• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Heroes Tale

What do you think of the project map itself? (NO POLL TROLLING PLEASE)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Sorry for the double post but this needs to be separate with other posts. So supporters, I bring you some Gameplay Screenshots on ALPHA 0.2! Feedbacks are appreciated!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Again, feedbacks are really appreciated!

EDIT 1: Added 3 Gameplay Screenshots for future ALPHA 0.2. Sorry if this is few, actually many parts of ALPHA 0.2 is still bugging so I decided not to put them yet here. Hope you all understand!

EDIT 2: Added 5 Gameplay Screenshots for future ALPHA 0.2. I've fixed many bugs that occured so here I am showing these 5 screenshots!

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 10.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 10.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 5,228
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 11.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 11.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 5,148
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 12.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 12.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 5,087
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 13.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 13.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 4,974
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 14.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 14.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4,948
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 15.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 15.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 4,855
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 16.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 16.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 4,894
  • Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 17.jpg
    Heroes Tale Gameplay Screenshot 17.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 4,823
Last edited:
Level 20
Nice screenshots! But if you could: just a small change: can you change the line of the first screenie to: Hi Traveler... what brings you here? If I may ask. Or: May I as Traveler: What brings you here?

Just a friendly suggestion... because I find it kind of... off =)
No offense.

Also the leaves (tileset) below the trees in screenshot 1: can you not do it like that; maybe reduce the number of times you use them below the trees (lessen their number) and raise that area of trees too.

Again, just some friendly feedback.

Also, when Angus completes a main quest or two, how about you remove that completed quest sometime between the game or after immediate completion? So they don't stack up.

And also if you could make some cliffs natural it would look great for the sand-like tileset.

Level 30
Nice screenshots! But if you could: just a small change: can you change the line of the first screenie to: Hi Traveler... what brings you here? If I may ask. Or: May I as Traveler: What brings you here?

Just a friendly suggestion... because I find it kind of... off =)
No offense.

Also the leaves (tileset) below the trees in screenshot 1: can you not do it like that; maybe reduce the number of times you use them below the trees (lessen their number) and raise that area of trees too.

Again, just some friendly feedback.

Thank you, I will fix those you pointed out, +2 REP for that!

Level 30
Currently what i don't like is the terrain. Its very simple. I suggest resizing the trees as big as the real life trees because currently wc3 normal trees looks like midgets

Yes, that is my main concern. I fear If I have to do it in the Forest Trees, I might have to remove them one by one again and place them again. For the desert, well, maybe that looks like a real life tree? Well, If I make the trees in desert bigger, It will not look good. Trust me! But I make the Desert's trees bigger than my previous trees in the Forest because I learned a bit on terraining at that point.

BTW, is the trees only concern. Im still open for improvements!

+2 REP BTW, for the motivation boost and welcome green gem! :D

Level 14
I tested it out and there were some good things and not so good things (as usual in an Alpha)

Good: I like the quests, simple and plentiful. Just be sure to add some more complex ones too (Unless you just want there to be a ton of simple quests which is your prerogative.) I also liked the mini boss fight at the end.

Not so good: When I was talking to the man in the forest about him finding the blacksmith's hammer I died. The respawn of creeps happens so fast that if you start talking to him while they are dead and they respawn they are not paused like the rest of the units. The grammar also leaves a little to be desired, but it looks like you are getting a lot of feedback help with that.

All in all, a good start, keep it up and good luck.

Level 30
I tested it out and there were some good things and not so good things (as usual in an Alpha)

Good: I like the quests, simple and plentiful. Just be sure to add some more complex ones too (Unless you just want there to be a ton of simple quests which is your prerogative.) I also liked the mini boss fight at the end.

Not so good: When I was talking to the man in the forest about him finding the blacksmith's hammer I died. The respawn of creeps happens so fast that if you start talking to him while they are dead and they respawn they are not paused like the rest of the units. The grammar also leaves a little to be desired, but it looks like you are getting a lot of feedback help with that.

All in all, a good start, keep it up and good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Im now fixing typos but for this day I cant work on it because Im on someone's house and it doesnt have any Warcraft 3.

Level 30
Sorry for the inactivity. I am really making little progress due to being busy on something private. By the way, new updates! Added Shops for Equipments and Consumables at the 2nd town, Deserted Town, fixed some typos, and some item bugs such as Sapphire Charge bug.

Level 4
^^ To where I live~? Hahaha. Feel relax in your vacation and don't need to care about your map.
(Although Hong Kong's weather is a bit unusual these day that some day cold and some day hot... For example, yesterday is a bit cool but today is the hottest day this year. So please don't just bring short clothes but also jacket.)\

Sorry for off-topic. =P

Level 30
^^ To where I live~? Hahaha. Feel relax in your vacation and don't need to care about your map.
(Although Hong Kong's weather is a bit unusual these day that some day cold and some day hot... For example, yesterday is a bit cool but today is the hottest day this year. So please don't just bring short clothes but also jacket.)\

Sorry for off-topic. =P

Thanks. We may do many shopping in there because my parents love to explore Hong Kong but maybe in Night in HK, I can work in it but there is also a possibility not because I am also working on a map for a contest and also a drawing at another contest.

Level 30
Well, supporters. I have cancelled my entry on the Contest: Farming about making a map because I do know it will take me a lot of time and it might cause me to abandon this one. So, good news, I will be again working on this one!

Right now, I will be work on making Optional Quests and after that adding a new dungeon named Cavern of Dangers.

Level 30
New little updates! Added 2 new starting skills for the Mage namely Charged Firebolt and Holy Light. Will be going to HK now so see you all soon and maybe when I rrived, I can work on it ASAP.... next updates will be the screenshots for the new dungeon, Cavern of Dangers!

Level 30
So, as promised! Here are some screenshots of the new Dungeon to be named Cavern of Dangers but if you got more of an interesting name, please dont hesitate to tell me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

223963-albums5959-picture70949.jpg

223963-albums5959-picture70950.jpg

Feedbacks and suggestion for terrain is appreciated!

EDIT 1: Added 2 Screenshots for the early WiP of the new dungeon to be named Cavern of Dangers.

EDIT 2: Added 2 new Screenshots again of the early WiP of the new dungeon, now renamed to Unstable Den. The cliff used was changed to a fitting one and Support Column - Destructible were added to fit more in the terrain.

EDIT 3: Added a new Screenshot of the early WiP of Unstabe Den once again showing the location of the Stone of Summoning. GUard are not quite tight thoough but deeper parts have stronger enemies.

EDIT 4: Added 2 new screenshot showing the new and improvise cliff not using anymore the ugly Blizzard Cliff. No grudges at B Cliffs at all but I do think they make the terrain dirty and I cant use them properly also.

Attachments

• Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 37.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 37.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 3,534
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 38.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 38.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3,478
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 39.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 39.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 3,396
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 40.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 40.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 3,409
  • Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 41.jpg
    Heroes Tale Terrain Screenshot 41.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,435
Last edited:
Level 20
So, as promised! Here are some screenshots of the new Dungeon to be named Cavern of Dangers but if you got more of an interesting name, please dont hesitate to tell me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Feedbacks and suggestion for terrain is appreciated!

EDIT 1: Added 2 Screenshots for the early WiP of the new dungeon to be named Cavern of Dangers.

I'm not sure about the others but I do want you to change that cavern's name (though I'm still thinking of a suggestion).

Also, since your going to use B_Cliffs as boundaries for the cavern, I suggest that you raise those rock areas and probably the cliffs too, and add more pointy rocks like the Barren's stalagmites to make it look more dangerous; but add a little red to the color of the stalagmite if you're going to do so.

Regarding the above statement, please limit the spamming of the rocks and add some other doodads like fire or smoke or destroyed support columns.

But my main point is that you should really avoid using these B_Cliffs because, I'm sure you've noticed by now, they don't match with this cavern.

Also, the terrain near the cavern entrance is a little flat; do something about that. I would also like to suggest that you make some pits in this cavern, and put like a big monster in there (I would like to see it as a boss, I don't know about you though)

Overall I'll rate it 3.9/5 for now, but still you did a great job and you're making great progress!

Level 30
I'm not sure about the others but I do want you to change that cavern's name (though I'm still thinking of a suggestion).

Also, since your going to use B_Cliffs as boundaries for the cavern, I suggest that you raise those rock areas and probably the cliffs too, and add more pointy rocks like the Barren's stalagmites to make it look more dangerous; but add a little red to the color of the stalagmite if you're going to do so.

Regarding the above statement, please limit the spamming of the rocks and add some other doodads like fire or smoke or destroyed support columns.

But my main point is that you should really avoid using these B_Cliffs because, I'm sure you've noticed by now, they don't match with this cavern.

Also, the terrain near the cavern entrance is a little flat; do something about that. I would also like to suggest that you make some pits in this cavern, and put like a big monster in there (I would like to see it as a boss, I don't know about you though)

Overall I'll rate it 3.9/5 for now, but still you did a great job and you're making great progress!

Thanks for the terrain review. I will keep those suggestions in mind but for the Pit with a boss.... just no. It will ruin the game for me but I will make maybe traps to make it more dangerous. Again, thanks for the feedback. +2 REP!

Sunken Ruin Rock spires are more suitable to that kind of environment imo.

Thanks, I will be trying that. +2 REP for the feedback!

MasterTrainer said:
Hey Hell_master, how about naming it Unstable Den or Perilous Caverns?

I'll be going with Unstable Den because I thought Cavern is such an overused name.

EliTe said:
Why don't you use rolling shores? (Deep Water, Raise Tool) Because blizzard cliffs are ugly.

Actually, Blizzard Cliffs are not that ugly if used properly but I'll keep note of that suggestion. Maybe someday, I'll find a terrainer to help me.

Level 30
New updates! Improved the new Dungeon's terrain as suggested by Elite and MasterTrainer. Thank you very much! Also, the new dunngeon's name was changed from Cavern of Dangers to Unstable Den, again thanks to MasterTrainer's idea and I am also planning to make some traps in the new dungeon, so here is the idea: In the area covered with dust model, there is a chance that a trap will take effect... a large boulder will fall to the entering unit in the Dust model, dealing damage to it. Feedbacks are appreciated about improvements for the trap I have thought of or if my idea of the trap is good or bad.

And thank you for the support guys! Heroes Tale has reached 10,000+ views... again thank you very much!

Level 20
New updates! Improved the new Dungeon's terrain as suggested by Elite and MasterTrainer. Thank you very much! Also, the new dunngeon's name was changed from Cavern of Dangers to Unstable Den, again thanks to MasterTrainer's idea and I am also planning to make some traps in the new dungeon, so here is the idea: In the area covered with dust model, there is a chance that a trap will take effect... a large boulder will fall to the entering unit in the Dust model, dealing damage to it. Feedbacks are appreciated about improvements for the trap I have thought of or if my idea of the trap is good or bad.

And thank you for the support guys! Heroes Tale has reached 10,000+ views... again thank you very much!

Here's a trap suggestion: when the hero enters the Den, at a random time create multiple distortions at random places all at once, shake the camera to make it look like an earthquake. At the same time too, falling dust appears at random places in the Den to make it look more realistic.

Triggers should be simple bro.

Level 29
This is a big project kabayan, here's my suggestion;
- Make the cinematics skippable, coz some players do not want too much cinematics, like me
- When making cinematics, make your camera change positions, it'll be cool
- When playing cinematics, hero should be invulnerable and paused coz I died when the elf warned me not to enter
- Terrain should be improved a little bit more like making hills, waterfalls, bridges, rivers, etc...
- Instead of putting so many trees in 1 place, put rocks, shrubs etc...
- Try decorating your environment (see the rock below)

attachment.php

VS

attachment.php

- When entering the house, it's better not to put an sfx teleport
- Lastly if you want help in triggering, maybe I can

That's all for now, and good luck!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 158
Level 30
This is a big project kabayan, here's my suggestion;
- Make the cinematics skippable, coz some players do not want too much cinematics, like me
- When making cinematics, make your camera change positions, it'll be cool
- When playing cinematics, hero should be invulnerable and paused coz I died when the elf warned me not to enter
- Terrain should be improved a little bit more like making hills, waterfalls, bridges, rivers, etc...
- Instead of putting so many trees in 1 place, put rocks, shrubs etc...
- Try decorating your environment (see the rock below)

attachment.php

VS

attachment.php

- When entering the house, it's better not to put an sfx teleport
- Lastly if you want help in triggering, maybe I can

That's all for now, and good luck!

Thanks and good thing you have reminded me of this terrain improvements because this is what I am gonna focus more.... in the terrain improvements.

SeedinAethyr

Spam Moderator
Level 11
EDIT: Yup... I reviewed the wrong version. Shoot me.
Hello Hell_Master. Your singleplayer RPG map, Heroes Tale has impressed me and I have decided to write a review for it. Please note that I may be playing the wrong version or that bugs that I announce may have already been spotted by someone else. No, I did not read all thirty pages of comments. Now, to my review. First off, the beginning cinematic was decent, but the cinematic does not start instantly and the player is able to select his or her hero before it begins, which leads to the player seeing a selection circle in the cinematic when Angus is talking. (Just a minor aesthetic bug.) Next, I'm pretty sure I saw some grammar errors in the cinematic. Double check your dialogue please. The next thing I saw was your terrain. It was good, with nice use of custom doodads, but I feel as if the terrain could use a bit more fallen leaf/stick doodads. Even with the slopes and tile variation, the terrain did seem a bit bland. Shouldn't a forest have a lot of that stuff on the ground? (You don't have to take my terrain complements seriously, as I am no terrainer.) I also noticed that there were no wild animals. Make some of those! Next, I like how the player wasn't forced into the house (by cinematic or by blocking all routes away from it). However, the house seemed to have a problem. When I walked over the circle of power, I wasn't transported into the house. Because I was curious, I had Angus walk closer to the house. I then discovered that you could make Angus dissapear into the house. Fix the house's pathing. After wandering around the house, I was transported in. Your house has a very plain interior. Add some more doodads! Also, I liked how you put bear carpets in the house, but do the carpets really both need flies flying around them? After I got the quest, I set out in the wilderness to get the stones. I went south and battled some creeps and was attacking my first Saphire Stone when suddenly the Demon Imp I had killed like ten seconds ago respawned. You need way longer respawn times. I mean seriously. Wwaayy longer. Also, I noticed that the Sapphire Stones drop two kinds of items, Sapphires and Magical Stones. I'm assuming you meant for both kinds of items to be stackable, because when I picked up a second Sapphire when I already had one the Sapphire I had picked up dissapeared, which I presume is part of of your stacking system. If so that means you just forgot to add charges to the Sapphire. Sometime after that, I got my third Magical Stone and returned to Kan. The Circle of Power worked for me the first time, but while the camera panned to Kan's house, it did not seem as if my character Angus did. I saw Angus's portrait speaking, but did not see Angus talking to Kan. I noticed some grammar errors in the conversation, such as a missing apostrophe in "don't" and "...what and adventurer do." It should be does, not do. (I think.) After it says that a day has passed, I saw my hero. Now, after the cinematic had finished, I explored the house. I noticed that I could walk through nearly everything. (Gold, lumber piles, barrels, etc.) Put some pathing blockers in those objects! Also, put some sight blockers on the walls of the house. I could see quite a bit of the blank area of the map. Another thing I saw that caught my eye was the Magical Fountain. I was able to defeat the Furbolg guarding it, but the fountain did not seem to heal me. One other thing I saw was that some of your Sapphire Stones did not seemed to be owned by Neutral Passive (the player). (That's a REALLY minor aesthetic bug, no need to fix it.) Now, a question. Is the Corrupted Ancient Beast supposed to be hostile? I'm attacking it and it's casting a really cool looking Frost Armor, but it's not attacking me back. I also can enter the blank part of the map.
I know I've said almost all bugs and not many things I liked about the map. I'll say things I like now. I like all the custom models you've used. They fit well. Second, although the terrain isn't that good, it has had some work put into it. I like the stat point system. I like the loading screen. I like the story so far. (There's a lot more things I like, just I just spent around one hour writing this comment and my hands hurt.)
All in all, it's a good project that could use some fixing up.
I support you Hell_Master!

Last edited:
Level 30
EDIT: Yup... I reviewed the wrong version. Shoot me.
Hello Hell_Master. Your singleplayer RPG map, Heroes Tale has impressed me and I have decided to write a review for it. Please note that I may be playing the wrong version or that bugs that I announce may have already been spotted by someone else. No, I did not read all thirty pages of comments. Now, to my review. First off, the beginning cinematic was decent, but the cinematic does not start instantly and the player is able to select his or her hero before it begins, which leads to the player seeing a selection circle in the cinematic when Angus is talking. (Just a minor aesthetic bug.) Next, I'm pretty sure I saw some grammar errors in the cinematic. Double check your dialogue please. The next thing I saw was your terrain. It was good, with nice use of custom doodads, but I feel as if the terrain could use a bit more fallen leaf/stick doodads. Even with the slopes and tile variation, the terrain did seem a bit bland. Shouldn't a forest have a lot of that stuff on the ground? (You don't have to take my terrain complements seriously, as I am no terrainer.) I also noticed that there were no wild animals. Make some of those! Next, I like how the player wasn't forced into the house (by cinematic or by blocking all routes away from it). However, the house seemed to have a problem. When I walked over the circle of power, I wasn't transported into the house. Because I was curious, I had Angus walk closer to the house. I then discovered that you could make Angus dissapear into the house. Fix the house's pathing. After wandering around the house, I was transported in. Your house has a very plain interior. Add some more doodads! Also, I liked how you put bear carpets in the house, but do the carpets really both need flies flying around them? After I got the quest, I set out in the wilderness to get the stones. I went south and battled some creeps and was attacking my first Saphire Stone when suddenly the Demon Imp I had killed like ten seconds ago respawned. You need way longer respawn times. I mean seriously. Wwaayy longer. Also, I noticed that the Sapphire Stones drop two kinds of items, Sapphires and Magical Stones. I'm assuming you meant for both kinds of items to be stackable, because when I picked up a second Sapphire when I already had one the Sapphire I had picked up dissapeared, which I presume is part of of your stacking system. If so that means you just forgot to add charges to the Sapphire. Sometime after that, I got my third Magical Stone and returned to Kan. The Circle of Power worked for me the first time, but while the camera panned to Kan's house, it did not seem as if my character Angus did. I saw Angus's portrait speaking, but did not see Angus talking to Kan. I noticed some grammar errors in the conversation, such as a missing apostrophe in "don't" and "...what and adventurer do." It should be does, not do. (I think.) After it says that a day has passed, I saw my hero. Now, after the cinematic had finished, I explored the house. I noticed that I could walk through nearly everything. (Gold, lumber piles, barrels, etc.) Put some pathing blockers in those objects! Also, put some sight blockers on the walls of the house. I could see quite a bit of the blank area of the map. Another thing I saw that caught my eye was the Magical Fountain. I was able to defeat the Furbolg guarding it, but the fountain did not seem to heal me. One other thing I saw was that some of your Sapphire Stones did not seemed to be owned by Neutral Passive (the player). (That's a REALLY minor aesthetic bug, no need to fix it.) Now, a question. Is the Corrupted Ancient Beast supposed to be hostile? I'm attacking it and it's casting a really cool looking Frost Armor, but it's not attacking me back. I also can enter the blank part of the map.
I know I've said almost all bugs and not many things I liked about the map. I'll say things I like now. I like all the custom models you've used. They fit well. Second, although the terrain isn't that good, it has had some work put into it. I like the stat point system. I like the loading screen. I like the story so far. (There's a lot more things I like, just I just spent around one hour writing this comment and my hands hurt.)
All in all, it's a good project that could use some fixing up.
I support you Hell_Master!

Thank you for the long feedback! In the v0.2, those bugs will be fixed and also to answer your questions:

-For the terrain, yes. Many terrainers like me have given me many tips so I will be sure to improve that.

-Actually, the wild animals there is the Wild Wolves, maybe the Gnolls and the Spiders at the first dungeon.

-For the respawn time, I have found out the bug that many enemies got stacked up making many enemies attack you and it is becoming hard . I have notice the Respawn time to be balanced but th only problem are the many group of enemies attacking you... I'll reduce its Creep Guard Distance and other else to lessen the enemies that will attack you...

-For the Sapphire, thats the first bug also that I have spotted so not to worry I have fixed it.

-Yes, I am still improving the house terrain. Actually, I cant think of more doodads to put and for the bear with flies, it i meant with that because they are dead and also when they are dead, flies flies on their corpse. Why are the bears in the house? It is used on the Blacksmith's purpose.

-For the camera panning, never in my life I have experience this bug but maybe it has something to do with wrond region... I'll try to fix this!

-The Magical Fountain is for an Optional Quest and not actually for healing, you can go heal on Blacksmith Kan or at the Alchemist's Place at the Lair.

-For the Corrupted Ancient Beast, oh! I forgot to set something of a blocker blocking you to get from him without the Main quest. Good eye, bro!

Thank you for the comment Seedin. You have good eye because some of the bugs you reported are quite not said by others so I'll get on to it and fix it, +2 REP and thanky ou again!

Level 30
So many wall of text, too lazy to ready them. Anyway you just keep making the terrain layout first so quests/story can move then just come back to it later to decorate.

Yes, as suggested by others too

And to all supporters,
Added 2 new Screenshots for the Unstable Den dungeon. Changed the dungeon's cliffs and also added some doodads and destructible that fits in the terrain.... I have realized also that Barren Rocks fits more because it resembles a cave rock so I wil stay with Barren rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.