• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gods and Empires- CITY building/RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I had free time last night to work on the map..I reworked the citizen creation a bit.It now goes this way>Upon finishing construction of houses it would have a skill Settle residents.When used,a random male or female citizen would be created.(no children this time).Each house can only support a certain number of residents.
Birth rate and Population-Male citizens have skill Breed which when cast on female citizens impregnate them.After some time the pregnant female citizen gives birth to a random child type.There is a chance that the child would be sickly or it dying upon birth or the mother dying or on some occasions both dying.Chance of survival increases relative to the hp of the mother.I have a system that randomly selects a male citizen and automatically cast it on a random female citizen; if a player wishes to control birth rate it could be turn ON/OFF at the Town hall.If the player cast the spell on an allied female,there is a 50% chance that the ownership of the child would be given to that ally.
Next on the to do list is to rework the conscription system.Then the food delivery system from the food producing buildings to the market.The market to houses food system is done.

Level 9
No I won't be changing the genre,it will still be medieval fantasy/steam punk.

Progress report>
•about the pregnancy thingy,I simplified it.No more dying mothers and babies,just plain creation of a child after x time.Instead there's a small chance that the mother would give birth to twins and on rare occasions triplets.
•Settling residents for each house costs 50 gold each.The children over time turn into adult citizens,this has no cost but the process takes a while.You can at any time order a male citizen to breed with a female,the skill has a cooldown though.
•As of this post I'm working on the systems for the need for housing,faith and food and also the conscription.Things like penalties for not providing sufficient food for every household.(death,sickness,revolt etc.)

Level 20
Sooorry not been on much again (¬,¬) just noticed the email about you asking to take the helm, sorry :(

But thats a good idea with the crossover to sc2... it would be better in every way but the resource limitations (lack of models for fantasy, at least for a while)!

EDIT: Will the breed skill you mention be auto-casting, that would be epic! Real-Time, auto breeding civilians :)

Level 9
Yup the breed skill is automatic but you can also use it at any time,it has a cooldown though.If you think your citizen's population is growing at a fast rate you could simply turn it off at your townhall and turn it on later.

Level 9
Updates:
•Townhalls have an Influence area,houses can only be built within this spot(this gives importance to good planning of city layout)..When your townhall upgrades this area increases.You could now build multiple Townhalls..
•Roads need to be built within another road(except for the 1st road you gonna build).
•Breeding skill has a chance not to impregnate a female target unit.
•At the start of the game every player would be given a choice on the composition of his starting units..1 builder + 3 more in any combination of the following-builder,male citizen,female citizen,scout,lumberjack,miner,..

Still working on>
•delivery system of resources
•conscription sytem
•taxing and influence points system
•weather and disaster system
•unit veterancy and "stamana system"
•a ton of other things G & E..

Level 9
Now how about that alpha test?
Things didn't go well as planned...Personal problems came my way so I really have to deal with it first..But things are coming back to normal recently so I was able to work on the map again..I know I owe you guys the alpha so I might just post an unfinished version once I'm able to make the important triggers work..

Level 6
cannon.jpg

DIE EXAMS! DIE PERSONAL PROBLEMS! DIE BOOM AHHHHHH!
i really hope this pans out well, this seems like an awsome game.

Level 9
Any more updates or news of your progress Pangahas???

Well atm I'm still working on the food and resource system.The fishing system works ok now,just have to modify it a bit for the other food and resources plus the auto delivery of it on markets and your stockpile.That and also the system for penalties of insufficient needs..

Level 9
I was thinking of posting an unfinished version this weekend, it wont have most of the planned systems, and in fact would only allow 1 player to test.But the basic systems like buildings needing to be near another building,settlng residents, would be present..Its not even qualified to be an alpha version, but then I just would like you guys to atleast have a feel of how things would work.When i get home tonight I would attach the map..:)

Level 9
Just got home..On a different version I already did the food gathering system for the planted food types but it causes lag..I might just use the triggers that I have for the fishing system and modify it.But on the unfinished version, the food delivery of the markets to houses within its range is now functional, every house within its range would receive food equal to the residents it has..Will attach the map in a while..

Level 20
Just got home..On a different version I already did the food gathering system for the planted food types but it causes lag..I might just use the triggers that I have for the fishing system and modify it.But on the unfinished version, the food delivery of the markets to houses within its range is now functional, every house within its range would receive food equal to the residents it has..Will attach the map in a while..

Awesome, can't wait to give it a whirl :xxd:

I assume you'll protect it?

Level 9

NOTE: The only available slot is for player 1 so create the map via single player..Again I'd like to stress out that this is an unfinished version, it doesn't even have the starting option triggers and most of the planned systems so technically it's not yet playable..Anyways,Ok guys here you go..

attachment transferred to first page...

Last edited:
Level 20
Fantastic, just giving it a spin now - will post feedback in a while ;)

EDIT: Ok i've tested it!

First some neutral questions:

-> Were you supposed to be able to deliver/sell fish? I couldn't work out - I'm assuming that just wasn't part of the demo

-> Two again were we not allowed to build/use 'wheat fields?'

The BAD:

Fish fly (zoom in the middle mouse wheel and you will see they are about 4 feet/1.2m above the water) :)

I had control of two fish schools, was this intentional + golem killed one of them :O

When I built houses (I built two) one has the ability to 'settle citizens' the other doesn't, is this a bug?

Tax income is waaaaaay to long, I had to use gold cheat to try out all buildings...

Some tooltips, all in the citizen building I think - were messed up - you had about 5 'scout towers' that were actually wheat, obelisk, lamp etc...

The GOOD:

Fishing system is pretty awesome, would be nice if boat automatically returned fish to dock/fishermans hut when full though.

The breed system is undeniably funny and realistic, I like how the villagers even go inside their houses now and again - makes it that much more realistic.

Nice use of buildings, they all fit really well, especially good call with the stables and 'riderless horses'.

The road systems seems to work great (build near roads).

SUGGESTIONS: I'm not acutally sure if it's possible but could you make citizens have default breed auto-casting? I always forgot and only had 25% of them breeding.

I assume there is some kind of reason for the mill/town hall massive circles - what is it?!

Quicker income

Swimming Fish

Everything else looked grand, I mean it isn't really even an alpha after all so alot of those points are just reminders if anything...

The terrain is fantastic it is wide, open spaced (very important), varied and yet still good to look at!

Keep it up! +Rep (When it lets me...)

Last edited:
Level 27
Okay, sometimes when town hall casts that cancel breeding thing, it moves away (teleporting town hall?).
When you catch the fish, it sometimes respawns as controlled by you!
Also I just tough that it would be much better if you could sent your citizen limit to how much they can/can't bread, not just allow/forbid them, but set max number of allowed... errr... breeds.

Level 20
Okay, sometimes when town hall casts that cancel breeding thing, it moves away (teleporting town hall?).
When you catch the fish, it sometimes respawns as controlled by you!
Also I just tough that it would be much better if you could sent your citizen limit to how much they can/can't bread, not just allow/forbid them, but set max number of allowed... errr... breeds.

Wow, yeh that's a good idea!

So Pangahas you could have a -'chat' command

Like -Breed Limit "100" and set a variable to something, and make breeding trigger check it...

Level 27
Or you can make a limit toggleable in town hall... you know, you click on an item in town hall and the limit increases/decreases.
Oh, it was not the breed spell's fault, it was when you cancel the upgrade of the town hall... also it seems that breeding system works fine, housing is great too but it lags when you try to... how isd that ability to create a cityzen called? Oh, also once I managed to make so one building would have more than 4 population... weird...

Level 12
That was... awfully strange. If you didn't modified the original default human, I would be able to do footmans and gryphons. I think. Also, I didn't know how to get wheat. I could catch fish, but I couldn't deliver them. And most buildings did not have a use (but will have one later on... I think.) Some tooltips are wrong (Roar on farm) some size units are wrong (farmer and builder) and born citizens do not count as established citizens. Income takes too long to deliver, and when I choose any another unit that is not the builder the camera zooms.

Edit: Forgot mentioning one important thing. Roads are strange, because they occupy more tiles that they show (visually. When you choose the place of the road, it shows the extra tiles. Well, it is bad for me to organize if there is a random invisible tile taken by the road.)

Level 9
Oops take it easy guys one at a time..hehe..First of all I did mentioned that it would not be polished and small details like wrong icons and descriptions are basically because Im not focusing on them right now I think those can be done later on once the systems are finalized. Now To answer the questions>

Grey Nightmare
•The fishing trigger is only halfway done, with the unfinished version I disabled the auto delivery of the fishes to the hut.The whole system goes like this>once the caught fishes reaches a certain amount(this varies depending on the type of boat & upgrades it has) the fishing boat would deliver them to the fisherman's hut.I disabled the delivery system because I would still modify it once I figure out the food gathering system for the other food types and resources.
•The citizens that have build wheat were supposed to be removed because I decided that the wheat would not be planted individually like in the old video but instead whenever you build a farm the field around it would be automatically filled with wheat plants.When they wither or when you depleted them the farm has a skill that would automatically fill up the field with wheat plants(this can only be cast once a day,and at daytime)
•The fishes, I for got to change the movement type back and also I think I forgot to change the ownership of a couple fishes that I placed before I attach the map.Again this things could be easily be edited atm I'm more focused on getting the right triggers to work as they're supposed to.
•The houses with no settle citizen- The first house that you would build would not have that skill but would have the item that indicates the number of residents it currently houses.The "pioneer house" has 4 settled residents which is in fact is the number of starting units you'll have in the beginning.The next houses you'll build should have the skill.For every citizen you'll spawn +1 would be added to the resident indicator of random house that you own as long has it has less than residents than it can house.
•The systems for taxing is not yet operational,the timer at the top is only a trial..
•Citizen buildings having scout towers as icon-Well again this are the minor things that I left unedited,I was just lazy to come back at those atm since I'm particularly busy trying to make the major systems to work as they should be.
•As for the breeding system I'm yet to determine the middle ground for that,I mean the frequency of casting the spell..
•Ah the massive circles-I thought nobody would ask>Those are basically indicators.For the townhalls it indicates the influence area,you could only build houses and certain buildings within that circle.The Area conversely increases as you upgrade to the next city status(via upgrade that would only be available when you reach a certain average happiness/satisfaction rating of all your houses).For the granary/mill the circle indicates the specified area where you could only build farms,And also if you notice when you click the granary the farms turns red its because they don't have food stock,those who have turns green.

tleno
•Teleporting townhall? I guess it has something to do with a trigger I erased prior to posting,I might have missed a trigger or two,gonna check it out.That or maybe because of conflicts in the custom spells gonna double check it out.
Oh so it's not the breed spell,again I think its because of conflicts of those custom spells I might have used the same base spell on those.It lags I think because I based it off windwalk,gonna change it actually I just forgot to.
•Limiting of breeding-I would consider this once I finalized the food costs of units.

Sasuhkun

•footmen? on the barracks I suppose I forgot to remove the units trained of the custom buildings.
•Getting wheat?> The original triggers for getting wheat were disabled so you couldn't really harvest them atm,the trigger that I have then was causing tremendous lag so I decided to just reuse the trigger that I have for the fish gathering and modify it.
•Tooltips on the farm are deliberately wrong,again I was more focused on the major triggers that I forgot to edit those small details.
•There are no functional tax triggers yet,the timer was a trial counter.
•The farmer that could be trained on the farms aren't supposed to be seen in game coz once the training finishes it would be removed and be replaced by one of your citizens,something like that..I'm still having problems with the conscription system that I have so I left that out atm.
•Camera views>builders have higher camera views,normal units are at default view,pressing up arrow key zooms out your view(top down).Pressing esc resets view to default.
•Roads-Try as I may sometimes they really spawn off center,I don't know why maybe because of the pathing that I gave it and the model.

Phew that was long hehe..Anyways thanks for trying it out,as you can see its complicated as hell to do,just too many things to consider too many things to adjust etc.I hope it turns out well as it should be..I'll try to tweak everything first so that the next one would actually be playable.

Level 20
Wow - you actually had a valid answer to everything :) That's a brilliant sign.

It's ok as well - this wasn't a planned release, you've done what a lot of other mappers would wet themselves over, you've risked your map's fanbase with an unfinished version - just because we asked for one, this shows you have a great sense of responsibilty to your fans - which is more than ALOT of mappers can say - "Win the crowd".

Level 9
Or you can make a limit toggleable in town hall... you know, you click on an item in town hall and the limit increases/decreases.
Oh, it was not the breed spell's fault, it was when you cancel the upgrade of the town hall... also it seems that breeding system works fine, housing is great too but it lags when you try to... how isd that ability to create a cityzen called? Oh, also once I managed to make so one building would have more than 4 population... weird...

I think the reason why the townhall seems to teleport because I made the upgraded townhall's scaling larger. Yeah the settle residents skill lags,I would just replace the custom spell I based it on and also I forgot to change the file path of the custom icons,it still turns green.Anyways, I'll try to tweak and tidy up everything come next version hopefully a playable and a more complete one.:thumbs_up:

Level 9
Well while I'm trying to tweak triggers,next on the to do list would be the details of unit,spells,upgrades those kind of things(especially the GODS' powers)..And also I was thinking of making the units cost less resources and produce faster,in contrast to the economy/city building stuff where micromanaging and planning is required I want the melee part of the game play fast.

Level 20
I was thinking of making the units cost less resources and produce faster,in contrast to the economy/city building stuff where micromanaging and planning is required I want the melee part of the game play fast.

Yeah, also you should make so early game attacks with army wouldn't be effective so people wouldn't start any rush attacks...

Reminds me of a map I once worked on... i'll have a root around in my jungle of map folders D:

The combat was basically similar to the Total War games if anyone has ever played them?

Each unit has very few hitpoints and relatively low damage; like 20hp and 1-3dmg (can't remember of top of my head) and each unit has evasion/critical hit chances which increase as it kills.. I think the best way is for me to send you the map 'P'. Seriously, I don't think you'll be disappointed - I can see it working really well! It's surprisingly fast but also allows for 'expierienced' armies to gain an advantage but not a 'unbeatable' status, which would really fit well with the whole:

Empires/Supply Lines/Campaign thingy..

EDIT: Ok, so I rooted through my ol' laptops map folders and found some interesting stuff (including the aforementioned map) I will add them to the pastebin and send you a link pangahas ;)

EDIT2: sent you a pm with link

Last edited:
Level 20
^Bump

Been thinking about the god powers, upgrades etc...

We have god favour don't we?

At the moment we plan to make god's playable (for a certain amount of time).

I'm thinking this perhaps isn't such a great idea... it might distract from the empire building kind of things as you kick ass with the god :p

So I thought what about having a triggered AI system for the gods?

So if civilizations get enough 'favour' they can 'cash in' so much favour and request something from the god like: 'Heal My Men', 'Change The Weather Here (helps against drout (enviromental effect/lack of wheat etc..) or archer accuracy(if we get that complicated)' or 'Crush The Heathens (looks at an enemy empire and if your favour is so much higher than their's you can persuade him to attack them/make a tornado hit etc...)

Obviously as you request stuff your favour will go down and because there are many gods and civilizations share them... it would be quite amusing to see your farm scorched by a god who 30mins ago had blessed it's growth, whadda ya think?

:p

Level 20
I think the 'original' idea was to actually have both god powers in AOM that generally affect a large area or have 'passive/summoning' effects and to eventually (given enough 'favour') be able to summon and control a god unit, who would have another selection of more 'specific/target' spells.

E.g. of temple/AOM spell: Make it rain

E.g. Of same God's unit spell: 'Hail' Small AOE spell, similar to blizzard (but more powerful... god like).

Status
Not open for further replies.