1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hostile Territory, the Ultimate Shooter for Wc3

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by GhostThruster, Nov 14, 2010.

1. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    K, thanks :p I owe you one!

2. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    Got some bad news...

Map seems to be pretty buggy in multiplayer unfortunately.

Just .3a so what can you expect? Thats what these tests are for dangit!

Alright so, replay is attached, might want to watch it from all 3 players camera, but I'll give you gist of it.

Me - Was on team 2, orange, had no gun. Switch weapon did nothing and I couldn't pick up a weapon either.

Red - He reported the same problem. Could move at first, then guy suddenly stopped moving and could no longer move. He said though, if memory serves, that he quit and was not autokicked. But he may have been, he wasn't really clear. Sorry for the bad info! Its kind of hard to get this second hand testing info when they're not really motivated like I am lol. Maybe the replay will tell you more!

Blue - After the first game, when we all died, blue was unable to select any modes after he did not select a map and the map was automatically chosen.

Hope this helped :) however it would be better if someone on here was actually WANTING to help me test, rather then being some random clannie I force to play with me, and then complaining the entire time. Ghost if you can get a second person to test online with me let me know! I'll contact them to try and set up a time to test. I can keep testing the way I am but I think it would be more effective if I had a willing testing buddy :).

Perhaps you could just log on and test it with me?

Anyways hope this helped!

Attached Files:

3. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't mind testing it some time, I can't promise regular times but I'm desperate to get a multiplayer shooter worth playing on war3 so I'm more than happy to pitch in how I can =D

4. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Cool, I'd love it if you were my 2nd tester! Can you two organize some testing time? Btw, you don't have to do it often; I will be constantly updating the versions.
    I've currently implemented the Ammo Shop. Next release will be v0.3d. Some changes include Grenade placement and the aforementioned Shop(though you currently won't be able to buy anything). I think I will make it open source by v0.5a, as I may need some help on the multi-player.

5. Switch33

Switch33

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wc3c has a tutorial on how to make a unit face instantly here:
    http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=105830

I mean it's just something you might want to look into. I'm unsure about side-effects. It's not very viable to use for a projectile system, but for unit turning if just every player has a single unit instant facing would be great.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  6. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    What time zone are you in? I live in the northwest, and it's 11:10PM at the time of this posting. I feel dumb but I can't remember what time zone that is...

PM me your email if you have messenger or aim, then we can do this much more easily, please.

Thanks for volunteering!

7. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Switch33: Thanks for the tutorial, but it isn't needed as of yet. I've fixed up the turning when you shoot, so you actually shoot in the right direction.

I will update the map soon. Just gotta finalize...

EDIT: Updating...

EDIT 2: Updated.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  8. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    ~bump~ Any feedback on the new version?

v0.4a coming your way soon, with an extra M16 Combat Rifle and M26 Shotgun!

9. Marc Mamales

Marc Mamales

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Cool map!

10. SnaKy

SnaKy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    pretty interesting gj, there was bug with shooting angle and seems shop dont work yet

11. indomitable1319

indomitable1319

Resources:
    Resources:
    I haven't downloaded and played it yet; I'm not on my usual computer with WC.
    I might be able to try it two days from now.

12. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    LOL!, the last time I tried this is 2a, now its 3d, well gotta try it again!

13. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, it was supposed to be 0.2a, but I mis-named it.

14. ImperialShadow

ImperialShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    i try it at single player and found that when the small zombie attack me i was stuck and cant move.this game was so nice~.hope for more improvment~

15. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    VMing nickel, we'll try and test soon =)

16. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @ImperialShadow: This is because of the pathing system. Sorry, just use your knife.

@Grey Nightmare: Thanks :)

17. indomitable1319

indomitable1319

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have to say; that the new version is marvelous. The Carbine actually dissappeared once I picked it up.
    I don't have any other comments, it's great at the moment.

18. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WARNING: The Pickup system is VERY buggy atm.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

19. Superz_Ze_Man

Superz_Ze_Man

Resources:
    Resources:
    woah! i didn't know this was your map! Srsly, i never noticed?! Im gonna try it now lol. Seems fun, i hope the pickup system works :)

20. Superz_Ze_Man

Superz_Ze_Man

Resources:
    Resources:
    REVIEW

Intro- So i realized nobody really did an in depth review of the map, and considering you work on this project a lot, Im going to give you a nice long review to read about my opinions, bugs ive found and more stuff. Hope you enjoy, anything i missed? Let me know!

Lets start!- This was a fun game to play, new and interesting map type ive never experienced before! I never got bored (although sometimes frustrated) and enjoyed killing those disgusting creatures that followed me! But found some bugs and had some experiences with some of the stuff that i thought was lacking. Terrain was great and different everywhere you went which is something i need while playing any map! Overall very fun and exciting map.

Terrain
    - Terrain was fantastic!. Different everywhere you went, new textures rather than that old boring wc3 stuff i see all too often! And the tileset fit the scene perfectly! The boxes being stacked ontop of eachother, facing different ways definitely made me feel as if it was almost like a real warehouse, as well as the trucks being parked in different positions or the containers being different colours and placed in a somewhat orderly fasion was "human like" again giving the feeling of reality. But i was able to walk into trucks and boxes at some places (see images 'im hidden' and 'im hidden 2' below). Im surprised this hasn't been fixed completely?! Other than that, terrain was great.
    >>>(See image 'good terrain' below)
    >Love the tileset, fits perfectly and isnt something stupid like cityscape!
    >Stacked containers are very well placed, and "believable".
    >My character was high quality and looked good. Good animations too. (Perhaps you could animate him doing different actions for each thing that he does for example, throwing a grenade or picking up a gun? That would make him more realistic and create a more polished map in the end :D)
    >Custom UI was great, and almost wrapped the whole look to the game!
    >Mouse was good too ^^

Gameplay
    - Here's where i was questioning. How do you get him to move without delay? or shoot in the direction you want? These problemes were handled pretty well. Only a slight delay of movement (I know you cant make it less because of the delay of the wc engine), i was expecting a major delay, good work! Pickup system i found buggy. I could pick up grenades easily, but when i walked over a gun i didn't pick it up. I tried using the 'action' spell and 'switch weapons' button but i couldn't pick it up (This might be because you havent implemented that gun into the game?). The ammo also somewhat confused me? When i entered the menu i had a difficult first time figuring it out, but maybe im just stupid lol.
    >>>>Shooting (major topic)
    Shooting. Shooting was my main worry. Sadly you cannot track the mouse in wc which really sucks, so i wasnt sure if it would work.
    You shoot the way your facing, but in order to face that way, you need to move your character towards the direction. This was very disappointing! While running from zombies, i had to be either horizontal or vertical to them, then walk towards them to aim and shoot. >:| Definitively not the best system there is right? Maybe we could right click somewhere and our unit would turn wherever we just clicked? Something like that would be much better! and would increase my ratings. I would not use this current system when battling other online players. its just not easy to aim at all... (<-- the hard truth)

Triggers
    - Game was locked :p But all triggers seemed bug free. Loved the grenade system. That was lots of fun!! The bullets worked well to.

Effects - Heres a topic i dont review much! For this game, i loved the graphics and effects, like the explosions of grenades! Everything seemed high quality. The blood splatters when you hit zombies were great (see image 'battle' below) ( i think ive seen those in the warcraft diablo 3 map). The blood going everywhere was very zombielike and disgusting! Gore is a great thing which is necessary in every great zombie map, take left 4 dead 2 or dead rising 2 for example ^^ The grenade explosions were custom and good quality (done by general frank right?). Im not sure if it happens automatically, but the objects around the explosion seemed to light up aswell! Something i havent noticed before, very cool! Plus the gore caused by the grenade was fun and made me want to yell out "HELL YEAH!". This was definitively one of the strong aspects of the game, i didn't really "like" the fog tho.
    >>>>Fog

Fog is an addition needed for most maps. Your fog fit perfectly, not to dark, but not too light or dense. I only had one issue. I could see everything below and to the sides of me, but at the top i couldn't see any zombies comming?! (see image 'fog' below) As you can see, the top of my view was completely obstructed and i couldn't see any zombies come from above. I would slightly suggest you add some visibility above the character, without increasing visibility on the sides and bottom. If it isn't possible to do so without decreasing fog density, then dont worry about it! Its not that important (just a suggestion).

Edit: Fixed a lot of grammer mistakes... Also added ratings

My personal rating:
    4.5/5
    Everything was great and fun, other than the shooting, but shooting must have been a huge challenge for you :/ I Vote: Approved

Professional rating:
    4/5
    Great game, fun and entertaining, shooting is a bit hard but thats to be expected, and game had some bugs. Vote for: Rejected as it is not yet a completed map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010