• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How good do you think you are at Warcraft III Modding?

How good are you at Warcraft III Programming?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 is the lowest, 10 is the highest.

If you think you need to describe your competence with a number like 6.8, just round your score. 7.5 would be rounded to 8. 7.4 would be rounded to 7.

I'm studying the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Let's see how well it applies to this community.

Also, ignore the "Programming" part in the question. I meant modding, not programming.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
is that trolling allowed? :p

I dare to click 9. But I don't.. :p

have thought about that and imo, there's no one here is able to reach even 8.
Each user has their speciality and no one can master every field in wc3 modding
I'm just 4 then.. since I'm crap in modeling, texturing, terraining, and manymore..
I'm a coder and my score is only about 6/10 since I'm not good at vJass.
so actually 4/10 is just too high for me.. how sad D:

Level 37
Terrain : 7/10
Triggering [GUI] : 7/10
Object Editor : 10/10
Model Making : 1/10
Skins Making : 1/10
Icons Making : 1/10
Total : 27/60

But it's not about the skills, it's about the passion to create something. Also you don't need to create the most awesome resources ever. The most important thing is that you enjoy making your resources and others enjoy using your resources.

Level 25
You need to define modding.
Does it include creating custom assets or using provided assets to produce something or both.

Since a lot of people specialize in areas like texturing/modeling/scripting it's unlikely to ever see a person capable of performing all such tasks in a high standard.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You need to define modding.
Does it include creating custom assets or using provided assets to produce something or both.

Since a lot of people specialize in areas like texturing/modeling/scripting it's unlikely to ever see a person capable of performing all such tasks in a high standard.
Yeah, I was gonna click 5, but, when I read someone mentioning modeling and so, I guess it's not adequate.

I know JASS and understand vJASS (don't know the difference between modules and libraries though, for example) even though I've never used it, Zinc, Wurst or any other extensions. I know a few tricks within the World Editor's terrain and object editors. That's about it. I'm terrible at anything art-related, therefore model, icon and skin design is a field where I'm oblivious.

Like I said — and I'm not rating against the test —, the knowledge of the innards of the World Editor itself would call for a 7. However, taking import construction into the equation and considering I'm so lazy that my “legacy” amounts to only a few melee maps — some of mediocre quality which I removed (or would remove if I could delete my own maps, which I can't for some reason) —, it figures that perhaps 4 or 5 is more adequate, probably the first.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I'm proud to mention two gays around hive that IMO have the best quality and skill around here. they are sourc[e]x and tobyfat50.

sourc[e]x/illidian(Evil)x has a pure skill of game making, he used his custom models, icons, and images (proving that he is also good at modeling, texturing, 2D art, and coding as well)

and tobyfat50, I love his cinematics, he is great at making such a charming lightning effects, as well as making high quality models and turns and set them into an over-eyecandy cinematic, hope that he also has good coding skill, he could make make a masterpiece with that..

- I can create 3d animated loading screen (including particles and stuff in loading screen), create new type of blood splat/foot print/ubersplat, create new weather etc.
- I have average knowledge of WE to successfully create a map (although most of them were canceled due to lack of motivation and passion)
- I can create a whole new wc3 model/icon/texture by myself.

Those are the one I view important of my wc3 modding ability.
I'd say 7.

I was wondering what was Magtheridon96 talking about, so I made a quick search
The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs where people fail to adequately assess their level of competence. Put more crudely, they're too stupid to realize they're stupid. The inverse also applies: competent people tend to underestimate their ability compared to others and is known as 'impostor syndrome'.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I voted a 7.

Because of these subscores:

Terrain: 9/10 - I think I'm pretty good with building (playable) terrain. My strength is making maximum use out of a minimum number of doodads and prefering tile variety over of doodad spam - but I'm not that good with artistic or cinematic-like terraining.

Scripting: 7/10 - I know my stuff, but I tend to avoid advanced coding strutures and hardcore-programming gibberish - I tend to be pragmatic in coding and do use some hard-coded stuff where a modular approach would just be overkill (what's the point in using a dynamic trigger system if only one of my libraries actually needs it?).
In a way, this caused me to re-do a lot of my scripts later on when I realized a dynamic approach would have been better.

Modelling: 6/10 - I know all the basics and have the artistic skill to do it. I can create WC3 models and animations just fine, I just lack the time to actually do it. However, I could never do more advanced modelling at the quality level of SC2 art assets.

Texturing: 5/10 - Probably my weak spot. Neither do I have the patience nor do I have the skill to do proper textures. I selected 5/10 mainly because I'm good at UV-mapping and using WC3 internal textures to the fullest.

Content/Writing: 6/10 - Well, my writing skills definitely need an improvement. Most of my storylines end up being rather cliché-ish and characters are one-dimensional.
Gameplay-wise, I have over a decade of intense gaming at my disposal to know what makes a game fun and challenging. Though sometimes lacking originality.

General mapping: 9/10 - Probably my strongest point. I got the dedication that is required to keep a project running and as I got at least some experience with almost all topics related to mapping (modelling, balancing, writing, sounds/music, scripting), I can surely give this a healthy 9. Also, I love to deal with constraints, which there are lots in Warcraft III. I can't tell how many limits I already pushed in Gaias that I initially thought could never overcome. Max map size being the most prominent one (Still around 7 mb with all those resources, and there's still custom music that I can get rid of).

result: 7.0.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Terrain : 1/10
Triggering : 1/10
Object Editor : 1/10
Model Making : 0/10
Skins Making : 0/10
Icons Making : 0/10
Average : 0.5

Edit: Imo illidan(evil)x is the only who could vote for 9 or 10

Level 17
anti-joke-chicken-meme-generator-i-m-a-chicken-and-windows-7-was-not-my-idea-9732f7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.