• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

PC fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
When I shut my PC down all fans continue working.The only way to turn them off is cut the power supply.I googled and found that if I reflashed my BIOS they would stop working after the shut down and it was a reported bug.It didn't work.I tried to see if windows had a problem and didn't shut down properly so I used an ubuntu live cd and turned it off but the problem is still there.Already tried to fix registry with ccleaner still nothing.
PC Specs
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 ghz
3GB Ram(1*2GB&1*1GB)
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB
Motherboard: Asus P5P41D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Has this problem started recently or always been present? It could be caused by loose motherboard pins as the motherboard has connections to the PSU for managing power output. The fans will keep running if the motherboard is not able to tell the PSU to enter low power mode.

It could also be a badly setup BIOS. Maybe the fans are meant to always run but a controller shuts them off when the computer is off. If this controller were disabled in the BIOS they might keep running forever. I cannot back this up with evidence as usually it manifests as loud fans when using the computer as they always run at 100% while the computer is on, even when not required for cooling.

Level 7
The problem started ~1week ago.I have already unplugged and plugged again the power supply and nothing happened.I updated the BIOS and the problem still exists.
@Adiktuz and andreasaspenberg it is just weird that my pc started showing this problem even if I had done nothing to it(no new installations or an update to something),I already cut the power supply after I shut it down.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

the power supply needs cooling even when the pc is off or else it will overheat.

My old pc melted due to overheating when not turned on :(

Now I use a separate fan to cool my current pc when turned off :)

Level 15

Found the solution: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005498/

I tried to see if windows had a problem and didn't shut down properly so I used an ubuntu live cd and turned it off but the problem is still there.

The logical next step would be to update the BIOS.

Already tried to fix registry with ccleaner still nothing.

CCleaner cant help you with this kind of issues.

I updated the BIOS and the problem still exists.

Now this complicates things, considering that you are cleaning it regularly and the fact that dust can barely affect fan headers due to their simple construction, I guess only thing left to do is to do a manual reset.

Power down your PC, unplug the PSU. Remove the CMOS battery (attached image) from the motherboard and wait for about 5 minutes. Then put it back in, connect the PSU and try if it shuts down properly.

Found the solution: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005498/

Attachments

• asus-p5p41d-2d-big.jpg
    asus-p5p41d-2d-big.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 91
Level 7
Seems I forgot to refer I have already tried replacing the PSU with a friend's PSU and the problem was still there.
Velm it doesn't show me "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" so I'll asume I don't have an IEEE 1394 controller.

Level 15
Seems I forgot to refer I have already tried replacing the PSU with a friend's PSU and the problem was still there.
Velm it doesn't show me "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" so I'll asume I don't have an IEEE 1394 controller.

Anything similar on the devices list?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Not all PSU/Motherboards offer fan control as a device.

It could quite literally be a fail safe as the fan controller on the motherboard has died so they are always running at 100%. Do they ever slow down when the computer is at low load (when they are not needed at full speed as the computer uses less power)?

Originally Posted by andreasaspenberg View Post

the power supply needs cooling even when the pc is off or else it will overheat.

My old pc melted due to overheating when not turned on :(

Now I use a separate fan to cool my current pc when turned off :)
For both your interests... Yes your PSU can burn out when the computer is not running. However it should not require active cooling when not running as it will be switched into standby power mode which only consumes a few watts at most (usually less, passive cooling is more than sufficient).

So how did your PSU burn out? Well just because it is off does not mean it is not energized. So you can start the computer it must always keep the motherboard energized which means some mains power must flow (usually Watt or less in standby mode). To convert from the 240V 50/60 Hz mains to a low usable voltage it passes the current through large electrolytic capacitors which serve to help make the device emission friendly (decouple bad digital noise from mains) and keep it running when under high power load (how your computer can keep running when the lights dim for a moment). The obvious problem, however, is the same as CRT TVs suffered from. Electrolytic capacitors suffer rather bad failures which can result in high temperatures, hazardous smoke, fires or even minor explosions. Although a standard PC PSU is not as bad as a CRT and there are safety measures such as the metal shielding case, it still does not stop it from happening from time to time. I have personally experienced at least 2 PSUs dying, one as recent as last year and each has various symptoms from an alarming smell to horrific noise. They usually fail when turning into active mode as that turns on all the high current circuitry.

However these failures are rare and mostly safe thanks to their design (especially in big cases that are well ventilated). Problems start when you use them outside their operating conditions. These include letting them overheat (dust or ambient temperature), incorrect operating voltage (voltage surges from lightning, imbalanced phases from poor power infrastructure, incorrect mains voltage (not supported by PSU)) or overload (hardware fault, short circuit, etc). Under these conditions the PSU might be more likely to fail.

Anyway back on topic. I do remember having a similar problem to the topic creator except inverted (the PC did not boot but all the fans started if I started the PC while still shutting off). I have not had this since I changed the PSU but I think you ruled this out by changing it already. Check the motherboard specifications and make sure the fan controllers are wired correctly.

Level 15
You mean hidden?
EDIT:Yeah I have installed every driver that came with the CD
Check if you can find any device with "bus controller" in the name.

You can also attempt the CMOS reset I suggested before, by removing the CMOs battery for about 5 minutes.

Level 7
@Dr Super Good while having a game firefox and music playing fans started working more.
The problem as I mentioned before started about a week ago can the fan controllers be not wired properly?
@Velm nothing that has bus controller

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
@Dr Super Good while having a game firefox and music playing fans started working more.
The problem as I mentioned before started about a week ago can the fan controllers be not wired properly?
Very strange. The fact the fans are still running might indicate that the PSU is never turned into standby mode (a failure with the coms to the motherboard)? This would explain why it persists between PSUs as the substitute is still not being turned into standby mode when the computer shuts off.

Level 15
Motherboard has power even when the PC is turned off. My MOBO has a green LED light that is on when it has power, regardless of the state of the PC.

Try resetting the BIOS to stock settings and CMOS. If that fails, well, then Im out of ideas.

Replacing your motherboard should be a last resort. Though LGA775 mobos should be available from manufacturers such as Biostar and ASrock, since MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte discontinued those.

Last edited:
Level 22
Try looking for a BIOS option (about fans I guess?), I've tried googling it and I found on an ASUStek forum that a BIOS update adds a BIOS setting. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.