• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helms Deep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Ello all, due to my recent obssession over Helms Deep/Minas Tirith, I've decided to make an UNRIGGED map. All of you guys must have played a Helms Deep map at one point or another, and have expierencied its ultra-haxed rigging, primarily Legolas, but other heroes as well. Here are just a few that I've seen in my Bnet time:
1.Legolas with Blink.
2.Legolas with homing arrows
3.Legolas with .1 attack speed
4.Legolas with 250-1000 damage
5.Aragorn/Hama/Theoden with 3000 heal holy light
6. Gimli mounted form (seriously...he falls off in the movie)
7.Archers shooting through hall walls (ill get to this later)
8.Aragorn with SPLASH damage.
9.Ballista with less range than Rohan Archers

These are just a few of the many rigged crap in Helms Deep. I'm gonna try my best to remove all this rigged stuff and make an actual realistic Helms Deep map. Im surfing the web looking for pictures of Helms Deep, and using my slightly above ingame terrain skills to make a decent fortress as well.

Notice how Rohan Archers can shoot through walls? Well, I'm gonna borrow BFME's idea and just simply make the Hall a building. When it dies, game over. I dont see a way to stop archers from shooting through walls unless someone comes up with a collision system. Ive also though about adding the caves where the women/children and hiding a playable area, instead of having a hall.

HEROES! I know where I can find most, if not all skins/models for the Rohan heroes, and have spells that actually relate to the character. Im not sure if I should add Orc heroes, since you didnt really see any of them other than Lurtz, but they might still be added.
Heroes have been severly nerfed, and all heroes cant singlehandedly slay over 100 orcs without getting killed.

Terrain! I'm using a combination of the raise tool and custom doodads (which need to be edited) to make helms deep. ive finished the deeping wall, and am starting on the keep.

EDIT: Finished with outter walls of the keep, need to add pathing blockers. Added the explosion. If someone could tell me how to make it so all units in region 'A" explode, that would be coolio.

EDIT: Took Rui's advice and created building plots. Heres how they work:
You construct a building from your Wisp (Building plot) anywhere on the Dark marble.
Buildings include: Rohan Barracks, Rohan Archery Range, and Elven Barracks. If your Building Plot moves out of the Dark Marble, it is instantly teleported back to the center. (If i made it immobile, it wouldnt build any buildings) If your building is destroyed, another building plot is spawned after it is destroyed. Funds can be gathered from killing Uruks and Wild men.

Attachments

• Helms Deep.JPG
    Helms Deep.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • helms deep causeway.JPG
    helms deep causeway.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 945
  • helms deep gate.JPG
    helms deep gate.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • helms deeping wall.JPG
    helms deeping wall.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,452
  • helms deep map.JPG
    helms deep map.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 5,574
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOM.JPG
    BOOOOOOOOOOOM.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 759
  • Buidling Plots.JPG
    Buidling Plots.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
thats a good start.. but i sugest you to DON'T USE loarderon tilset but more like Dalaran tileset cause.. in the movie they are really close to a mountain .. so no vegetation (or not mutch) so no grass and ALOT of rocks and dirt... also i suggest you to make an event that it starts to rain after 20 minutes of playing... or like before the battle starts..

Level 14
That's actually not a bad screenshot.

I would have actually used the Barrens tileset, because of the location of the actual fortress.

Otherwise, it's a good screenshot, and I hope you do well with the map.

Level 5
Shall I describe it to you, or would you like me to fetch you a box? XD

I suggest you also set a 'grace period' at the start, maybe do some movie diolouge, so players can orinentate themselves with the map and thier units before the seige.

Level 22
yes, the global weather is ashenvale heavy rain, but i didnt activate it since it causes lag when i go into view entire map mode. the grass is just there since i didnt bother to make the entire map dirt, i can do that later.
i need someone to edit the deeping wall models so that they dont have those stone things on the ramparts (forgot off the top of my head), and instead just have a single connecting fence-wall thing, instead of the gaps. the walls were taken from the hi-res pack in wc3c, and the creator left modding, so im pretty sure its ok to edit. if someone could change the texture to something of a more whitish-grayish color, that would be excellent.

Level 6
for walled chambers/walls:

u can make a trigger to check if the attacked unit and the attacker are in regions hat cannot exchange fire w/ each other. if true, order the attacker to stop.

Level 14
Honestly, the screenshots look surprisingly good.

You, truthfully, did an awesome job. It's gotten loads better since the original screenshot.

you should add the secret passage close to the bridge aragorn and gimly use... like you enter into a door.. it teleports you to the other side of the wall and than you just need a ''jumping triggers'' to make them land on the road ;D (simple idea)

Level 5
Another couple idea-

some 'gate repairmen' for the gate on the hornburg.

Legolas should have a 'dagger' mode for melee, same with Aragorn and the elven captain. Gimli is stuck with his axe.

Maybe include the ballistas for ladder triggers as well.

Level 6
i played the lotr bfme game

legolas' abilities are hawk strike, his swords mode, train archers (gives xp to ranged ppl), and arrow wind (clusterrocket w/o the stun + the missles WILL HIT/HOME-TO enemies in the AoE when it is casted, even when they leave the AoE).

aragorn has blademaster (+dmg and small-aoe-cleave), athelas (heals all nearby enemy heroes), elendil (scares all level 1 units away; they flee), leadership aura (+dmg aura i think), and army of the dead (summons a small army of the dead).

gimli has throw axe (single target nuke), leap attack (jump spell that damages and knocks-down (stuns) enemies in target aoe), and slayer (temporary + ms, knockback(stuns) attack, small aoe cleave).

theoden has glorious charge (almost no damage taken by riders), a leadership aura, and kings favor (+xp to target units). glorious charge is the was the 2nd most awesome spell (most awesome was lightning sword of gandalf).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
There was a very good Helms Deep map around, it might still be in the archive. It was never very popular due to it's traditional gameplay and the high size (it was nearly 4MB).
I suggest you come up with something original, building plots for example. I also suggest taking a look at the original Helms Deep from EA's BFME if you indeed have it: right now yours looks too unrealistic.

Last edited:
Level 22
look unrealistic? well, its kinda hard to place things on the wall since theyre custom walls, but ill figure it out. yes, building plots are a good idea, like wisps that are immobile and can only build on blighted areas (the plots). i do indeed have bfme, and took some ideas from it.

ill try to make the heroes abilities same as the bfme's ones, but some are kinda tough, like aragorns elendil cry, and ill need alternate attack animations for legolas if i want to do like knife mode. ARAGORN WONT HAVE A BOW.

and rui, please give me some examples to make it more realistic, i.e. grass? ill also add an encampment area behind the deeping wall, where the building plots are located and such.

Level 11
This is beautiful it makes a grown man cry sniff sniff lol. Ok you must of watched the Battle of Helms Deep over and over again to get that kind of terrain. The only terrain there is are barren grey land, a small river(forgot what's it called), and a mountain behind the fortress. Now like you sayed there are alot of dumb Helm's Deep map especially Legolas, sure he's good but he's not god. Also all the ladder are invunerable once they reached the wall which is kinda dumb. Try making a hero kick the ladder off the wall.

Level 9
How far into the project are you? When will it be completed?
Im really looking forward to playing this gl and +rep

Level 22
why the hell would their arrows be homing in the first place!?
im still working on the map, progress is slow since im also doing:
a campaign
minas tirith
an old altered melee
and cause hurricane ike knocked out all the power in my apartments.

Level 9
Wow... thats alot of stuff
Any chance you can post Screenshots of Minas also?

Level 11
Toasted are you blind or something?

@ modler2 ya he's right that you are necroposting if a new post has been made 15 days after the last one is considered necroposting, the post will be removed cause of that unless it's a good question your asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.