• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hiring a professional and experienced map maker!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Dear WCIII Coders,

I am nomordarkwars from the European Battle.net server. Currently being a chief of a dodge clan, clan 100. As we are hopefully soon beating the 101 Rounds map on hard mode, our clan would like to explore new dodging possibilities.

As a few from the clan have tried to create new maps with triggers put together from here and there, we arrived at rather unprofessional results.

So this is a good opportunity for an experienced, professional coder who has a lot of free time on his/her hand to earn some cash and make a bunch of fanatic people happy! :)

The task would be to create an entirely bugfree map with as small lag and memory leak as possible within the realm of a dodging arena map. However, this is not a task of being creative and also coming up with the ideas behind the map, only completing the technical part of map creation, where the ideas would come from our side.

If you are interested please contact me on email where we can discuss the details: [email protected]

All the best,

nomordarkwars

Level 12
Hi, i believe you are posting in the wrong section, but from what you are saying and your name, you seem like a fan of the old school mazing club. I'm good friends with nomorholywar and other popular map makers from that era. Unfortunatly they are all retired and won't be making anymore more awesome maps. By the way have you played LOAM? It's a masterpiece of mazing. If you are looking for mazes you can fidn them here
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/search/?go=1&n=&a=nomorholywar&c=0&pf=1&p=1&roc=1&tft=1

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/search/?go=1&n=&a=X.x-D.a.r.K-x.X&c=0&pf=1&p=1&roc=1&tft=1

Level 25
Would you be interested in a map that generates mazes and attack patterns automatically?

Are you interested in acceleration-based movement (as opposed to the traditional simple velocity method)? I've made plenty of simple maze maps (nothing anywhere near finished, sadly) that utilise this method, but the increased difficulty seems to be out of most players' grasp.

Finally, how do you feel about teamwork levels? In one of my maps I had gates that could only be opened while all connected switches were occupied by players. To me it looks like most maze players have no interest in new mechanics or ideas and are happy with what is mechanically the same map as 10 years ago.

Level 1
Hey guys!

Just to clarify, I am indeed in the group mentioned by you 'Eat Bacon', however the map I'm looking for is not a maze. It is a dodging arena game like 100 rounds or 101 rounds. In case of doubt, check them out and you will see the difference! :)

All the best,

nomordarkwars

Level 25
Ah, I see.

Still, this is something that could be handled by a generator. I had a quick look at the 101 Rounds map, and since it uses some randomisation the variance in difficulty probably isn't an issue for you.

- Every level increases "difficulty"
- Difficulty determines hazard frequency and strength, e.g. a spinning line will be worth more than a simple wisp.
- Multi-unit hazards could be generated using a generalised system with randomised attributes, i.e. speed, size, number of particles, rotation speed, acceleration, tracking ability, special ability, etc
- How do you feel about different selectable player characters? Fast, slow with 2 HP, medium with blink ability, to name a few basic examples
- How do you feel about acceleration-based movement?
- Terrain obstacles? e.g. lava pits that you cannot run over, or booster arrows that accelerate you in a different direction
- Added dimension: height/z? Basically, give players the ability to jump. Some enemies are ground, others land, others both.

... question: what will you do? Asking this because it seems like you want to find someone who effectively makes your map, while you are just "the idea guy". Nobody will be willing to contribute if that is the case. Because those capable of making maps from the ground up usually have enough ideas on their own.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Once someone has made the map what will you do with it ? I know someone who is not a mapmaker but an amazing coder and can make spells that are great however his terrains are not that good... he's working on his custom 2 player RACC campaign so he may not have a lot of time but he can make effective spells.

But once again I want to know,

Me said:
Once someone has made the map what will you do with it ?

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

A good map maker makes his OWN ideas, he doesn't just execute what someone else wants him to. At least for fan-based maps.

Nope, not gonna happen, bye.

I agree but only partially....

Level 1
Great questions asked, thank you.

First I wanna reply to the ones that wonder about why anyone would do only a map with ideas from someone else. As you can see in the title, this is a hiring process, which with effective cooperation includes a payment of money. And not a small amount for that matter.
If you are a great coder and you have your own ideas that you wanna do, feel free, please. But if you wanna earn some cash, maybe this is your opportunity.

To the ones that ask what 'I' will do with the map afterwards. I am basically not going to do anything with the map once it is fully finished. I do not want to edit, or create something on my own on this map, as long as the map is complete and meets my conditions, it is gonna be uploaded on epicwar and on hive (given full credit to the coder of course) and bots in our clan.

And to 'rulerofiron99': thank you for jumping right into the case and having a lot of questions already. The way I imagine this cooperation is that basically an outline of the map, a so to say plan, will be sent do the coder who has to find the best solution to make it come true. Of course I won't be asking impossible things, as I am familiar with the basics, only that is possible in the realm of WE. But to be more specific I can give you some actual examples:
- Coding all the initialization to make the map smooth. (Eg, setting up vision, revival triggers, leaderboards, defeat conditions, locust on units, unit groups, regions, save load system for stats, whatsoever)
- Cinematics
- Special unit abilities, boss rounds and changing worlds. Here I mean eg. there would be a unit, which when reaching the border of the area where the players are allowed to go, this unit would suddenly rapidly increase its speed and pick a random player's hero location to move to, and when reaching exploding in a small area killing any hero that is within the area. Or a unit that, when reaching the border of this area, would simply switch the position of 2 random player's heroes.

I hope I answered most questions. Feel free to throw some more at me :)

All the best,

nomordarkwars

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
First I wanna reply to the ones that wonder about why anyone would do only a map with ideas from someone else. As you can see in the title, this is a hiring process, which with effective cooperation includes a payment of money. And not a small amount for that matter.
If you are a great coder and you have your own ideas that you wanna do, feel free, please. But if you wanna earn some cash, maybe this is your opportunity.

You don't get my point.
This website is for fans of WarCraft, meaning people who are used to create stuff they themselves want to create. Without any form of payment. My point is, that a mapper from this website creates what he himself likes, not just what someone else told him to create.
I don't give a damn about how people earn their cash, if someone wants to do it for the money, feel free to do so. *I* could never create something I loath...

To the ones that ask what 'I' will do with the map afterwards. I am basically not going to do anything with the map once it is fully finished. I do not want to edit, or create something on my own on this map, as long as the map is complete and meets my conditions, it is gonna be uploaded on epicwar and on hive (given full credit to the coder of course) and bots in our clan.

So, as Zwiebelchen said, you won't do jackshit but demanding this feature or another? Right.

Edit:
Btw, if I remember correctly, such paid service thing has to be sanctioned by the staff before being done... Just saying.

I don't think paid modding is against the Hive rules. That's not the problem. But it takes a certain amount of trust to agree on this. Let's just say you find someone who makes your map; how will you pay him? Up front? After the finished map? If so, you or him are up for a royal scam, because on side of the coin is probably trying to rip the other one off.

Also, you are better off investing your money in the creation of art assets by paying a good 2D or 3D artist for models and textures instead of paying a modder to build your map. Because making a map in WC3 is pretty easy. It's a waste of money. Thousands of people make maps for free. Some of the biggest projects on this page are done by a single person in their freetime and they never saw a single dollar out of it.

Also, consider this:
Making a good map takes hundreds of working hours. I personally invested several years into my map. How are you possibly going to pay for that so that it doesn't feel like a rip-off? Like a hundred dollars? Nah, nobody will agree to this for a hundred bucks. The amount of work you have to put in is completely out of proportion for the expected salary.
And it isn't even neccesary. Make it a co-op creation and people will do it for free if the idea is good. Just don't expect someone to do all the work while you sit there daydreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.