• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Forest Troll Shadow Hunter

Hero Forest Troll Shadow Hunter

Shadow hunters are masters of voodoo and shadow magic and were once the highest authority amongst all troll societies. Their spirit powers can both heal and curse, walking the line of dark and light in hope of saving the future of trollkind, doing whatever it takes to secure a future for their kin. Shadow hunters are both respected and feared since they walk with the loa and therefore cannot completely understand the needs of mortals.

This is my model for the first HD Model Contest.

My ambition is to increase the diversity of forest troll units and the HD Model Contest was an opportunity to give them a version of the shadow hunter, knowing that these masters of voodoo are present in all troll societies.
So I gave a forest troll model the animations of the classic shadowhunter and give him a more "forest troll" identity. Among the different sets and equipment I gave to the weapon a "forest troll cultural" aspect which forced me to also work on the aspect of the projectile effect. This projectile is also available here and can be added in Worl Editor by importing him like others assets and changing the projectile art of the unit.
Previews
Contents

Hero Forest Troll Shadow Hunter (Model)

Icons (Icon)

Portrait (Model)

Projectile (Model)

Reviews
Mr Ogre man
Congrats for winning 2nd place! great and useful model, I'm expecting more variations soon wink wink
Oh my.... I was legit confused for some minutes. At first I thought it's a nice use of some Forest Troll with Shadowhunter anims, but man, all those geosets and their animations, this is legit impressive! Now I'm seeing Shadowtooth pieces (even the dolls are animated, probably by hand?).
Your model basically does such a good job at looking like it came with Reforged, you don't even see how many pieces it's made from.

Very scary to imagine where he got the teddy bear doll from, poor villagers =(

I want to know how you added bones/matrices for animation
I tried to explain this in another conversation, and as it is quite difficult for me in English, I paste here what I had answered about the animation of the structure in the back with the animation of the doll and severed heads. Hoping it's intelligible :

I Imported the bagpack with the heads from the dark troll high priest, its skin, bones and animation and scalled the animations with the shadowhunter (before that I had compared the animations to see which ones could go together). An important part i must say is that I imported the parent bones of the bagpack too and replace them by bones already present in the shadowhunter model (in that cas the original parent bone was the backbone of the dark troll pirest, which I replaced by the shadow hunter one)

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
Hi, In world editor, you only have to import the model and the skins in the "import manager", and rename it by removing "wc3imported \". Then you've to choose a new units and give it the custom model.

the full tutorial is available here:
an easier way to import is to save map as a folder, then close WE, then open hdwc3import then paste stuff there

Level 9
Hi, In world editor, you only have to import the model and the skins in the "import manager", and rename it by removing "wc3imported \". Then you've to choose a new units and give it the custom model.

the full tutorial is available here:
I know how to import stuff into map. This way however you sacrifice one existing model cause you have to attach imported one to it; also map size is increased with each imported model/texture. That's why I prefer local files.

EDIT.
MY BAD! PROBLEM SOLVED!
I had to set proper path inside mdx files (I've shorten names of the files cause I don't like them too long). Of course I knew what I have to do to make it work; I've done that many times. I was just thinking about few other things simultaneously and missed to do it. Silly me! 😅

Last edited: