• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heroes of might and magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em!

Em!

Level 25
Pleeh they ruined kings bounty....the old version was much better it actually fit with the heroes m&m series, but the new kings bounty is entirely a childrens game. Waaah ubisoft wankers, altough kings bounty didn´t really have a storyline but it was an offshot of the first homm game.

Level 35
Me and Gjallarhorn are currently working on a HoMM map mod. While I'm primarily dealing with the gameplay (which involves units and abilities), Gjallarhorn is working on the art side of things (models and town placement). We both check out one anothers work and talk about triggers and such. If you have any questions, Gjallarhorn started a thread about this mod. Hope you'll enjoy it when it's done!

Level 22
HoMM :)

Always liked this game.

1 was meh.
2 was pretty cool.
3 was awesomeness on a stick.
4 was bad except for the heroes in the battle - I sort of liked that.
5 looks pretty but there isn't enough substance behind it.

How am I doing? :p

Level 2
Ah, the nice old game :)
It's classic and I must admit that generally all ideas origin from that game (or are seen there before anywhere else).
HoMM 2 was good, HoMM 3 was awesome :) and HoMM 5 is also very good :)
HoMM 4 is a sprout though =/

Level 35
Yea, I got to agree that the best map is all for one. I mean, a map with every race (except Conflux, unless you choose to start as them :p) is awesome, and the lastability of just that one map is incredible.

Naga Bank on the first week? I wouldn't bother with that. I always go for the Capital ASAP (get it in the second week easily :p). After that, I just get the units I need.

Tell you an awesome combo I did once. I decided to only get (as Necropolis) Skeleton Warriors, Vampire Lords, Power Liches and Dread Knights. Fact is, those are the only units you really need. The rest can be stored in case of emergency.

Using this combo, I fought an enemy army that outnumbered me massively. I chased it into it's Town and pwned it, only to find out it was the town you capture in that Southern Cross map :p

And yes, HoMM 5 is really all Graphic, but it's sort of like Heroes 3 with lag. Nothing really worth getting. Not even worth putting on your Christmas list to Santa or Jack Black.

Level 3
Who ever let me join thx dude HOMM III is one of my most fav games i have all the ex packs and i just love creating the maps on there
I play it on my laptop so i cant send any screen shots coz my comp here is vista

Level 3
Oh yea about what you said there bounty, i think 4 is the worst HOMM in the series and 3 has to be the best due to its awsomeness
5 is abit good but got bored 1 week later...cant bloody complete the conquest level (3rd level) on agreals campaign

Level 3
Hey if i get like HOMM 3 on my comp right now any of you rdy for a match tomorrow? My name on there will kinda be da same

If anyone for game i suggest tomorrow

----
damn i cant get the game on my comp....soz

Level 35
Turn-based maps in Warcraft are currently an unexplored art that has only had a few hit-and-miss attempts. However, people take this to mean that nothing can be done for such a genre of map. I believe that there must be a way to do it.

Okay, here's a list of ideas coming to my head atm, just 'cause they may be helpful in brainstorming:
1) Actual turn based over LAN or Battle.NET is lame because of the amount of time you have to wait for players to take a turn. Now, if you take a leaf out of the book of Age of Wonders, you could do turns simultaneously. There will still be a degree of waiting on the part of the quicker players, but it will be reduced significantly.

Level 35
2) Units DO NOT have to be done in the style of Heroes 3, they could be done as single units and such, possibly with upgrades like Heroes 3.

3) Towns would be a bitch to deal with, there's a couple of ways you could do this. One way is to make like that new 'Conquer' map and just have a Circle of Power outside of a 'town' which your 'hero' enters, or you could make the town on the map itself using preset building locations to allow the player to build what they want at each location. There could also be a limit on each town's building capabilities, making the player think more about what they build.

Level 35
4) The units on the hero isn't a bad idea, it's just not a great idea for Warcraft 3. It'd be a good idea to make units stackable in some way, but that would take more thinking. One option would be to use 'mana' as a form of movement counting. So, if a unit moves so many steps, it will lose its ability to move until next turn. Also, using abilities like Sentinal and Flare as dummy abilities will allow for abilities to be limited in the number of uses they have. I don't think this strictly relates to what I said just before, but a nice idea anyway if you're worried about mana costs and crap like that.

Well, that's all I have for now lol :p

Level 3
Well it'll take quite some thinking and doing but i'm up for it, I've got ALOT of knowledge on units and stuff on heroes 3, So i'll be able to help with units/buildings and sound.

Level 18
Ok so i got a funny story to tell:When i played the RoE campaign Dungeons and Devils i got to the 3rd mission and i started playing so i went around the map with an medium army and when i finaly got to the castle i had olnly 30 Medusa queens and when i saw the huge army in the castle i was like ok i'll restart this mission but first ill die with honor on the batlefield so i went towards the castle but i ran out of movment and i had to wait a turn and during the night you'll never guessed what the pc did?(try to think)
He went to get the waterthing the one that gives you 1000 gold per week so he went but his movment points werent enoght and i just ran into the open castle and won!

Level 35
Yeah, that's the only way to win the mission (as said by Mechanical Man). Srsly, if you even try to bother getting an army up to conquer them by force, there's absolutely NO WAY you can win :/

In the first Dungeons and Devils mission, I waited to long to get enough of an army to deal with the Dragons, and so the Green Dragons were in such numbers that they were virtually indestructible. How'd I win? I kept sending in bought heroes with their starting units spread out across every slot so that when the Green Dragons attacked, they more than often hit themselves. Did that till they were weak enough to conquer with ease :p

It is possible the town started with the cavalier building, btw, but that would be funny for the pc to cheat like that xD

Level 35
BTW, I started playing Heroes IV just for the hell of it, and it's actually not as bad as I once thought. At first the response may be negative if you were a fan of Heroes III before playing any of the other titles, but I do believe this one deserves a chance as it is probably the only Heroes of Might and Magic game that actually changes the entire gameplay style.

If you do play it, there is a greater emphasis on having heroes in your army, preferably not repeating types (although having 2 Barbarians in the same army focusing on Combat skills IS pure ownage :]). The Lords of Order are great for economy and the Thieves of Chaos are fantastic for scouting, but if you have one, you can't have the other (unless you go Might). This shows that heroes now also have a better emphasis in different areas, not just combat.

Any further thoughts?

Level 18
Heroes IV is my second favourite Heroes game i love the fact that you can have a class and dont have to stay a barbarian,,knight,necromancer,warlock etc. its just pure 1337 the graphics are 1337 to i like em and the castles were nice.

Level 35
The graphics, for me, were an interesting factor as well. They changed the look of a lot of creatures (for example, the Medusa had 2 legs instead of a tail, which seemed weird at first but looked better the more you got used to the idea), which I think was interesting and revolutionary, but many die hard fans of the series (like myself at some point) wouldn't have completely agreed with these changes, but played anyway.

Barbarians were 1337, hands down. I choose Combat over Tactics any day :p. Mind you, when I have everything I want from Combat, I will delve into the Tactics skill tree :p

BTW, trolman, which one was your fav? I'd have to say for myself that it's a tie between Heroes IV and Heroes III purely because they're both good, yet entirely different games.

Level 18
Well the h3 medusa was hot and the h4 is an old grandma.
And tactics are skills that improve your army so it doesent help when you're small.
And id really dont know what i like best h3vsh4 just dont know witch one to chose.
The second one is heroes 2 i really liked the ugly graphics but i dont know i <3 (<3 Pirate Utopia <3) 3rd place for heroes 5 the graphics are two heavy and i can olnly see the lowres textures witch is meh.And last is h1.I downloaded it one day to check it out,it suxed balls.So thats my H count. I think H3 is the first game i played over at a friends house but i was very young (i tought that the gremlins were santa :O)

Level 35
Yea, Heroes 5 really tanked up the graphics unnecessarily :/. Even if you do get it working at a decent rate, the whole display of the maps and towns are just... well, they're sucky. I find it hard to find things. And for some reason certain towns don't display correctly for me (not a fault of Heroes 5, but prlly my comp lol). Mind you, the towns are cool to look at, it's just it isn't as nice to finish a town as it was in the other Heroes titles.

Yeah, I just played a match and found that tactics is useful late game, but not so much early game. That's why I play Might lol. LORD HAX!!! :p

Yea, Lords with Nobility and all the other economic skills are just epic, especially when coupled with Breeding Pens. I even went to the extent of getting the Grail on that town lol. 6 Behemoths per week FTW =D. Oh, and however many Cyclopes (prlly 9?) and Harpies FTW :p

Level 18
I know whit H5 its like the graphics are just too good and i dont rally like that.In h234 i was like:Hmm i wish i could see whats over that mountain or whats over that building but in H5 is just meh there's not enought natural creatures 2

I never tryed this but with the necromancety skill :demonolnogy (or something) on max and the nature skill on max you get the rank (demon-summoner or something) and you get +50 for the summoning infernal creatures spells (imps,those dogs,the sluge monsters,ice deamons and the devils) if its all on max can you summon 50 devils? :O

One bad thing about h4 is that the max town income is 1000 (good bye 8 day capital trick)

Level 35
haha, I did that 8 day captital trick myself, although I must admit I came up with it myself and never knew it was a common ideal (although it makes sense. Anyone who plays Heroes 3 more than twice should know that the best way to win is to boost up your economy :p).

Here's what I do. I get my creatures before economy in Heroes IV, which is completely different from HoMM 3, but it works, trust me. You don't want to waste money and resources getting +500 gold per week. Instead, concentrate on your heroes. The first hero you should buy would be a Lord. This hero alone provides more economy than any town itself (unless it has a grail. It would have to be a high level hero to do that lol). Then you level up your heroes, using your units as strength against creeps.

Level 35
Assaulting the enemy works well, too, but only if you can win. If you're Might, victory is almost a gurantee due to early Berserkers (can't control them, don't really want to, either :p). BTW, did I forget to mention that as Might you've already got several Cyclopes minimum? Yea, those things pwn enemies from afar en masse =D

I just finished the Might Campaign in HoMM IV (original) and guess what? I got an item on my way to finish the mission that adds an extra attack to all ranged units attacks. Useless for my Heroes as it doesn't add a third attack (sadly D:), but VERY useful for my 144 Cyclopes =D. Split them in two groups, pwned the living shit out of them =D

BTW, Gold Mines are easier to get in HoMM IV than HoMM III, which I think is fair as they're desparately needed :p

Level 18
Well not all the castles can get a lord and like the knight and death knight they're weak in early game.If you can keep it simple and not spend a lot of money on things the +1000 gold a day will be usefull but you also need a suply of chests,mines and those places were you go and kill monsters for they're money.
Cyclopes are imba 1337 proz but when the monsters are close things can get very bad.Ogre Mages are also good but they're for special tactics olnly.

Level 35
Ogre Mages suck. The only thing saving them from being possibly the worse level 3 fighter in the game would be their highish defense. Bloodlust is not needed when you can hit a maximum of 3 targets at once with 1 ranged attack.

Here's my strat. Open by getting Citadel to get Harpies. Don't bother buying the Harpies for your army yet, just pwn with Berserkers and Centaurs, as well as using your Lord in battles with your Barbarian. Get Wrestling Pit for bonus attack and Cyclopes building. Get Cyclopes when you can, if you're short on Crystal but have plenty of Ore get the Arena while you save up. Within the first week, you should have scouted enough resources to have the Cyclopes building up and running. Next, manage your economy. Your Lord should have levelled up a decent amount, assaults on stray enemy units will help in the long run.

Level 35
Now you build as you need, but ultimately save up gold to recruit the units you stored up. Keep them in your base, take what you need, leaving a hefty garrison. Truly, this strategy pwns :p

I also played as Life recently to try out some strats, and here's what I came up with. From research, it appears that opening with the Stables is a good idea as it helps you scout using your awfully slow starting units. Pikemen > Ballista. Ballistae are only good for ranged attacks in sieges, and even then you have to spend lots of suicidal turns reaching the enemy with them in the first place. Crusaders > Monks. Angels >>>> Champions :p. Champions are poor level 4 units, Angels can Ressurect themselves as needed.

Level 35
Life's main strength lies in being able to purchase skills for your heroes from the Seminary. This is a lot more worthy than one might initially think. It saves you needing to level up to get a base stat that would otherwise take a while to get or waste time that you could spend improving on already existing skills. It sells Combat, btw, which is MUCH needed for the poor Knights.

Level 35
My ideas of other races (although not yet fully explored) is as follows. Chaos's main strength is dealing lots of damage but not coming in enough numbers to support that. Might does this better due to numbers. However, splitting Nightmares in your army is a very good idea, as that means you can cast Terror multiple times to stop the nasty enemy units, postponing their damage. So, Nightmares help you split the enemies army up while maintaining a power threshold. The Medusa's chance to instantly kill 1 unit for each Medusa (I think that's how it works :p) is very nice, and should be exploited. Black Dragons and Hydras are difficult to choose between. The mobility of the Dragon is nice and its power is awesome, plus Magic Immunity, but it's expensive and comes in small numbers.

Level 35
The Hydra, on the other hand, does not suffer enemy retaliation and can hit all adjacent units, making its potential damage the highest in game out of any unit. However, it's not as mobile and can be hit by spells. In the end, that choice comes down to personal preference.

Moving on to Death. Death's Imps are the most pathetic fighters, but are great scouts due to their mobility and can act as a great set up against enemy casters. Just send in a group of Imps to drain the enemy's mana before attacking with your main army, preventing them from casting as much as they would otherwise be able to. Not great for late game, tho, I'm afraid.

Level 35
Skeletons are very poor. Their Skeletal ability is handy, tho. And the fact you can use the Undead Transformer to convert all the Imps you don't want into Skeletons makes them even better. In numbers, Skeletons are VERY nice. Ghosts aren't bad, either, but the Cerberus is the highest damage dealing level 2 creature (hitting up to 3 units at once is very good). Vampires, in my opinion, should be taken all the way, but Venom Spawns have their moments as well, even more so being the only ranged Death unit. The choice between the Devil and the Bone Dragon is fabled to be the most difficult choice in the game. I personally prefer Devils, but if you're going against another Death player, Bone Dragons are the better option. A choice for the player, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.