• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you crave games with online rankings?

Do you crave games with online ranking systems?

• I Love em!

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Its good stuff!

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Its irrelevant

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • I think its a bad thing!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate em!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello :grin:

I'm doing a study on how effective online ranking systems have stimulate growth in the popularity of certain games. As such we shall begin with a brief introduction of what an online ranking system is.

Online Ranking System:

It is a system where players who compete in a particular game get ranked in a server. For instance, the Battle.net quickplay melee games lets you level up, players get ranked by the level, and % of wins vs. losses.

The question:

Does it really affect your desire to play the game?

Level 3
I'm neutral with this system. You know, it's really good thing when you go for the rank from the beginning of the game, but it will be a demoralizing system when you joined the game (so very) later, and can only compare your rank with the 1.000.000th user, and can't even hope to beat the 999.999.999-point- Rank-1-User.

It's nice to see our name in the top ten, but it really sucks to see out name in the below 1000th

Level 34
I suck at video games in general, so I don't personally like them, but they would be awesome if you were actually good enough to rank high.

Level 27
I'm more into the CoD 4 system of gaining new stuff and goodies for your new weapons and all. There's not much of a reward in War3 when you have like 1000 wins and 20 lost games you only get some numbers displayed on your profile a ranking on the ladder and get to pick a new avatar...

I have no idea how to solve this problem but once you've seen the CoD 4 system you will see the future.

Lulz!

Level 12
I'm more into the CoD 4 system of gaining new stuff and goodies for your new weapons and all. There's not much of a reward in War3 when you have like 1000 wins and 20 lost games you only get some numbers displayed on your profile a ranking on the ladder and get to pick a new avatar...

I have no idea how to solve this problem but once you've seen the CoD 4 system you will see the future.

Lulz!

Is it a system where your points can translate into buying goodies in the game?

Level 3
Depending on your poll results, we should not expect too much from ranking system to boosts playability of a game. After all, it's MOD-ability (is that a real word? lol) that made you want to play a game again and again and again and again and again ...

Anyway, you can see that WC3 did gained such reputation AND replay-ability from 3rd-party mods

LONG LIVE FOR ALL THE MODS!

Level 17
Well, I hardly care about rankings, it's nice and all but it should not affect game play at all. The CoD4 system looks bad in my opinion if you can get extra items and stuff.

It's better to just have useless stuff added like colors, flashy things and avatahzzz.

I never play games online for the rank, I do it because I have nothing else to do. xD

Level 12
Well, I hardly care about rankings, it's nice and all but it should not affect game play at all. The CoD4 system looks bad in my opinion if you can get extra items and stuff.

It's better to just have useless stuff added like colors, flashy things and avatahzzz.

I never play games online for the rank, I do it because I have nothing else to do. xD

Well the reason why I made this survey is because I made a map that has a ranking. The problem is that I've been observing the lack of its effects. Maybe I should try to focus on integrating the map with a CoD4 system or so something like colors and flashy things that will interest the players.

If you'd like to test the map itself its right here, Jade Wars , if I'm not mistaken, its the first wc3 map to have online rankings :grin:.

Level 17
Well the reason why I made this survey is because I made a map that has a ranking. The problem is that I've been observing the lack of its effects. Maybe I should try to focus on integrating the map with a CoD4 system or so something like colors and flashy things that will interest the players.

If you'd like to test the map itself its right here, Jade Wars , if I'm not mistaken, its the first wc3 map to have online rankings :grin:.

Many maps have rankings, but they never get popular enough to have people play them a lot, next to that it fails hard.
The only map that has a ranking is Dota. And I dislike that map so meh. xD

Level 12
Many maps have rankings, but they never get popular enough to have people play them a lot, next to that it fails hard.
The only map that has a ranking is Dota. And I dislike that map so meh. xD

Not necessarily, in ideal situation it would work well and with a reward system, player gets more attraction. However, ppl majorly play wc3 because of dota these days, those you see playing custom maps are either mapmakers or ppl who are dedicated to warcraft games. So its a small population.

And I figured out that what the_wand_mirror said is true, because its pointless to compete in rank for a game that is not competitive and well-balanced. The CoD4 system will work because it creates an incentive with the absence of competitiveness.

Aside from DotaRank, I think there are no other games that have rankings online. If you're refering to games like notd, it is ranked but only ingame.

Status
Not open for further replies.