1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

For those just starting to terrain.

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by demonsofdante, Apr 11, 2007.

1. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    I see that there has been a lot of new people aspiring to become good terrainers in these forums, so I thought I'd help out and compile a few helpful links to further progress anyone new to terraining:

Ultimate Terraining Map
    Ultimate Terraining Map:
    The Ultimate Terraining map provides hundreds of custom doodads to be used for all of your terraining needs. Mor)L(une has created an extended version with many more doodads in the same thread.

Ultimate Terraining Map Tutorial
    Ultimate Terraining Map Tutorial by HermanTheGibbon

Misc. Data
    Misc. Data:
    Misc Data is another thing that hopefully does not need to be linked. However for those that do not know, this file allows you make very steep cliffs (but remember to keep them realistic looking).

101 Do's and Dont's of Terraining

101 Do's and Dont's of Terraining
    :
    This was a list compiled a while ago that had a crapload of helpful tips but was lost in a mound of other threads. A must read for those new to terrain.

WC3Campaigns

Wc3 Campaign Terrain Gallery
    The Hive Workshop isn't the only Warcraft III modding site! And both have extremely talented terrainers for people to follow. This is one of the main places I would reccomend you go to get a good idea of great terraining.

Wc3 Campaign Terrain Forum
    Another terrain forum you can visit to exchange ideas and view terrains.

Wc3 Campaign's Weekly Terrain
    The weekly terrain forum comes up with new themes to terrain each week. Highly recommended for practicing new ideas and creativity.

Wc3 Campaign's Terrain Challenges
    Wc3c's terrain challenges are similiar to THW's terrain contests and offer a great opportunity to explore creative use of doodad that show just how many ways you can use simple doodads. (My personal favorite was Beam's pirate ship made out of only 10 doodad models.)

Terrain Showcases:
    Terraining Showcases are one of the best ways to gain ideas (but not copy them) and learn new techniques through studying the terrains of others. Here are a few showcases for people to look at and study.

Old Showcase Thread
    Old Showcase Thead
    This was a showcase started by VGsatomi that includes terraining work from talented people that seem to have been forgotten as time went by . Take note of how ordinary doodads were used to create extraordinary structures.

HernanG's Showcase
    HernanG's Showcase
    Although it's probably not necessary to link this, HernanG's terrains deserve to be linked in case people forget about them.

HappyTauren's Showcase
    HappyTauren' s Showcase
    HappyTauren is a good terrainer.

[Death}'s Showcase

[Death]'s Showcase
    [Death] is another very talented terrainer and probably one of the best. His terrain is usually flawless and it is recommended that you study his terrain thoroughly.

demonsofdante's Showcase
    My Personal Showcase
    As modest as I want to be, I'm not gonna lie and I think mine are up there near HappyTauren's status and I hope people can learn from them as well.

Craka_J's Showcase
    Craka_J's Showcase
    Craka_J is one of the best terrainers still in the Warcraft modding community, so learn all that you can from his work.

~Void~'s Showcase
    ~Voids~'s Showcase
    ~Void~ has become one of the leading wc3 terrainers here on the Hive. I highly recommend his work.

Edit
    [Edit by Craka_J] Terrain Tutorials:
    How to make smooth Rivers
    How to make Waterfalls
    How to place, scale, and move doodads

Underwater Effect

Here starts HappyTauren's part about the great Misc Data "hack" thing.

I have seen many people still using WEU just because of extended terraining limits it has. So, i decided to post this file. When you place it into UI folder in your wc3 installation ("C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI") it disables height limits.

Anyway, you will still need WEU Enchancer to use up to 16 tiles (perhaps even more is possiable, i will look up to it).

If there's no UI folder, create it yourself in the "Warcraft III" folder.

EDIT: Usage of the most recent MiscData.txt is recommended, do remember to remove the date.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Deep Sea Kraken

Deep Sea Kraken

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol, i dunno why, bt WeU has never crashed, or made a map unprotectable, the only time it wouldnt open it it was because i had forgotten to do the unhide advanced triggers.

3. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Woo HT. I personally dislike WEU becuase it seems sort of like a crutch to me. You dont need most of the stuff in there, and a lot of it can be things yo ucan do yourself, such as this file.

WEU does have good features of course but its still not my friend.

I suggest this be stickied as its something most every terrainer needs/requests and is too often lost under the barrage of separate terrain forums.

4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yea thats what i thought. Cause i had to remake this from scratch since i (lol) couldnt find it

5. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad to have it after 50,000 attempts at downloading from broken links. Thanks again, and hopefully this will be stickied soon!

6. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ~ Thread stickied and renamed.

7. Saryeit

Saryeit

Resources:
    Resources:
    Heres a little tip for those of you having issues with MiscData's water pathing.

First, if you notice that water with rolling shores allows players to walk through the water (even if its really deep), its being caused by MiscData.txt. Its a simple fix, but it took me a while to find it.

To fix this, go into your MiscData.txt file, and scroll down to this part.

-----------------------------------------------

[Water]
    // Depth-based colors
    // The water plane is vertex colored based on the water "depth": the distance
    // from the water plane to the ground. These values define the colors for two
    // distinct ranges: "shallow" (MinDepth to DeepLevel) and "deep" (DeepLevel to MaxDepth).
    // where the color is found by interpolating between the corresponding colors given
    // in TerrainArt/Water.slk.
    //

MinDepth=10
    DeepLevel=64
    MaxDepth=72

// DeepLevelPathing defines the depth below which water
    // is considered "deep" for pathing and placement rules.

DeepLevelPathing=10000000000

// WavesDepth defines the depth that terrain vertices need to be below the
    // water before they will be considered "under" water for wave generation

WavesDepth=25

-----------------------------------------------

This little chunk of text is the culperate! Somewhere in there you should see "DeepLevelPathing=10000000000". That pretty much eliminates the ground pathing limits entirely. Easy fix. Change the number to 64, which should match the DeepLevel shown above.

I believe you can also increase how deep the water can go using MaxDepth setting under DeepLevel. This wont be much if the water is so dark, you don't see the bottom, but for those of you creating giant sunken ruins and such, this could be a very, very beautiful thing.

I hope this little tutorial helped someone freaking out about the issue (like I did).

EDIT: For those of you creating a map that the water is poisonous or whatever, but you cant stand putting cliff shores or pathing blockers, change the pathing to 1. (I think 0 screws it up, and its not a big difference. Just needs to be a bit deeper.)

====================================================

I have had a few questions asking if I know how to make the "lower" limits disappear, like the maker did with raising. Once again, a simple fix.

Open your MiscData.txt file and go to this part:
    ------------------------------------
    [Terrain]
    // terrain parameters

// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)
    MaxSlope=87

// Global height limits
    // 0 = low ground, each cliff level = 128
    MaxHeight=9000
    MinHeight=[Terrain]
    // terrain parameters

// Maximum slope in degrees, (86+ will disable slope limits)
    MaxSlope=87

// Global height limits
    MaxHeight=9000
    MinHeight=-128
    ------------------------------------

Down at

// Global height limits
    MaxHeight=9000
    MinHeight=-128

The minHeight needs to be changed from -128 to -9000, to match with maxheight. DO NOT FORGET THE -. If its not there, it makes the minimum and maximum height exactly the same, which means you would have completely flat land.

===============================================

If I find out any other helpful information about how to fix MiscData up, Ill post it here!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. Undifty

Undifty

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome, been looking for this one for a short while now :D

9. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Updated, thanks to Saryeit

+REP Saryeit

Attached Files:

10. Saryeit

Saryeit

Resources:
    Resources:

Ty =)

Is that smaller file of MiscData.txt have anything new?

EDIT: Did I just ask a stupid question again!?

11. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    nope, i just defaulted deeplevelpathing

12. Landy

Landy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Crap i want same hack for doodad limit xD

13. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    get grimoire for 1.21 then -.-

14. Horror.Man

Horror.Man

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry for what might and could sound like a noob question, but I just wanted to make sure I got this right the first time. The "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI" file does not exist within the Warcraft files. I've looked, and nothing comes up.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

15. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well not necessarily an idiot, just inexperienced.

Simply create the UI folder inside your Warcraft III directory (wherever it is: mine is in D:\Warcraft III\UI) then place the MiscData.txt inside that folder.

16. DwarfZealot

DwarfZealot

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i tried that and then i try raising and when it gets to a certain height it all of the sudden spikes down... any ideas?

17. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "certain heights" are to high, if you try lower ones it wont look that way, i have experienced that too, simply dont make THAT high or LOW hillz

18. lordnemesis

lordnemesis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ummm.. sorry if this is a very noob question... but how do I see the effects of the MiscData file in my map? I downloaded the file into C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI .... so what do I do next? Do changes take place once I edit the file?

19. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    u dont see them in ur map. only in WE

20. lordnemesis

lordnemesis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. What I wanted to say was that I couldn't see a change in WE even after changing the cliff height value in the MiscData file. I changed it to set cliff level = 500... but when I went back to WE and used the "increase one" tool, there wasn't a difference. Am I missing out on something?

EDIT: Oh.. I just realized that "cliff level" is how high you can RAISE the terrain... sorry about my noobishness. Thanks for helping HappyTauren! :)