• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hearthglen

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
HEARTHGLEN

FROM THE UPCOMING CAMPAIGN: TO SEE A WORLD IN A GRAIN OF SAND
Created by Xanur21

THE STORY BEHIND THE MAP

Hearthglen.

It is at this pivotal moment in time that Jaina has travelled back to in time to save her beloved Arthas from his ever-encroaching dark fate. With the aid of her new allies, the Infinite Dragonflight, Jaina takes on this race against time itself.

FEATURES

This map is situated within the nestling hills of the Kingdom of Lordaeron, north of Andorhal. The aim of the map is to create a nostalgic feeling of old Lordaeron, at the brink of the Third War.

Come explore these rolling hills and forest paths. Discover ol' Hearthglen and the little treasures this quaint little town has to offer, including its magnificent cemetery and breathtaking waterfalls.

DISCLAIMER

Feel free to use and edit this map, with credits to me and the creators of the used content in this map.

This map was made using The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0, thus it is a big file. I did not attempt to remove any unwanted files, in the case that someone would like to edit this map.

SCREENSHOTS

CREDITS

IF YOUR NAME SHOULD APPEAR ON THIS LIST, AND IT IS NOT, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AND I WILL ADD IT.

DungeonM
fladdermasken

Daelin
Olofmoleman
Chriz.
xXm0rpH3usXx
Celestea
Nasrudin
aquilla
Mc !
Illidan
reinless
oBs3rv3r
Xios
sc_freak
abriko
JetFangInferno
iNfraNe
Whitehorn
Red XIII
HappyTauren
Herio-san
Illidan(evil)x
Born2Modificate
BlinkBoy
DungeonM
Talavaj
tobyfat50
oGre_
Born2Modificate
Deolrin

Keywords:
Hearthglen, Terrain, Template.
Contents

Hearthglen (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM...
Level 2
A map with such big file size can't be a template. Not to mention you made it with UTM.
UTM isn't meant to be used for making a playable map like this.
If you want to at least submit this map, remove all of the unused models.
Give credits to the owners of the models you are using.
oh ok

Level 5
can people use this terrain map to build other maps?

Thank you!

You're more than welcome to download this map and edit it to your needs.

In case you're interested in terraining and making your own maps, you can check out UTM.

A map with such big file size can't be a template. Not to mention you made it with UTM. UTM isn't meant to be used for making a playable map like this.
If you want to at least submit this map, remove all of the unused models.

I get it, it's a big file, but as I said in the description, I did not attempt to remove any unwanted files, in the case that someone would like to edit this map.

I thought I was being nice by leaving all the resources for future editors. Because let's face it, importing tons and tons of files all over again is a schlep.

Once someone has decided on what they'd like to use this map for, be it a single player map, cinematic or whatever, they can remove whatever they didn't feel like using in order to optimize the map to their specific needs.

Level 22
Once someone has decided on what they'd like to use this map for, be it a single player map, cinematic or whatever, they can remove whatever they didn't feel like using in order to optimize the map to their specific needs.
Template is meant to be used easily by user. Removing so many imported materials sound like a hassle to me. Not to mention they can make a mistake when removing the imported materials. You should be the one who does that. Besides, nobody wants to use a template with 50 MB file size.

I thought I was being nice by leaving all the resources for future editors. Because let's face it, importing tons and tons of files all over again is a schlep.
Let's face it, deleting tons and tons of imported files without knowing which models and skins the files are referring to is more than a schlep.
The resources are from UTM anyway, the UTM maker is the one who was being nice by leaving all the resources for future editors. The purpose is also not for making a playable map. This map can't be a template as it is now.

The credits don't go to DungeonM & fladdermasken only. There are way so many models made by so many people inside the UTM. Give them the credits.

Level 5
Template is meant to be used easily by user. Removing so many imported materials sound like a hassle to me. Not to mention they can make a mistake when removing the imported materials. You should be the one who does that. Besides, nobody wants to use a template with 50 MB file size.

Let's face it, deleting tons and tons of imported files without knowing which models and skins the files are referring to is more than a schlep.
The resources are from UTM anyway, the UTM maker is the one who was being nice by leaving all the resources for future editors. The purpose is also not for making a playable map. This map can't be a template as it is now.

The credits don't go to DungeonM & fladdermasken only. There are way so many models made by so many people inside the UTM. Give them the credits.

You're being overly difficult for no apparent reason...

If it bugs you, don't use it. As simple as that.

I uploaded another template of roughly the same size, also made in UTM, that got approved and was given good reviews.

I'll update the credits later today, to include every single person who's models are present in UTM.

Level 22
You're being overly difficult for no apparent reason...

If it bugs you, don't use it. As simple as that.

I uploaded another template of roughly the same size, also made in UTM, that got approved and was given good reviews.

I'll update the credits later today, to include every single person who's models are present in UTM.
I'm not talking about good reviews here, what you've made certainly deserve a good review because it looks great.
I was just stating my opinion about something that I think isn't right, but it seems the mods or reviewers have their reasons (which I'm sure it's good enough). So, I won't say anything regarding that any further.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

mine is never approved. and it only have 10% of your filesize :p
man your lucky.

Level 21
Rheiko, a template is approved regardless of the filesize because as Xanur21 said, you wanna use the template, you're welcome. You don't, it doesn't matter. Leaving the unused stuff is just as disadvantageous as removing it because both have their negative implications so it's not a concern.
By the way, I will review this shortly.

Level 21
That's certainly a high-quality template just as Caverns of Time. There's no doubt you have a talent for terraining and that you're a master of lighting effects. The godlike rocks, together with the amazing cloudy effects and the magnificent waterfalls, are astonishing.
As far as I could see, there weren't overscaled doodads which could disturb normal camera view noticeably. Concerning the tiles, you used them pretty well. There is an explosion of colours on the ground all over with nearly no monotone zones.
The area of the burning forest was extraordinary, perfectly done, most probably due to the mist you applied which gives the right atmosphere to that place.
I'm also glad you put invisible platforms on the stairs; you spared lots of unpleasant efforts to map-makers!

But now let's get to some negative points. As I was *climbing the naboo stairs*, everything was fantastic, until I reached the top and found... the ugly Blizzard cliffs!! No, just no. Anything is better than those cliffs, trust me. In addition, that piece of terrain I'm talking about doesn't really do justice to your template. It is the only ugly point I could spot as it was not decorated well. The grassy part is fine but the rest is not. I would recommend removing the cliffs and putting rocks with stony archways, just as you did with the first stairway. I'm sure the result would be more beautiful.

Something you could consider is filling the shores located beside the houses with a few watery doodads. They feel very empty and could really be improved. I'd also suggest adopting tile variation on the dirt. Some rough dirt/grassy dirt would be cool I believe.

The biggest downside to this template is the unnatural spamming of trees. When I see that, I only think that the creator either ran out of ideas for his template or became indolent and filled up the empty space with trees to finish it off. Well, that's negative. About 25% of the template is shrouded with clumps of trees. Just move your screen from the bottom right corner to the bottom left corner; it's a lot of potential terrain wasted for nothing. For a playable map, it would be fine, though for a template, I'd rather not do that. The aim of a template is to offer a beautiful terrain that can be used and if I think that quarter of it is not done, it makes me sad.

Overall the template is not yet ready for an approval but kudos for your excellency in terraining :thumbs_up:
Please do work on the first and especially the last point.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Are you going to be a better terrainer than Forsaken? Because, if you wanna do it, you started really great! This one is extremely livid and extraordinary, it makes you feel like you are playing Warcraft 4. Incredibly cool! 5/5 from me! GOOD JOB!

Level 5
That's certainly a high-quality template just as Caverns of Time. There's no doubt you have a talent for terraining and that you're a master of lighting effects. The godlike rocks, together with the amazing cloudy effects and the magnificent waterfalls, are astonishing.
As far as I could see, there weren't overscaled doodads which could disturb normal camera view noticeably. Concerning the tiles, you used them pretty well. There is an explosion of colours on the ground all over with nearly no monotone zones.
The area of the burning forest was extraordinary, perfectly done, most probably due to the mist you applied which gives the right atmosphere to that place.
I'm also glad you put invisible platforms on the stairs; you spared lots of unpleasant efforts to map-makers!

But now let's get to some negative points. As I was *climbing the naboo stairs*, everything was fantastic, until I reached the top and found... the ugly Blizzard cliffs!! No, just no. Anything is better than those cliffs, trust me. In addition, that piece of terrain I'm talking about doesn't really do justice to your template. It is the only ugly point I could spot as it was not decorated well. The grassy part is fine but the rest is not. I would recommend removing the cliffs and putting rocks with stony archways, just as you did with the first stairway. I'm sure the result would be more beautiful.

Something you could consider is filling the shores located beside the houses with a few watery doodads. They feel very empty and could really be improved. I'd also suggest adopting tile variation on the dirt. Some rough dirt/grassy dirt would be cool I believe.

The biggest downside to this template is the unnatural spamming of trees. When I see that, I only think that the creator either ran out of ideas for his template or became indolent and filled up the empty space with trees to finish it off. Well, that's negative. About 25% of the template is shrouded with clumps of trees. Just move your screen from the bottom right corner to the bottom left corner; it's a lot of potential terrain wasted for nothing. For a playable map, it would be fine, though for a template, I'd rather not do that. The aim of a template is to offer a beautiful terrain that can be used and if I think that quarter of it is not done, it makes me sad.

Overall the template is not yet ready for an approval but kudos for your excellency in terraining :thumbs_up:
Please do work on the first and especially the last point.

I apologise for the late response. This semester kicked off with a bang and I'm still trying to keep head above water.

I appreciate the honest and meticulous critique. I will make sure to address every highlighted point and give it the necessary attention, as soon as I start editing again. I do apologise for my slow progress in editing and re-uploading maps, but as a Medical Student, I have a lot of other responsibilities to attend to. I hope the staff would be understanding and forgiving.

Are you going to be a better terrainer than Forsaken? Because, if you wanna do it, you started really great! This one is extremely livid and extraordinary, it makes you feel like you are playing Warcraft 4. Incredibly cool! 5/5 from me! GOOD JOB!

Wow! That's such a great compliment. Thank you very much! I can only dream of becoming such a great terrainer as Forsaken.

You defenitely got real skill as a terrainer.
Those lightning and mist effects are really awesome!

I would however like to see what your answer to Shadow Furys post is before approving, as he raises many valid points.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

I agree. He has raised many valid points, which I will address as soon as I find time to.

man this is beautiful, i downloaded it some time ago just to see how you did these waterfalls and the different height levels. on top it is playable :thumbs_up:

I'm really glad you liked it! Feel free to use it as you wish. If you find a use for it, do share with me. I'd really like to see this map's potential!

Level 21
I'm happy that one of my last reviews as map moderator was also a successful one :')
It doesn't matter if you answered late, especially if you're a student in the faculty of hellicine (sorry, medicine* XD). Dat thing is damn hard! Also, there is no deadline in updating a map and the staff won't surely care about that. Take your time :)

By the way, I will not be the one approving the map. As you see, I stepped down so I leave this honour to Rufus.

Level 5
Hahaha Hellicine, indeed! :goblin_cry:

It is sad to hear that you've stepped down, but I believe you have your reasons. Best of luck in your endeavors and I hope to still see you around the Hive. :)

EDIT:

I've updated the map, but I'm really, really, REALLY struggling to get it uploaded. :(

Last edited:
Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation

No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 5
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation

No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

It saddens me that this has to happen, but I accept this fate.

I have an updated version on my computer, but as I've stated in a reply above, I've been struggling to get it uploaded for quite some time. I have tried countless times over the year.

I've been struggling getting packages uploaded since HIVE II launched. It was by some divine intervention that I could get this map uploaded in the first place. A frustration that has now discouraged me from uploading anything, but pictures of my projects.

While trying to upload a package, I notice that there are three moving squares in the top righthand corner for a few seconds, and then it disappears, while no file is shown to be uploaded. There is no form of a progress bar showing how far the process of uploading is or where it ended, and no indication as to what went wrong during the uploading process.

I shall continue trying to upload on a weekly basis, as I feel that "substandard" rating doesn't do this map justice. Even with the minor changes "not made".

But until then I accept this rating. Rules are rules.