• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frozen Temple

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
"Those that worshipped here hoped to gain the favour of the Gods, but evil spirits instead sealed their demise within this cursed landscape..."

Frozen Temple; a 1v1 or 2v2 Melee map originally intended for the 1v1 Melee map contest. I've really tried to give something unique to each race while keeping it (hopefully) balanced. Hope you guys enjoy it :)
Previews
Contents

Frozen Temple (Map)

Reviews
twojstaryjakcie
Ok, I replayed the map a few more times and I have some quite important issues regarding the middle camp and its surroundings. The middle camp is very clunky and counter-intuitive since it has an acquisition range of 500, so you feel like you are...
deepstrasz
Usually melee maps have the minimap as their preview image. 1. There's a lot of unused space: the water parts reaching the map's borders. Gives aerial units too much retreat space. 2. The nearest neutral camps might be just too close. 3. The middle...
Level 8
Map seems fine, though I feel a bit concerned with its square-ish terrain layout. I think that you should try to avoid making 90 degree cliffs and paths,turning them round instead might increase the map's attractiveness.

Also, I'd encourage adding a bit more doodads as nd reducing the flatness of the map. Right now, it feels like the environment is missing something.

Apart from that, the map's layout seems fine and it looks nice; I think you are a fan of Lost Temple, aren't you?

Level 3
Map seems fine, though I feel a bit concerned with its square-ish terrain layout. I think that you should try to avoid making 90 degree cliffs and paths,turning them round instead might increase the map's attractiveness.

Also, I'd encourage adding a bit more doodads as nd reducing the flatness of the map. Right now, it feels like the environment is missing something.

Apart from that, the map's layout seems fine and it looks nice; I think you are a fan of Lost Temple, aren't you?

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

I'll have a think about the square-ish-ness, and see how they look a bit more rounded.

I wanted to be a bit careful with doodads as I didn't want them to interfere with the micro of the players, but perhaps there are some more places they can add intrigue without getting in the way.

I actually don't like Lost Temple as a UD player :p (no tavern), but I do really like the temple assets within the game

Level 8
Ok, I replayed the map a few more times and I have some quite important issues regarding the middle camp and its surroundings.

The middle camp is very clunky and counter-intuitive since it has an acquisition range of 500, so you feel like you are attacked preemptively. Also, the ramps that lead to the middle camp are very narrow which makes it incredibly problematic to maneouver around and micro (if you are creepjacked while fighting the red camp, you either have to TP instantly or suffer considerable losses).

I'm afraid you'll have to expand the middle area a bit - as of right now, Wraiths (broken units, by the way, due to a very frustrating Possess ability) start attacking you when you fight the red camp which is by no means desirable.

Also, the middle camp drop is too powerful - a level 5 creep drop level 4 item and a level 7 creep drops a level 6 item. That's way too much and in most cases, killing that camp will usually grant incredible advantage over another player (unless you get Ring of Garbage +4). This is especially weird compared to the drop of the level 10 Magnataur Destroyers - just one level 4 item.

My last problem is using Wraiths as Creeps - their Possess ability is very hard to prevent and if your unit becomes possessed, say goodbye to the item that the Wraith would drop. I'd strongly suggest using a different creep instead, since Wraith favor strong heroes that can solo these camps (Blademaster, Demon Hunter) and punish pretty much everyone else.

Btw, I suggest placing trees in a circular shape in the future since prefectly parallel trees seem unnatural (I don't expect you to remove all trees on the map and start all over, it's just a tip for future maps).
ai.png

There are some doodads which don't block units, some of the ones labeled as Environment, for example; I like editing the color of River Rushes to fit the color of the map and then I use it as grass, for instance.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Usually melee maps have the minimap as their preview image.

1. There's a lot of unused space: the water parts reaching the map's borders. Gives aerial units too much retreat space.
2. The nearest neutral camps might be just too close.
3. The middle is inaccessible until midgame.
4. Expansion mines are thinly surrounded by trees which make them vulnerable not only to Keeper of the Grove/Blood Mage strategies but also to ranged siege units especially when you could potentially attack from the ramp or use Far Sight/Shades.
5. Many narrow points to cross through, some near neutral camps which could make some interesting strategies but in terms of moving melee and large armies it's quite painful.
6. Avoid items dropping from neutrals with the Possession ability.
7. Torches look weird standing alone on the ground. They are more suitable for being hung on walls/doodads.
8. Doodads in the middle/center where the nerubians are create unit pathing issues. It's hard to manoeuver ground units through.

Awaiting Update.

===================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 3
Ok, I replayed the map a few more times and I have some quite important issues regarding the middle camp and its surroundings.

The middle camp is very clunky and counter-intuitive since it has an acquisition range of 500, so you feel like you are attacked preemptively. Also, the ramps that lead to the middle camp are very narrow which makes it incredibly problematic to maneouver around and micro (if you are creepjacked while fighting the red camp, you either have to TP instantly or suffer considerable losses).

I'm afraid you'll have to expand the middle area a bit - as of right now, Wraiths (broken units, by the way, due to a very frustrating Possess ability) start attacking you when you fight the red camp which is by no means desirable.

Also, the middle camp drop is too powerful - a level 5 creep drop level 4 item and a level 7 creep drops a level 6 item. That's way too much and in most cases, killing that camp will usually grant incredible advantage over another player (unless you get Ring of Garbage +4). This is especially weird compared to the drop of the level 10 Magnataur Destroyers - just one level 4 item.

My last problem is using Wraiths as Creeps - their Possess ability is very hard to prevent and if your unit becomes possessed, say goodbye to the item that the Wraith would drop. I'd strongly suggest using a different creep instead, since Wraith favor strong heroes that can solo these camps (Blademaster, Demon Hunter) and punish pretty much everyone else.

Btw, I suggest placing trees in a circular shape in the future since prefectly parallel trees seem unnatural (I don't expect you to remove all trees on the map and start all over, it's just a tip for future maps).
View attachment 285407

That's super useful feedback man, thanks. I'll take all of it on board with the next version. Thanks a lot for taking the time to play it through a few times!

Level 3
Usually melee maps have the minimap as their preview image.

1. There's a lot of unused space: the water parts reaching the map's borders. Gives aerial units too much retreat space.
2. The nearest neutral camps might be just too close.
3. The middle is inaccessible until midgame.
4. Expansion mines are thinly surrounded by trees which make them vulnerable not only to Keeper of the Grove/Blood Mage strategies but also to ranged siege units especially when you could potentially attack from the ramp or use Far Sight/Shades.
5. Many narrow points to cross through, some near neutral camps which could make some interesting strategies but in terms of moving melee and large armies it's quite painful.
6. Avoid items dropping from neutrals with the Possession ability.
7. Torches look weird standing alone on the ground. They are more suitable for being hung on walls/doodads.
8. Doodads in the middle/center where the nerubians are create unit pathing issues. It's hard to manoeuver ground units through.

Awaiting Update.

===================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!
Thanks for the feedback dude, really helpful stuff. I'll take it all into consideration for the next version. Thank a lot :)