• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Actually, I just searching for many laptops, a gaming laptops.
And I see something weird, and I have many question now

1. Why is the price between laptop with 2.2 ghz CPU and laptop with 2.3 ghz CPU is so different? What I see is i3 2330 and i3 2350
2. Is gpu is stronger than CPU? What should I choice, great CPU or great gpu?
3. About ram, ram is used for use many program at same time. And is 2gb ram enough to use WE without lag? I used my netbook and it's so lag (1gb ram)
4. Ram again. Can I used 3ds with 2gb RAM? My laptop right now is 4 gb, and it has no lag.
5. What company should I used? HP? Acer? ASUS? I want something that cheap
6. Why Lenovo is so cheap? I see Lenovo laptop that have same spec with Asus is way cheaper?

Well that's all for now. Feel free to answer it

Bonus:
7. Is quad core 1.7 ghz is better than dual core 2.6 ghz?

Level 13
To start off, I'd like to say that laptops in general are not good for gaming, at least not if you're somewhat serious about it :)

To answer your questions:
1. Why is the price between laptop with 2.2 ghz CPU and laptop with 2.3 ghz CPU is so different? What I see is i3 2330 and i3 2350
I don't know really, but you can look at this for comparison: http://processors.findthebest.com/compare/44-45/Intel-i3-2350M-vs-Intel-i3-2330M. Maybe the other specs of the PCs you're looking at is different as well.

Usually I would go for GPU, but you should not go below an i3 processor either. I guess there is a balance when it's budget systems you're looking at.

3. About ram, ram is used for use many program at same time. And is 2gb ram enough to use WE without lag? I used my netbook and it's so lag (1gb ram)
I would not go below 4GB of RAM. Of cause the new win 8 use less memory to run, but I would still call it absolute minimum. Get more if you can, try to aim for 6GB or 8GB.

4. Ram again. Can I used 3ds with 2gb RAM? My laptop right now is 4 gb, and it has no lag.
Dunno, what is 3ds? xD But get 4 anyway :p

I would recommend Lenovo, but I don't know if they have any real gaming laptops, as I think most of them come with workstation GPUs. Else I've heard good things about Acer, but don't take my word for it :p

6. Why Lenovo is so cheap? I see Lenovo laptop that have same spec with Asus is way cheaper?
Are they? They seem pretty expensive to me, at least if you want something with some real power.

Depends on what you're doing, and if the application you're running can utilize multiple cores.
I know that starcraft 2 for instance, cannot utilize more than two cores, so for that the dual core would be better. Personally I would go for the quad core though.

Reactions: ILH
Actually, I just searching for many laptops, a gaming laptops.
And I see something weird, and I have many question now

Well that's all for now. Feel free to answer it

Bonus:

1) Depends on other specs

2) Just get nothing below a latest gen i3, then get a good GPU

any of the latest gen intel cores is probably enough for most job... being able to play a game nicely will then probably depend more on the GPU... also, I think new games can utilize the GPU to take less load from the processor so a good GPU is a really good thing to have

3) I would suggest nothing below 4gb for most people nowadays (mine was actually just 3gb, and using win7 I already have half of it at startup...my housem8 has a 2gb ram and win8, and I tell you, it's so slow)

4) what?

5) I use Dell personally... and I find them nice... take time to survey your place too, sometimes the quality is also based on the market...

6) Acer is just so pricey

7) Depends on what you're gonna do really... and maybe on your OS too... for an older OS running older programs I suggest just getting the 2.6ghz... but on newer OS or newer programs, the 1.7ghz quad core might work better since those would actually utilize the 4 cores...

Also, according to my prof... you should also get a chipset with a better Cache size, it makes things faster...

but really, get a latest gen i3/i5 (but if you can, get i7... though prioritize the GPU upgrade than the processor), then get maybe at least 8gb ram and a really good GPU + at least 1TB of HDD and you're good to go...

Level 34
Everyone has responded to everything else, but I just wanted to point this out:

at least 1TB of HDD and you're good to go...
500gb is plenty. Buying large internal drives seems really pointless to me unless you really hate having to carry an external drive. It just makes so much more sense to me to carry my music, photos, and movies on an external.

Level 17
laptops are the worst choice for gaming; they have horrible cooling systems, they get so hot, you can burn yourself when you touch the exterior, the processor overheats very quickly causing a system shutdown.. this however is somewhat useful in the wintertime as you can use your laptop to heat your room but if you want an enjoyable gaming experience buy a decent tower

Level 35
laptops are the worst choice for gaming; they have horrible cooling systems, they get so hot, you can burn yourself when you touch the exterior, the processor overheats very quickly causing a system shutdown.. this however is somewhat useful in the wintertime as you can use your laptop to heat your room but if you want an enjoyable gaming experience buy a decent tower

While I agree that a tower would be better for gaming (lower price for same specs), a laptop made for gaming can function quite well as such (without heating issues).

But in regards to the thread question I recommend getting your computer from here if you are danish :wgrin:: http://www.mm-vision.dk/ - but assuming you are not from Denmark I would look at their gamelaptops for the specs, they deliver and quite nicely so.
(I am using them myself, because I needed the good specs for rendering with maya and occasional gaming, but that would work for 3D Studio as well).

That said you should also check out check here for reviews and comparison of different cards. (Click each card name for specific data).

Good luck :wthumbsup:

Last edited:
Level 34
This post is complete bullshit. Please ignore.

He wants a LAPTOP... he didn't ask for a laptop vs DESKTOP...

and seriously, I have been using a laptop for more than half a decade now (we don't even have a DESKTOP right now at home), and I have no problems playing games in it... I never even experienced a shutdown on this one...

heating? even DESKTOPs heat fast bro... it all depends on your cooling system... ever heard of laptop coolers? electric fans? or if you're rich, Aircon...

Last edited:
Level 13
Laptops are bad for gaming if you want max settings in all your games, and are used to playing on a desktop. Just saying. I used to use laptops, but I'm so glad I switched to desktop gaming.

You should only get a laptop if you need it for school, or something like that. Even if you goes to LAN parties with friends, desktops are just win.

Level 35
Laptops are bad for gaming if you want max settings in all your games, and are used to playing on a desktop. Just saying. I used to use laptops, but I'm so glad I switched to desktop gaming.

You should only get a laptop if you need it for school, or something like that. Even if you goes to LAN parties with friends, desktops are just win.

That is incorrect. The only difference is that to get a proper gaming laptop you have to pay a lot more than you would for a desktop.

And thanks to space you can build a stronger one if a desktop, however that does not exclude laptops from being able to run the newest games on max settings - Given that I for instance own one that does exactly that.

Last edited:
Level 14
That is incorrect. The only difference is that to get a proper gaming laptop you have to pay a lot more than you would on a computer.

And thanks to space you can build a stronger one if a desktop, however that does not exclude laptops from being able to run the newest games on max settings - Given that I for instance own one that does exactly that.

How does that make it incorrect? Of course you can fix the issue by throwing money at it, but under common circumstances desktops are inherently better.

If more money is the solutions, we can talk about toilet embedded computers for gaming.

well, if you're the kind who only stays at home, then yeah get a desktop... but if you're like for example a student who lives on a dorm, or goes out a lot and wants your gaming device with you, a laptop is the way to go... I for one cannot go with a desktop mainly because I live at an apartment during weekdays and go home on weekends, sometimes I even go home suddenly...

anyway that statement is wrong because he said laptops are BAD for gaming, which is not true... it is still good for gaming, desktops are simply better... Having something better than you doesn't mean that you're bad...

Level 34
How does that make it incorrect? Of course you can fix the issue by throwing money at it, but under common circumstances desktops are inherently better.

If more money is the solutions, we can talk about toilet embedded computers for gaming.
Oh 'better'.

How it is they toss you around,
as if you were a just simple word
with you they expect their sentence to be crowned
but you only make their point absurd.

I would tell you that we could fix this issue,
but you and I know that would be a lie
and for your tears I do not have a tissue
so the best we could hope for is to say goodbye.

Goodbye oh 'better'.

Seriously though. Define better. "Inherently better" at what? Being less transportable? It sure is.

Also...

HE SPECIFICALLY ASKED ABOUT LAPTOPS. STOP BRINGING UP DESKTOPS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. ONCE WAS ENOUGH.

A simple, "just to let you know, you'll get a better bang for your buck buying a desktop for gaming."
Oh wait.... the first response did that. We coulda just dropped it.

Level 35
Just an advice. It's probably cheaper to have a powerful desktop for gaming, and a cheap laptop for studies :)

Given that he indicates a need for using 3D studio Max I am assuming he requires a certain amount of calculating speed for his laptop, also in connection with his studies. At any rate I believe the question has been answered, unless thread starter states otherwise.

Level 15
Thank you all (sorry, I just got my wifi back)
I think all of my question has answered, just want to clarify it.

I choice laptop because I like to play it on school. And I'm only play games for 1 hour then I got bored. Thank you all

I'm using a Lenovo Y580 for work. It's cheap and price efficient; 1.3k for an ivybridge i7 (at the time of purchase) and GTX 670M. I could have added an additional 100 for a 1080p screen, but it wasn't needed. Add on another hundred bucks for an SSD and you're good to go.

The downside to this is the screen is not color accurate. For color critical works, you will have to use a secondary display; and the graphics card is more than powerful enough to power the secondary display even when gaming.

More details @ http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y580

Although obviously the performance is nowhere close to my custom built desktop =p.

On a side note, there is very little difference between i7 and i5 if your softwares can not take advantage of the hyperthreading of i7. You can always settle for a cheaper variant if given a choice between i5 and i7. A lot of the modern softwares support hardware acceleration now, which means your GPU is equally as important when it comes to considering your rig.

RAM is very important if you intend to maximize your performance and the lifespan of your SSD. My home set-up has file paging turned off completely, but I run at 32 GB RAM so I never need it. My work laptop runs out of RAM sometimes when my IIS caches a lot of data (the CMS I work on tends to do that), and I'm looking to increase it. I don't like file paging =p.

Level 21
memory and harddrive is possible to upgrade so if you find a laptop with good specs but low memory you could just upgrade the memory but i would suggest asking if the shop have that kind of memory first or finding out where you can get it. games rely more on graphics card than processor however so a good graphics card should be chosen over a good processor if you have to choose. you also need to make sure that the monitor is good(very important). i got a laptop a few years ago that had a decent graphics card but the monitor is too weak to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.