• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i remove a virus that prevents downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i have already searched for a solution without finding any so then i ask here. when i try to download it looks ok but when i try to run the file afterwards it is gone. i also got microsoft security essentials destroyed by a virus and that prevents me from uninstalling it.

Level 13
Reinstall windows, and afterwards either get a firewall installed on your PC or get a decent router, which should have a fine firewall. Also get a good antivirus program (I recommend avast!).
You should also watch what you download, which mails you open, and which sites you visit. It's not hard to prevent virus really.

Level 21
i had a good anti-virus program until the virus destroyed it(microsoft security essentials.). a firewall protects against hacking but it doesnt protect against viruses.(the virus destroyed it though.) a virus also destroyed the security center but i didnt use it anyway so i dont really care. windows update got attacked but i should find a way to fix it. reinstalling windows would mean reinstalling a lot of stuff. it would perhaps help to know what registry keys microsoft security essentials use but i also need to get rid of the Luhe.Sirefef.A virus.

Level 21
the solution on that website worked and after running roguekiller i could again install security essentials. what i found out however is that security essentials dont work without the security client and that is still broken. anybody know how i can fix that.

Last edited:
Level 16
I won't recommend reinstalling Windows, because somebody has already told you to do that, so I'll provide alternatives.

how can i remove a virus that prevents downloads

Simple. Download the program on another computer and transfer the installation file over to the infected computer.

One problem. Some installation files need to download additional data to actually install, however some programs don't, and some are compiled into the one .exe file.

Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-au/default.aspx

This is a single .exe file which I have found to be reliable in picking up viruses in the past. Running a computer in safe mode before performing scans does increase the chances of success. Safe mode can also minimise the effect the virus has on the computer, allowing you to perform functions on your computer that the virus would disable otherwise.

Also, it may be worth installing a program from a working computer onto a USB. Perhaps the infected computer will beable to run the program off the USB. I doubt that will work however, but maybe somebody else with the knowledge can shed some light on the matter, Its worth a try though. Look into Avast! or AVG like mentioned above. If you use Avast! perform a "Boot Time Scan". Better detection rates in that mode.

Avast!: http://www.avast.com/en-au/index

Extra information. Viruses have been known to download more viruses to your computer and upload junk to the internet. Disconnecting your computer from the internet and network would be a very wise move to prevent further infection. Any USB's you plug into your computer should be carefully monitored before plugging into other computers.

Level 34
So are AVG, avast and even Avira.
However, I suggest getting a paid AV.
I've used free AVG on this computer for almost 6 years and on my laptop for a few, and I have yet to have any issues. I don't believe in paying for internet protection. I already pay for the service.

Granted you can pretty much get by without protection if you know what you're doing.

Level 27
Try using Spybot 2 or you could always buy NOD32 if youre afraid of being in this situation again. I would also search your harddrives and C hdd in system32 for unusual folders with files you could rename or delete i remember disabling some shitty viruses like that. But you gotta know what you are looking for.

Level 29
At this time and age it's pretty hard to get a virus, how do you even manage?

It's not like we're still in eMule/Kazza times when it was a 50-50 if something has a trojan in it or not, and then about every program through which you can download files (most notable are browsers of course) has its own anti virus.

So the first step of avoiding viruses is not getting an anti virus, but rather don't be a complete buffoon.
Once you get past that, the need for an AV suddenly disappears.

Level 21
it is actually difficult to avoid getting viruses these days. some developers use viruses to protect their games for example.(the game far west contains a virus that must run for the game to run.) eMule is still used by lots of people though. i got rid of the virus with rogue killer though. free versions of anti virus programs that people can pay for usually just have a limited number of functions. some of the damage done by the virus still remains though. remote procedure call is still controlled remotely by the virus and i need to regain control of that in order to use security center again.

Level 21
that might mean that you have an anti-virus program that doesnt detect every virus. i have already gotten rid of the virus that prevents downloads but i am scanning the system with microsoft safety scanner. formatting the harddrive would be a mistake. (i once formated the harddrive on a pc so many times that it created a windows password of its own.)

Level 31
it is actually difficult to avoid getting viruses these days. some developers use viruses to protect their games for example.(the game far west contains a virus that must run for the game to run.) eMule is still used by lots of people though. i got rid of the virus with rogue killer though. free versions of anti virus programs that people can pay for usually just have a limited number of functions. some of the damage done by the virus still remains though. remote procedure call is still controlled remotely by the virus and i need to regain control of that in order to use security center again.

almost nothing in this statement is true

that might mean that you have an anti-virus program that doesnt detect every virus. i have already gotten rid of the virus that prevents downloads but i am scanning the system with microsoft safety scanner. formatting the harddrive would be a mistake. (i once formated the harddrive on a pc so many times that it created a windows password of its own.)

this to

Level 21
i dont ever lie. when windows created a password of its own i deleted windows from dos and reinstalled it and then the problem was solved. i suggest scanning with stop sign. that detects every possible virus. it scans for free but requires money to remove stuff. emule is truly being used.(emule plus version 1.2e) AVG free have the same defenitions as the paid for version but it have limited functions like lacking most scanner except anti-virus. rogue killer did help me remove the download preventer. this time you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.