• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaia's Retaliation ORPG might get revived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Okay, now before you burst out into happiness, I want to dampen your enthusiasm: I am not going to do this on my own. I almost did the 1.1 version of Gaias on my own at the end and that was one of the main reasons I quit developing it.

What I am looking for are new promising team members which are able to take over all the tedious parts of the map design I am so sick of:
I am looking for an item designer and an NPC/mob/quest designer.
I would concentrate on doing the stuff that is fun for me: Terraining and scripting spells.

These are the requirements:
The item designer should have great knowledge of the map and a good feel for balance. Also, he should be able to select and implement the required attachment models.
Also, he should have a very basic understanding of vJASS, to make use of the registry functions of Gaias Retaliation.

The NPC/mob/quest designer should have good knowledge of vJASS and should have a certain level of creativity. He should also be able to write proper medieval english.

As soon as I have gathered a team I consider helpful, I will start debugging some of the main issues of the map.

One of the main things that I am going to change for a possible continueing project, is, that all new content will be put into a seperate maps. With the players reaching the capital of Ankhmaron as a general hub, I feel like its time to dedicate each new area an entire, fresh map.
This will serve multiple purposes:
1) It will heavily decrease the hardware requirements of the map
2) It allows me to use a greater variation of tiles
3) It allows me to use new models and imports and even new custom music. You might see a revival of the old battle theme again, because of that.

Last edited:
Level 4
There you go zwieb this is exactly what i was telling everybody like Ragos orpg or something have the main map and have different maps for different reasons its alot easier.

Please map makers help him out! check in clans on USEast zwieb theres alot of map making clans, clan MMU is filled with em too

Level 2
This like a dream come true!

Me and two of my friends found Gaia after playing alot of different Rpgs like Dark Invasion I & II, The Black Road 1.23 and the Newer version also. None of those maps really had "That" But then I was browsing all over Epicwar and then Hiveworkshop came into mind and I looked at the top20 maps and found Gaia there so i downloaded it and gave it a try. It took us 5 minutes of gametime to realize that we loved everything about it. It had "that" thing that we were looking for on a Rpg.

Some things that are really great;

The Agro system, It really works and it works good.
Resting, Why doesnt other Rpg's have a rest system? Just love it.
The terrain. It speaks for itself, It's stunning and well designed, When we first entered the Bandit cave we were all "Wow, Omg" on Skype.
And the spells, Really love all the spells ive tested (though only played as the Magician/sorcerer and Thief.)

Then when we were around 30'ish in level we found out that the project was being canceled. We still had D2 and D3 to complete (yea we never tried D2 since we were busy farming different bosses to get items for our characters ^^,) Our passion for the game died and we all got sad since we had so much fun playing this RPG, Running around doing pointless things. Having fun with trying to pull agro from the tank and end up dying and having the cleric ress us, Working our way up to be able to kill the D1 final boss after many trial and errors, It all gave us a good time and we loved it.

I really, really hope you will get a team so this map can be continued. Not just for my and my friends, For everyone who has sometime played this map and loves it. I just wish i had some experience with map making, I wouldn't hesitate one second to help you out, But sadly im just a novice when it comes to this. I can open the map editor and look around some, thats about it. =(

However, If you do need a "quest writer" Someone who just writes plain quests into words that someone else can put in-game Id be happy to help out!

Hope this post wasn't to long ^^,
With regards, Elvarion

Long live Gaia!

Level 1
I may have a friend who might be able to assist, I myself know nothing, but if there's anyway I can contribute give us a shout.

Level 10
I would love to help you continue the project, but I simply just do not have the time I wish I did. Maybe you should sticky this thread to help people notice it better and keep it at top.

Level 2
Not everyone likes to do a complete map themself, Its not wrong to ask for a Team and then everyone do what they do best.

Level 18
Hmmm i dont think its wurth to revive it don't get me wrong their will be people playing it but the problem is that imo Warcraft III bnet is dying and all they play is dota or som normal games now if you would've have done this 4 years ago things would've been different but right now i dont think its wise to revive it.

Level 51
Hmmm i dont think its wurth to revive it don't get me wrong their will be people playing it but the problem is that imo Warcraft III bnet is dying and all they play is dota or som normal games now if you would've have done this 4 years ago things would've been different but right now i dont think its wise to revive it.

What the hell are you talking about? Mapping is for fun, and jeah, you might be right, b.net is maybe dying, but there will always be people (like me) that will not switch to starcraft 2 (at least, not in the next time). Just because not so many guys would play it anymore, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be revived. :ogre_frown:

Level 5
There are more than 300000 people playing on Garena so...
However there was a game called Operation Flashpoint which had been modded gazillions of time and people are still playing it nowadays.

Level 2
ya umm i have a question, i liked the armor/damage reduction system that you have... how exactly did u make the armor system? stone skin that stacked? triggering every item? setting item's custom values? using their health values? i see a number of ways to do it but i wanted to see what u did yourself, and i am making an rpg quite like gaias but different in my own ways, if ud like i can email u a copy and get your opinion on it etc

Level 2
and just simply dont put any value into dr. houses words so far all of his posts iv read have been almost pure trolling or making excuses to put someone down... shame that someone who likes such a great show would be such a DB. And if you are looking for help still after i finish my rpg i would love to help you continue it.

Level 30
Try Adding more fresh systems within the game, basic items that are cheap, and more bosses! more like 10-15 unique boss raids. I mean the game ends when all of the storyline is complete, right? how bout make challenges or mini-games inside the game to fulfill entertainment to players, since I've seen a lot of clans that is playing your game. you should try making more changes. well this is just a suggestion, hopefully, you and your newly-acquired development team is up to the task to move this project into an upper level to gain a better, role-playing game experience.

good luck at finding those people your looking for, and good luck for the new updates! :ap:

Level 4
muzzel said lopaki/robbepop were looking for a new project or something? gotta find some mapmakers pretty much 80+ people play warcraft just for gaias and its the best RPG imo my 6-7 years of playing which is some accomplishment..

lets do thisss

Level 7
would be nice to continue legendary saga but there are limitations thrue... whyc suck

Level 4
So will there be a new version ? ^^

I asked same question but didn't got the answer and also saw the maker wont continue it. He is right about editor engine because if someone wants to continue this project he will need to make a new map. This mean newbs will need to play the old map to start a hero and the new map to continue story from lvl 30-35.

Level 7
I asked same question but didn't got the answer and also saw the maker wont continue it. He is right about editor engine because if someone wants to continue this project he will need to make a new map. This mean newbs will need to play the old map to start a hero and the new map to continue story from lvl 30-35.

Just make som else orpg? LOLZ
PLS note all things that u wana see in RPG
or u liked in gaias retaliation orpg.
im making new rpg
for now its totaly SICK

problems i have when casting spells the bar that is timed :D ? how
and lot of other stuff
but dont expect it to be gaias retaliation orpg :D im gona name it mby gaias retaliation orpg 2 and as we all know nothing is good as original :D

Edit:
im not realy dedicated to wc3 editor atm i play cs1.6 L4D2 HoN LoL etc. :D its kinda old but im still mixing the world editor from time to time
but if i make map il be shure to uptade it from time to time

edit 2
if my english teacher sees my TEXT ingame im gona get kicked out of school 4 good :) il need som1 to fix the text when im done

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.