• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forsaken Apothecary

Forsaken Apothecary
Texture and Geo-merging/edit by Footman16, Portrait, animations and polishing by General Frank
So I decided to once again create a model based on this request here for an SD version of a Reforged/HD model. I thought it would be fun, useful and a good test even though it would require more modelling to get it to look good similar to my Bandit Assassin model. I set about and after doing the geo-merge and editing from various different parts I collected all the different parts into one skin to re-texture and re-wrap it. After texturing I handed it over to the capable hands of General Frank who then polished the model, integrated the portrait and added portrait animations which might have been tough (as I may have accidentally deleted some facial bones but don't tell him that!) as well as completely re-doing my terrible Geoset Animations, my modelling skills are limited and so this resource would not be as good as it is without his invaluable input.

Below is the reference picture I was going off of and I hope it does it justice, there are already some great Apothecary models out there but I thought this would suit people going for a unit, more low-poly approach.

254668-d2df6d3dfc310af225ebae32cc9222ac.jpg

Path for the Texture is just "ForsakenApothecary.blp" so just delete the "War3mapImported\" bit.

As always give credits and ask permission for any radical changes or reposting, small edits are of course allowed!

UPDATE 20/04/2023: Icon added
Previews
Contents

BTNForsakenApothecary (Icon)

Forsaken Apothecary Icon Alt (Icon)

Forsaken Apothecary (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
A nice custom necromancer model. Works in-game. Approved!
View attachment 431570
375-3755616_super-mario-bros-green-mushroom-mario-bros-pixel.png

Grumpy old man comes back from the dead to haunt young ones reading them stories.
I think the Necromancer book has the fewest pixels spread over the largest area of any detail on a model lol.

Honestly not the "greatest" model there is but there is absolutely no need for it to be. I think that I'm so "negative" because of the necromancer unit's lack of animations. But great model and addition nevertheless, especially for the Forsaken Army!
Strike for the Dark Lady, for Sylvanas! 5/5
For sure, the whole idea was something very simple looking, the Necromancer base does definitely show as does the weirdness but at the end of the day it does ensure the model will fit in beside other Warcraft units :) thanks for the rating!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm always excited to see Forsaken models, and especially SD ones designed for custom faction use. It's definitely good to see more Apothecaries, that's for sure. : )

However I'll be honest, it's not quite what I'm looking for, and even as a recreation it's somewhat lacking. The former (stuff like "using a magic crystal staff"/"magical attack/spell SFX", "looking a lot like the OG Necromancer yet less interesting") is mostly just personal taste (to me, an Apothecary is more a scientist than a pure 'mage', with potions instead of crystals & fumes instead of sparkles). But the latter (stuff like the weirdly-long face mesh & texture, the mismatch of the robe texture from mid to bottom, no TC on the body somewhere, etc) seem like strange design choices at best, missteps at worst.

I'm comfortable leaving it at that; seems like plenty of others are appreciative of & finding use in this, which is great. Just wanted to provide some constructive critique.

However I'll be honest, it's not quite what I'm looking for, and even as a recreation it's somewhat lacking. The former (stuff like "using a magic crystal staff"/"magical attack/spell SFX", "looking a lot like the OG Necromancer yet less interesting") is mostly just personal taste (to me, an Apothecary is more a scientist than a pure 'mage', with potions instead of crystals & fumes instead of sparkles). But the latter (stuff like the weirdly-long face mesh & texture, the mismatch of the robe texture from mid to bottom, no TC on the body somewhere, etc) seem like strange design choices at best, missteps at worst.
I appreciate the feedback and understand it's not to your taste :)

A question I have is how as a recreation you find it lacking, since looking at it and the reference image, they seem pretty close to me other than maybe the top bit of the staff have my spikes poking inward whilst in the HD model they curve out?

As for the latter stuff, the "weirdly-long" face mesh I don't find weirdly long and is purely artistic, compare it to the head of the Zombie model in the game for example and I see no issues personally and I quite like the exaggerated proportions giving it a much more gaunt and "dead" look. The mismatch of the robe I think is also fine since the belt separates the two parts, also they are separate geosets hence why there's team colour on one and not the other, but in terms of Team colour the bottom of the robe combined with the top of the staff I think is plenty and adding it to the shoulders as suggested by BaiyuGalan would maybe be a bit excessive. Not to mention I wanted to add some colour to the texture which wasn't greys or browns so I liked being able to add some purple in there, similar to how parts of the Blood Mage are Red and not TC.

Again, appreciate it's personal taste but hopefully that explains some of the choices made in the model :)