• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gideon - Wrath Of The Olds Ones I

Gideon - Wrath of the Old Ones: Chapter One

The Story
In the world of Argoran, humanity has been stretched thin. Constant wars and near endless plagues have left the world in shambles. Where once stood great castles lie wasted ruins, where once stood mighty towers lays only scorched earth. Few great cities remain. Orcs and humans, in the interest of only self-preservation, have entered a fragile peace agreement in the hope that they'll be able to avoid extinction. A worldwide organization known as "The Peacekeepers" tries desperately to keep order. Your story takes place in the wastes. Once a thriving territory known for it's great trees and vast agriculture, the wasteland was torn asunder when it was taken over by the Orcish Horde. By the time the Human Alliance had retaken it, the Orcs had stripped it dry. The waters were toxic, the agriculture was non existent, and the air was unbreathable. The miserable condition in lies in now is consider an improvement. Most of the surviving civilized pocket of the human society that populated the area hide in Blister Canyon, a closed off enclave protected by it's massive stone walls. Outside, bandit and mercenary tribes fight an endless war for control of the wasted and broken land.

You are Arthur Lightbron, a young man from the town of Harkfort. A merchant town in Blister Canyon, one of only two - the other being a settlement called Shillington. Suspiciously, the town of Shillington has gone rather silent, and it couldn't have done so at a worse time, considering the town of Harkfort is running out of clean water. Your story starts with a simple request from your uncle, Reems Sandford.

Gameplay
This an RPG map akin to the Rexxar Campaign or Diablo 2. You will control a single hero unit and fight your way through waves of dangerous enemies. You will find items, earn experience and level up along the way. Initially you'll fight easy enemies such as Gnolls and Bandits, but eventually you'll work your way up to tougher enemies like Ogres an the Undead. Keep your wits about you, because death in this map is permanent. If you die, it's game over.

Features
- RPG Style Combat
- RPG Style Weapons and Armor
- Max Level Increased to 11
- Bonus Hero: The fantastic Pandaren Brewmaster!
- Health and Mana orbs to quickly regenerate health without taking up inventory slots

Notes

Fixes and Changes:

- QUEST LOGS ADDED! No more wandering around in the dark!
- Max level reduced to 11
- Attribute Bonus nerfed to only one level
- Second-to-last Boss buffed. Abilities improved and level increased.
- Bastard Scythe cooldown time increased
- New secondary hero added! Look in the Goblin town for the Zhao Ki Chung, the pandaren brewmaster!
- The secret merchant will no longer talk your head off every time you show up to buy things from him.

- Conversations will no longer repeat constantly.
- XP rate have been sightly nerfed.
- Mid and High tier items are now more expensive.
- The Gatekeeper will no longer lavish you in gems. He found out what you were doing with them and his feelings are very hurt.
- The invisible killer in every single scene has been sent to a mental institution in Milwaukee. There is no longer need to worry about him stabbing you and eating your eyes.
- The erotic "hot coffee" easter egg has been removed in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Charles Barkley's super secret cameo you couldn't find has been removed, as he has withdrawn support from this map.
- The glitch where Magnus Gideon has a two hour conversation with the player about his favorite Marmaduke and Heathciff strips has been fixed.
- This map is no longer sentient, and it's psychic powers are gone. It will no longer read your mind and tell the people you know awful, awful things about you that you really don't want them to know.
- There weren't enough glitches/changes to justify a really long changelog, so I filled this with unfunny jokes.

Screenshots:

etYRVZw.png

VsfZSHw.png

82ZQzQo.png

Credits:

Level Designer, Head Writer, Beta Tester and Caterer:
Homor

Models:
Abomination Overlord - SuPa-
Arch Necromancer - Kitabatake
Bandit Champion - Sweet Oblivion
D2 Iron Wolf - GreyArchon
Goblin Gunner - Tiberius_XXVII
Goblin Merchant - Iron_Ian
Gnome Mage - Norinrad
Hero Reveller - Vermillion Edict
Orb of Fire - Frankster
Orb of Water - Frankster
Peasant Paladin - Sweet Oblivion
Wall - !!GORO!!
WC1 Mage - Mc !
Worgen General - Sellenisko
Weapon Merchant - darkdeathknight

Icons:
Battery Armor - The_Silent
Holy Sword - Golden-Drake
Chest Plate - Blizzard Entertainment
Scythe - Raging Ent
Simple Sword - Furby
Wooden Armor Tier 1 - NFWar
Wooden Armor Tier 2 - Devine
Worgen Hero - NFWar

This an RPG map akin to the Rexxar Campaign. Consider this the "pilot episode" for what could be a setting/campaign/storyline whatever. Note that it's a rather self-contained story and you can play the map completely on it's own, but it leaves open a lot of room for further maps.

Keywords:
RPG, Adventure, Gideon, Warcraft, Fantasy, Original, Bandits
Contents

Gideon - Wrath Of The Olds Ones I (Map)

Reviews
15:49, 7th May 2015 Orcnet: Krolan's review: LINK
Level 23
I dunno about self-contained, that sequel hook is pretty brazen. :ogre_hurrhurr:

You probably want to look at the creep experience and bounty rates -- I had comfortably hit level 15 long before Coheed dropped that Tome of Power, and had a phenomenal amounts of money. (Black Market man had nothing on me before I'd even found the goblin town to buy middling kit.)

Could also have done cinematic mode during conversations, I accidentally reselected people when they were still talking and got the conversation running twice several times. I'm not saying you need to go nuts, but letterbox mode and a few camera angles would go down nicely.

The lack of a quest log was also a bit off-putting.

Otherwise, though, not bad. :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 30
The map pretty much needs work to me. I also agree to all of what Rao Dao Zao and knowing he is a great map maker in my own opinion.

It is quite easy to get lost in this game because it lacks a quest log where quests are stored. I also had the issues of having to talked to NPC twice and thus which makes the conversation a disaster. Better turn on Cinematic Mode or Letter Box mode.

Also, there is a Bandit that gives a Gem of True Sight when entering a place full of Bandits, I clicked him twice and I just got myself 2 Gems which has a sell rate of 100 each gems. You should fix this because I can make easy money by clicking on him many times and getting gems that many times.

I did not play after that due to this small bugs and it also lacks enjoyable contents in it.

Level 18
@Hell_Master: I was worried if I used letterbox mode it would get really annoying, cutting to cinematic for every conversation. Of course, I guess repeating conversations are annoying in their own right. Still, I figured it really wouldn't be a problem because it's so easy to avoid if you know it can happen.

Of course, the way you can exploit the Guardsman's kindness and get like 100 gems is a pretty big deal. I'll do what I can to prevent that.

The fact that you didn't play it all the way through disappoints me. For multiple reasons.

Level 30
@Hell_Master: I was worried if I used letterbox mode it would get really annoying, cutting to cinematic for every conversation. Of course, I guess repeating conversations are annoying in their own right. Still, I figured it really wouldn't be a problem because it's so easy to avoid if you know it can happen.

Of course, the way you can exploit the Guardsman's kindness and get like 100 gems is a pretty big deal. I'll do what I can to prevent that.

The fact that you didn't play it all the way through disappoints me. For multiple reasons.

Actually, I planned to continue it. I'll just give a review later about this.

Level 10
Can you... add screenshots please? I lost my Warcraft III, now I'm stuck in the rug with nothing to do. I want to view this from screenshots, because it interested me.

Level 30
Some problems I checked on the game:

-I can kill anyone, including quest givers and my 'stash' like ward unit. It would be better if you give them the invulnerable ability or a trigger that cancel out the attack on allied/passive units

-Quests are irritating once you accidentally click the giver, I suggest if the player should be atleast near the region of the quest giver its more accurate looking

-Dialogue scene is a waste, plus it pauses my screen not the game itself, how about give the dialogue a -command where when pressed it would skip the dialogue scene and ditch the pause screen idea, pause the game statement is more fine.

-skills are based on default heroes, can't you give them something more different?

that for now, I wouldn't say more about terrain, plot or so but this are just the main stuff that needs fixing, plus what Ra Dao Zao said above.

EDIT: vm me for update.

Level 18
Some problems I checked on the game:
-Quests are irritating once you accidentally click the giver, I suggest if the player should be atleast near the region of the quest giver its more accurate looking

Could you rephrase that please? I don't quite understand. Are you saying the the player should be near the quest giver before speaking to them?

Some other thoughts:

1. You CANNOT kill quests givers. All vital storyline NPCs are invulnerable. I don't really believe in restricting the player by not letting them kill civilians, but if that's enough of a problem to contribute to the map getting rejected I'm more than happy to fix it.

2. I'll replace the "disable user control" trigger with "pause all units." Would that work?

3. I really like default hero skills, I don't really think that's a problem. If you do, what would you suggest?

Level 30
Are you saying the the player should be near the quest giver before speaking to them?

Yes then the dialogue scene would start. however:

-Dialogue scene is a waste, plus it pauses my screen not the game itself, how about give the dialogue a -command where when pressed it would skip the dialogue scene and ditch the pause screen idea, pause the game statement is more fine.

I guess invulnerable ability to the said allies would suffice, strangely killing your storage like box is not a good route, especially killing villages via GTA-style.

I'll replace the "disable user control" trigger with "pause all units." Would that work?

There's also an option where a dialogue scene takes place but won't interfere with the player's movements, like what the campaigns usually do.

I really like default hero skills, I don't really think that's a problem. If you do, what would you suggest?

Alternate there damage status or acquiring neutral hostile's list of spells that can be customize for hero abilities (e.g Frenzy, Monsoon)

Level 5
Well, I played it. To the end, mind you.

Gameplay - [+]
Story - [++]
Characters (+NPC) - [++]
Graphics - [+]
Discovery - [++]
Originality - [+]
Quests - [+]
Layout - [++]
Items - [++]
Bugs - [+++]

An overall very good basic storydriven RPG-Map. I can't actually imagine why this would be rejected.

4/5 - Vote for Approval

Full Review

Final Suggestions:

1. If you loose the Mana and Life Orbs the player would have to consider actually buying potions.
2. If you include more sidequests to be found in different locations of the map the player would have more fun. But don't force it if you're out of ideas for this map.
3. If you include some buildings that spawn enemies once some are dead (especially at the end with the undead) the player would have to keep his cool and destroy these ASAP.
4. If you include a bigger variety of items the player could choose his play style more easily. As it is you're forced to go all defense. I however decided to use those furbolg summoning stones but found the enemy to be too weak to handle smart moves like that, so...
5. Consider making the enemies slightly stronger/more skillful

Overall I had fun playing through this map and am off to Part 2.

Last edited:
Level 18
I think the biggest thing this map has going for it right now is the fact that it's hard to find/tell who exactly you're supposed to talk to. I think a simple "Exclamation Point over the head" system would fix that pretty easily. I'll also try to work on the GTA-style civilian killing, see if it's a good idea to keep the player from doing that.

Level 18
Map approved now, to give more information and story behind Part 2 and Part 3, my apologize for the rejection from some point in time.

Thank you so much, OrcNet! This is a huge validation for me. I was pretty bummed when this map got rejected the first time around and I'm so happy it's approved now. Especially since this means people who missed out on the first part will finally be able to get the full story.

Thank you so much, OrcNet. And a big thank you to all of the HiveWorkshop staff!

Level 20
Well i really enjoyed the plot.

One thing that kinda left me...Meh...It was the terrain it kinda felt empty and way to...
equable i think that terrain could use some work...

Something else that left wha...Was the fact that we gather all that help for the town and not a single Mercenary nor Goblin show's up there.Townfolks diden't even try to fortify the town no guards patrolling inside/outside the town either...I think you should have added this minor stuff.

Gameplay wise...It was kinda boring...

Hero stats need some tweaking he becomes really frikin op after a while.(You might have not touched the stats maybe cuz of the way you chose to make the gameplay of the map)

At least the map had some humore in it :p

I really enjoyed the story but in the other aspects it needs some work

Level 2
Finished it today and wow! Such a great game!

Well, to be honest, I thought the start was really boring, because 'every simple RPG made with the Editor needs to have a beginning like that (kill-level up-kill-level up)'.

But as the hero levels up, the story starts to be much more interesting. And at the end, it finally caught my attention. It has a well made story, anyway :D