• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Castle Defense] Defend Wintercastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Yes, that's because wc3 does not reset the skin data when the map ends. Unless the next map has customized it again, the configurations persist. Sadly, there is no good way to avoid that. I may take a look why it specifically affects the standard trees though, probably I can choose another object id there.

Level 26
  • uniformity: Else some of the tooltips would be english, some localized.
  • information: Like the upkeep state displays the difficulty or to inform what the attack and armor types do.
  • integrity: The map has a certain theme and shall emit a flair.
  • experimentation: If you do not try out new things, you will not advance. There is a lot I learned in the production process.

If there was an easy way to make the skin optional, that would be nice too. If I practically force the player to restart the game afterwards, I could actually go a step further and make a specialized executable for the map like a friend of mine did in his project. This would enable a couple more features but I do not know whether I want to be dependent on that.

I am a player myself and am not really annoyed by maps that use custom skin data, just that it would be nice to be aware of it. It's unprobable the skin remains would cause serious bugs since it does not affect the gameplay nor net traffic. There may only be a problem if you get a local fatal error or similar. It's much more likely that your tree and desync were due to another type of remains like slk or txt profile, which I have to examine and in contrast to skin data, those have a better chance to be replaceable.

Level 8
i would join in on the project but you don't like my way of implementing gameplay :p
it is very intresting and promising and i have a ton of ideas for it. i hope you have the passion to complete it. i dont think you'll ever need to wait on recources like i do thou, if i had your skill i would certainly work on it non-stop 24/7 ^^

Level 8
well hell, i wont be able to implement these ideas anyways :p so i might just give them to you ^^ well for starters, an ability customization system would be exceptionally good, each hero should have a choice on what abilities to actually take and what effects they would have, and they would use a certain currency for doing it.

Items enhancing certain effects of each ability should be taken into consideration too (or adding an effect to one)

those abilities should be able to get upgraded, for example a shadow bolt early game should become a shadow storm later on.

also, i never had the chance to make a good looking UI for these ideas i wanted to implement, sort of a "talent tree" but i'm sure you'll figure it out (its kinda lame to buy abilities from a shop screen, dont do it)

Level 26
Made a fix for the latest wc3 version (1.31). Please report if you find more errors. Also uploaded the project to Github. The build chain is outdated. I will update it with tools basing on wc3libs at some point but the codebase is still in vJass.

The latest wc3 developments promise much better code and performance. I am currently working on a thin TypeScript layer wrapping the not so beautiful standard API. There are also awesome new natives and UI possibilities which allow for greater freedom that well suit Defend Wintercastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.