• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hostile Territory, the Ultimate Shooter for Wc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I'll say this for the 1000th time; FPS in Wc3 is impossible.

It seriously, honestly probably is it'd just be insanely difficult, e.g. the time it takes to make it would be stupid..

But hey, time crysis/arcade game is an FPS, like it or not and with decent JASS coding that could (with time) easily be presented in war3.

Since you don't move yourself :p

A campaign sort of shooter on Wc3 would be so cool, using the system you have... but thats a fantasy XD

Or... is it?

Level 8
OK, so tried this game multiplayer with Superz. 3 games, all DCs for Superz, he also tried being green instead of blue. IDK what happens, we start choose modes he starts moving, he even shot off a couple times, then DCS.

Also, at first I thought shotgun was meh, then I got off a shot at point blank, EPIC.

OK so 3 suggestions just playing this game for a while by myself.

1) make those stupid boxes, crates destructable! I want to blow them apart with my might M-16! Plus, they get me killed a lot. Would be fun if you could blow em apart. I mean they provide no cover right? So all they can do atm is annoy me! But if I could blow them to heck... oh so satisfying.

2) OK, grenades! Maybe in multiplayer it works perfectly for balancing or w/e, but in single player survival, I want to see those babies explode and take out some zombies! instead all I see is a little ball go flying a light flash. Would be cool if the throw range wasn't so far :) maybe not as realistic or w/e but more blood + explosions = cooool, especially against zombies!

3) Those mini zombies, the weakest one, very small but a big collosion pathing w/e. Please make it appropriate for its size, I go one way thinking "I got plenty of room" only to get stopped by an invisible barrier then eaten alive.

Sorry was in a hurry, no time for proper internet manners, my bad. Hope this helped! Keep it up, very fun but... I WANT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER! No fault of your own I know, just trying to encourage you as this would be a great multiplayer, good luck!

P.S. to fellow testers, pause game and try moving ur character, just a little sillyness there.

Edit: Ammo shop still did not work for me, I couldn't exit :(.

OK! Got to get back to my map

Level 8
Do you use a ping reducer or something?
That can cause 'spikes' and 'disconnections'.

But they are kinda essential for key movement maps imo.
If you do set it at about 90, any lower and you'll get d/c - any higher and it's not worth having.

No, I hosted it, no programs but Wc3 were used, unless Superz_Ze_man was using something. I wouldn't be surprised though if it was just a multiplayer issue, I'll try contact Superz though and find out.

Level 8
No, I hosted it, no programs but Wc3 were used, unless Superz_Ze_man was using something. I wouldn't be surprised though if it was just a multiplayer issue, I'll try contact Superz though and find out.
nope, nothing running in the background other than windows media player. (Off Topic: I tunes sucks cause it doesn't use my pause/play button things on my keyboard :/)

Level 20

Well maps don't just 'd/c' people due to 'multiplayer'.
If there was a pattern... Then Thruster probably missed something in the code, but seeing as it's so random, I really couldn't imagine what's causing it... without more information or seeing the triggers.

If you've got custom script (in gui statements) double check them, they can cause problems.

EDIT: Could it be the shooting system?
@Nickel try hosting a game with super again and as soon as you've spawned just spam the fire button (both of you) and report back? :D
i.e. don't move at all until it's apparent it's not going to d/c

Level 8
Well maps don't just 'd/c' people due to 'multiplayer'.
If there was a pattern... Then Thruster probably missed something in the code, but seeing as it's so random, I really couldn't imagine what's causing it... without more information or seeing the triggers.

If you've got custom script (in gui statements) double check them, they can cause problems.

EDIT: Could it be the shooting system?
@Nickel try hosting a game with super again and as soon as you've spawned just spam the fire button (both of you) and report back? :D
i.e. don't move at all until it's apparent it's not going to d/c

Thanks I'll try this asap. Superz did try just not moving the third game, and even did some shooting, but idk if he dced when he was shooting or if it was when he started moving. We shall do more tests! Superz willing :)

Level 8
No headshots, as it is 3rd-person.

Did you not test the map at all? I am using top-down.

You could potentially add headshots if you just call a really accurate shot, a headshot. For example, if the unit at which you are shooting has a collision radius of 32, then a headshot would occur if the shot would have hit them with a collision radius of only 16.

Just a thought.

EDIT: another thing to consider - using arrow keys in multiplayer maps generates a lot of network traffic and results in a total lagfest. Maybe you've already tested for this, but that is just my experience.

Level 8
The arrow key movement systems that you've probably used are based on 'Order Unit to Move to Point offset by...'. My ones are 'Move Unit Instantly to Point...', they shouldn't lag. And if I ever get around to it, I can even use SetUnitX.

The one I'm most familiar with used an arrow key movement system that used the SetUnitX to allow for chosen animation to occur during the movement. It was part of a racing map that I was making and gave up on because of the choppiness of the multiplayer (your own car would run smoothly, but other cars would be jerky because of the network) :( I am an excellent JASSer and I write efficient triggers. Unless you've already determined that your map isn't affected by this in multiplayer, I'm just giving you a heads up for an issue that I've run into; that's all :)

Level 20
As long as you've got

a; A low ping (or reducer)
b; a decent pc

You really shouldn't get any lag from movement systems (presuming they're leak-less).

The first one is the almost exclusive problem in multiplayer, sadly, BNet - or even Garena - isn't quite low ping enough to get a smooth game out of it, so reducers are almost a must... In my understanding.

Level 8
OK Superz and me tested it again online. Oddly enough, there was no DC this time. He was able to run and fire, but he did encounter some bugs. He'll have to post those though, I can't remember exactly what his were.

For me, whenever he entered the ammo shop, my camera glitch. The camera was no longer centered and every time I walked it tweaked out. Also, I know that Superz had like 2 second delay for walking every time he tried to move, just like I've reported in the past. That's all I can remember, best of luck of Ghost, we both agree this game has a really great execution and controls, but only if they work sorry to say.

Hope this helped.

Edit: Oh and Ghost, Superz and I both agree, you really really need to get battlenet working man. Its kind of silly to be making a multiplayer map and not have battlenet hooked up, I think you should firsthand experience the bugs in your map. It's only 20 bucks for the RoC and TFT CD key! But maybe thats not the issue? Again, I hope you get a good breakthrough with the triggers, I'm sure you must have put a lot of effort into this map already.

P.S. Superz told me the Halo UTM is at last finished :) GRATZ!

My movement system isn't perfected yet. I will check out the camera, probably my fault with the triggers.

I have a real version of Wc3! Bought it for $50. However, my internet is very, very, VERY bad. I went on Battle.net a couple of times, and just playing a melee map, it lagged every few seconds.

P.S: Thanks! Now the hard bit is organising it...

Level 13
Yeah that is much better for this type of fast-paced gamplay ;)
Will you be adding any more weapons?

Level 13
Sweet those weapons sound awesome. If its okay with you, could I host this on Garena sometime? Well when its multiplayer ready anyway.

Level 13
Too bad that your internet is so slow, we might have been able to play a game together since we're both in the same region.
But anyway, thanks :D

~Updated to v0.4b~
Changes:
v0.4b
-Removed ammo shop completely
-Fixed up ALOT of GetLocalPlayer() scripts
-Edited weapons placement
-Map shouldn't disconnect as much lol

Next up:
I will add weapon drops, add in the RPG, and hopefully use SetUnitX/Y instead of Move Unit Instantly. Also, I plan to add in a Machine Gun, basically a stronger, less ammo-ful M4 that reduces movement speed. Also will be adding the Painkillers and Adrenaline items.

I've fixed ALOT of my GetLocalPlayer scripts, which I was sure to be the cause of most DCs (I've learnt this ever since I read a helpful tutorial recently).

HT is back in action.

Level 13
Oh right, I have downloaded yesterday but I havn't found any time for testing it. I'll see if I can later today. Then I might give you some feedback :D

Status
Not open for further replies.