• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Gmax or Milkshape

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me put it in this way

MS costs money, Gmax doesn't
MS has like 4 mesh editing tools, gmax has WAY more.
MS has very low animation capabilities, GMAX has curve editors, all the controllers and even has IK.
MS doesn't support objects like lights, attachments, particle emitters, etc, GMAX does.
Gmax has been based on 3dsmax 4, which is the exact version for which Art Tools were made of.

I personally think MS is the biggest waste of cash, but since there are very few Gmax animation tutorials, people give up fast and go to that crap called MS.

Level 8
it should depend on what your looking to do:

ms3d- good for making simple to complicated models ( if done correctly) but can only do basic animations and can only use triangles not quads. ( ive hit around 8-10k of polies before it crashed)

gmax: has some errors and can be a pain with exporting but has many features and can be a good start off point if you want a modelling career and want to be using 3dsmax in the future (not sure about the limit)

Level 30
My last 3 unit models were made in milkshape.
Milkshape kinda pwns gmax...
gmax is like "wannabe pro" so you kinda have got to know all the therms and such...
Milkshape is simple and easier to use than Gmax or 3dsMax ... Gmax is probably better than milkshape though (3dsmax is) ... but milkshape is like ... an awesome lowpolymodelling tool and it doesn't ask much knowledge.
I guess I'll go for 3dsmax to make more complicated models one day.... but not quite yet.

My last 3 unit models were made in milkshape.
Milkshape kinda pwns gmax...
gmax is like "wannabe pro" so you kinda have got to know all the therms and such...
Milkshape is simple and easier to use than Gmax or 3dsMax ... Gmax is probably better than milkshape though (3dsmax is) ... but milkshape is like ... an awesome lowpolymodelling tool and it doesn't ask much knowledge.
I guess I'll go for 3dsmax to make more complicated models one day.... but not quite yet.

lol, sorry but it's really funny. Milkshape is simple because it lacks almost every good tool. All that gmax lacks is tutorials, the rest is piece of cake in gmax. I doubt learning how to use gmax takes more than 30 minutes, the system is quite simple, perhaps when I finish my animation tutorial, I'll make a gmax tutorial.

As an extra note: I just discovered how to skin in gmax without using envelopes.

gmax can't export animations properly.

Just scour the internet for 3ds max 5. Might be a bit hard but it's the best tool for WC3 modeling.

Although personally I prefer 3ds max 2k9 since it's newer and generally better than ancient max5.

May I prove you wrong? :D.

I just made it export correctly, I'll add soon a plugin to NeoDex to make Skinning easier.

Level 8
i think pyritie was saying that it doesnt export animations properly a 100% all the time

ms3d wasnt made to be complicated, it was made for low poly models and animating in it is pretty straight forward compared to gmax/3dsmax with allows a wider variety of different tools and animating more smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.