• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good Gamer Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Well last year I got a laptop to be my main computer and I gave my old desktop to my brother. I realized laptops do not make good gameing pcs and I am thinking about getting another desktop. I do not have money for a fancy alienware, but I have found some budget gamer PC's. I have my eye on this one, I just want to know what you guys think of it: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GUA103SE/15231528

Quad Core Processer and 4GB of RAM sounds nice. It looks like it has a legitimate video card, correct me if I am wrong, and a 1TB hardrive is amazing compared to my current 250GB . Also, it just looks cool.

Tell me what you think.

Level 19
i dont think thats any good. It looks good sure, it might have good specs, but $500? actual gaming computers cost way more than that.

Level 15
Well last year I got a laptop to be my main computer and I gave my old desktop to my brother. I realized laptops do not make good gameing pcs and I am thinking about getting another desktop. I do not have money for a fancy alienware, but I have found some budget gamer PC's. I have my eye on this one, I just want to know what you guys think of it: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GUA103SE/15231528

Quad Core Processer and 4GB of RAM sounds nice. It looks like it has a legitimate video card, correct me if I am wrong, and a 1TB hardrive is amazing compared to my current 250GB . Also, it just looks cool.

Tell me what you think.

The GPU is crap, doesn't give the mhz/CAS timings on the RAM, the processor is midrange, Cyberpower likes shitty motherboards, HDD is likely a 5400RPM, and no info on the power supply.

Level 9
Alienware! :grin:
you can build yours there!
~ Alienware m11x(The most powerful notebook, I guess) cost starts at $800, you will build it, choose intel processor, dual core, i3,i5,i7 , You can play CoD at high graphics! <--- CoD fan xD

~There's laptops but cost high

~CPU, I don't know much about this, but check out their website.

~I think shipping is included in their price.
~last Christmas, they give discounts, and turn the notebook into $600(Core2Duo) $800(i7)

--better to buy when it has occasion, they got promos, less than price :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 7
I found these custom builds online, http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

What do you think of the budget build?

EDIT: do to the stated video card being unavailable, what do you think of this one? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5637429&CatId=2306

EDIT: Never mind the above build, what do you guys think of this one?:
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 875K Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156]-[Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 - 1GB
Motherboard 1 x MSI H55M-P33 -- Intel H55 Express Chipset w/ 8ch HD Audio, Dual-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA, USB 2.0, 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface 1 x [Free] Internal USB 3.0 PCI-E 2.0 x1 Expansion Card
Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt -- Standard
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x 24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Sound Card 1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Last edited:
Level 15
EDIT: Never mind the above build, what do you guys think of this one?:
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 875K Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156]-[Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 - 1GB
Motherboard 1 x MSI H55M-P33 -- Intel H55 Express Chipset w/ 8ch HD Audio, Dual-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA, USB 2.0, 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface 1 x [Free] Internal USB 3.0 PCI-E 2.0 x1 Expansion Card
Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt -- Standard
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x 24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Sound Card 1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Hey hey hey, didn't I say stay away from Cyberpower/Ibuypower?

Also, sound card is useless for you and the GPU is crap, it's as good as a flagship card from 5-7 years ago. It's meant as the replacement for the GT220.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For gamming you will want atleast a 560 Ti (replacement for 460 GTX) if you go nvidia. Not the strongest but with good cost per performance ratio as far as I can tell.

To put it in comparision, the 560 is a noticable upgrade over 460 card and is about 10 times stronger (flop wise) than the 520.

What is strange is the memory layout. It says eithor 1 x 4 or 2 x 2 which is fine for dual channel configurations but offers no tri channel configuration (All I7 support tri channel memory I think).

Level 27
In a time of geforce 500 and AMD 6000 cards? I do not think so.

Also AMD does not really offer better processors than intel. Yes they can be good for their price but with performance at the moment intel offers the best solutions.

Well if i should choose between a 5450 and a 4870 i'd go for the second one.

And euhm, there was a AMD Athlon II X4 645 in the PC that he linked to, i was just saying he could get a 940 or something for only a few 10 euros more or so..

Hardware Revolution

That is all.

Edit: About the computer you linked to.
Four cores at that speed are practically useless with the amount of RAM you have. I would get at least 8GB, or even 12GB+ if you can afford it, with the best possible specs on it. The harddrive is also kinda overkill, as you'll likely not fill it for a long, long time (and at that point, it's easier to get an external, so it's less hassle to transfer it around). Better to use an SSD for the system, and a 160GB+ for everything else.

Overall, if you didn't build the computer yourself with parts you yourself picked out, you'll likely to be overpaying for something that could be a hell of a lot better.

(also, it should go without saying that the keyboard and mouse suck, badly. If you want good gaming equipment, go Razer.)

Level 15
That is all.

Clearly it is not.

Four cores at that speed are practically useless with the amount of RAM you have. I would get at least 8GB, or even 12GB+ if you can afford it, with the best possible specs on it.

You don't need anything more then 6 unless you are doing intensive graphical, modeling, or serving work. And 2.93ghz for 4 cores is pretty damn good, especially given the overclocking headroom on those buggers.

(also, it should go without saying that the keyboard and mouse suck, badly. If you want good gaming equipment, go Razer.)

Razer just makes flashy crap then slaps "Gamer" on it. Logitech makes the best mice I have seen. And don't even bring up Cyborg.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Memory is only useful up to like 6 GB currently as most applications are still 32 bit.

That would be 3 * 2 GB for an I7 working in tri channel mode (maximum efficiency).

Yes more memory helps cache more data for games (the data files get cached into memory after loaded once). But you still have 3 GB for that and most games will struggle to load that much data repetitivly.

Clearly it is not.

Nou.
You don't need anything more then 6 unless you are doing intensive graphical, modeling, or serving work. And 2.93ghz for 4 cores is pretty damn good, especially given the overclocking headroom on those buggers.
With the amount of RAM that computer has, the CPU is just a waste. Better to have 2 cores and a lot of RAM, than 4 core and practically no RAM (4GB isn't a lot for a gaming computer running W7).

Razer just makes flashy crap then slaps "Gamer" on it. Logitech makes the best mice I have seen. And don't even bring up Cyborg.

I'm quite happy with my Nostromo. It's served me quite well in World of Warcraft.

Level 15
With the amount of RAM that computer has, the CPU is just a waste. Better to have 2 cores and a lot of RAM, than 4 core and practically no RAM (4GB isn't a lot for a gaming computer running W7).

RAM is just storage, faster RAM is always nice, but once you get past a certain point, the CPU is the bottleneck. On that build the GPU was the bottleneck. Past that it would be the storage. Then the RAM, and even then it wouldn't be size, but speed.

I am quite happy with my Phenom 2 X3 720 [email protected], 4gb DDR2 1066 4-4-4-12, and HD4870 1gb

Status
Not open for further replies.