by Dustin Browder himself lead designer of StarCraft II.

18. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i checked the starcraft 2 wiki. it didnt list 12 players as a change. therefore it is logical to assume that 8 players is maximum.

19. Fussiler1

Fussiler1

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But Dustin Browder stated it himself.

20. CrashLemon

CrashLemon

Resources:
    Resources:
    You don't seem to understand.

Melee = Ladder games hosted by battle.net (Blizzard)
    Custom Games = Server hosted by players

Warcraft 3,
    Melee = 8 players
    Custom = 12 players

Starcraft 2,
    Melee = 8 players
    Custom = 12 players

It's that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.