• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #4 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, Magtheridon96 is an incompetent judge.

>_>

Last Created Unit is a variable, although one defined in blizzard.j. As long as youre only calling that function in the same frame, theres no problem.

GetLastCreatedUnit is a function.

Is there any difference? No? Good. That makes this a useless comment

There is a difference...

Not all handle subtypes need to be nulled.

The guy didnt null units in his functions -.-

I forget which one of those is slower, but i do know that the difference is irrelevant and that theres absolutely no reason not to use Casting Unit.

Triggering Unit is much faster

Knowing vJass and using Waits has no connection whatsoever

If someone should know vJASS, he should at least be familiar with the fact that waits should be avoided when it comes to spells.

Level 14
Is that to me?
No.

Spells aren't written in vJass dude.
I, for one, quite enjoy writing spells in vJass. Makes life a whole lot easier.

You must be blind or you just don't pay enought attention to what you are reading.
Im neither blind nor do i pay inadequate attention to what im reading.

Oh, and you were obviously able to use globals, so dont tell me JassHelper doesnt work for you. Learning about libraries/scopes is fairly easy. You only have to do minimal adjustments to your code.
Abusing hashtables is never a good idea. I hope you realize we only have 256 instances to throw around.

The contest is over, respect the participants, see you next time when you get some reading-skill.
This is not an attack on you, the judging is over and i have no intention of changing the outcome. Im merely complaining about the poor quality of code review.

Triggering Unit is much faster
So what? Lots of stuff is faster than other alternatives. If you want to optimize, dont look at stuff like this. Look for what code gets executed most often and optimize that.

The guy didnt null units in his functions -.-
Then say that. Players are also handle vars, as are groups and timers (both of which you dont have to null if youre recycling them).

There is a difference...
Which you still havent mentioned. One doesnt play a sound and the other doesnt play a sound. Is there a difference in the silence they cause?

GetLastCreatedUnit is a function.
Of course. Now take a look at what that function actually does. Good day.

EDIT:

I'm jassing since 1,5 month, so the script was done when it wasn't even a month.
All of this doesnt change the fact that your code suffered from the things i mentioned. However much you learned in that month.

The contest is over, respect the participants and judges, end of story.
I dont think automatic respect is appropriate.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
No. 1# I've edited post before you have even looked at it.

I, for one, quite enjoy writing spells in vJass. Makes life a whole lot easier. 2# Requires time to actually learn. Read my post again.

Im neither blind nor do i pay inadequate attention to what im reading. 3# You must be, look my quote.

Oh, and you were obviously able to use globals, so dont tell me JassHelper doesnt work for you. Learning about libraries/scopes is fairly easy. You only have to do minimal adjustments to your code.
Abusing hashtables is never a good idea. I hope you realize we only have 256 instances to throw around.
4# I'm pretty sure you suck in GUI, so even don't speak about hashs (most jass users know that they're slow - about 8 times than indexing, although sometimes they are still usefull) and I know about the limit surely.
Spinnaker said:
Spells aren't written in vJass dude. I'm still learning it. It shuts down 99% of things you have mentioned, furthermore more than 100% counting your blindness. I'm jassing since 1,5 month, so the script was done when it wasn't even a month. Furthermore it was a motivation for me, because whole hero was at first GUI and I've decided: Jass now or never - it was like a quick school.
The only reason why I've used globals (in assist of JassHelper) is because I HAVE lost my map 3 days before contest was over, and I've started writing everything like machine. You weren't in our disccusion during the Contest - so you know nothing.

Then say that. Players are also handle vars, as are groups and timers (both of which you dont have to null if youre recycling them).

Well, actually I'm still not sure about players because there was this occassion where this guy started null player handles in his map and it stopped lagging like hell after that :p

Which you still havent mentioned. One doesnt play a sound and the other doesnt play a sound. Is there a difference in the silence they cause?

Giving the function a null weapontype is more optimal (Less data to store)

Of course. Now take a look at what that function actually does. Good day.

Yes, I know, but the overhead of making a function call is still present.

I'm pretty sure you suck and GUI, so even don't speak about hashs (because most jass users know that they're slow - about 8 times than indexing) and I know about the limit surely.

Actually Spunky, Daeod happens to be a veteran with mad vJass skills xD

Level 14
Well, actually I'm still not sure about players because there was this occassion where this guy started null player handles in his map and it stopped lagging like hell after that :p
Well, player handleids dont change during the game, theyre static (ie. Player(0) returns the same handle every time you call it). So whatever that guy did, it wasnt nulling the player variables that stopped the lagging.

It seems strange but while working on a current project of mine when I was using triggering unit instead of casting unit (I use mostly GUI :p) some of the actions didn't trigger(happen) but when I switched the actions function from triggering unit to casting unit it worked. This is strange as I have not experienced triggering unit not work for casting unit before.
Also I may join the next hero contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.