• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
This is a terrain I made not too long ago, but it seems much of the terrain board ignores my showcase, and I wanted to see what everyone thought of it.

Attachments

• Portal.png
    Portal.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 341
Level 7
Oh ok, very nice, but you know you just attached it ><. You're obviously online right now 'cause you added it about two minutes after I posted.

Level 34
Nice! I'm still a little puzzled how you did this. Glow doodad? Did you use Distance Fog at all?

Level 10
Umm the portal destinations look a little weird. The fog is nice, but the left one dosen't seem to fit.... With that elf looking building in the yellow fogge barrens. The water ones just confuses the hell out of me. They could use a nice entrance type of thing. Like a fire ring, waterfall ring, and light bursting out of the left one. :razz:

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

Golly, thats a nice terrain.

+Rep for great idea, design and execution.

Level 18
Umm the portal destinations look a little weird. The fog is nice, but the left one dosen't seem to fit.... With that elf looking building in the yellow fogge barrens. The water ones just confuses the hell out of me. They could use a nice entrance type of thing. Like a fire ring, waterfall ring, and light bursting out of the left one. :razz:

Well, lets see, I wanted the portal room somewhat simple, and if you look, the top arches are somewhat 'matched' to the portal they coincide with. And the barrens is all barrens doodads. And since they are portals things 'bursting out' wouldn't be all that great.

But, as for everyone else thanks for the comments, and maybe I shall tell you Gilles, but as for everyone else I'll never tell!

Level 10
Well, lets see, I wanted the portal room somewhat simple, and if you look, the top arches are somewhat 'matched' to the portal they coincide with. And the barrens is all barrens doodads. And since they are portals things 'bursting out' wouldn't be all that great.

The light coming out of the portal's was sort of a joke. Umm, I never liked those arches in the UTM.

btw, if you look at the top. Their's these weird purple dot thingys. Their hard to see, but what are they?

Level 19
It's blantly obvious that you used glow doodads, but other then that I do like the idea. The actual outcome I do not like... much at all actually. If you had this grand idea, you could've made the execution much better. For instance, the portals on the left and right reveal very bland and unrealistic landscapes. Why would you want to go to the bottom of the ocean? It does not follow a specific theme. It would be much better if you would've made it something like a judgmental theme, or a religious them, or... something. For instance, one portal could've gone to hell, another to heaven, another to earth.

Level 34
It's blantly obvious that you used glow doodads, but other then that I do like the idea. The actual outcome I do not like... much at all actually. If you had this grand idea, you could've made the execution much better. For instance, the portals on the left and right reveal very bland and unrealistic landscapes. Why would you want to go to the bottom of the ocean? It does not follow a specific theme. It would be much better if you would've made it something like a judgmental theme, or a religious them, or... something. For instance, one portal could've gone to hell, another to heaven, another to earth.
Who cares? It looks cool.

Level 18
Why would I do a religious theme? And the left and right portals to me, seemed less bland than the center. It is a magical portal, and was meant to have a lot of contrast in the places. And, you say, why to the bottom of the ocean? Why would you want to go to hell? This a WC3ish terrain, water = Naga, barrens = Orc, Fire = Demons. Simple enough.

Level 19
Why would I do a religious theme? And the left and right portals to me, seemed less bland than the center. It is a magical portal, and was meant to have a lot of contrast in the places. And, you say, why to the bottom of the ocean? Why would you want to go to hell? This a WC3ish terrain, water = Naga, barrens = Orc, Fire = Demons. Simple enough.

Because Demons want to get in and out of hell -.-, or maybe you want to kill some demons. But why the hell would anything want to go to the bottom of the ocean to find a portal? These portals seem completely useless. But, I guess you're right. Like if a frickdarn fish swims into the portal and has a suffi-spasm on the floor of that temple, flops and gets the floor wet... Then maybe a demon sees the fish and is all like "YUMMM!", goes out, tries to eat it, slips and falls into the middle of the desert. Thus saving the people of fishworld, and leaving the orcs to fight off the demon by themselves.

But, back on-topic, I think you should use some custom doodads on the underwater portal. Clear it up a bit.

Level 34
Because Demons want to get in and out of hell -.-, or maybe you want to kill some demons. But why the hell would anything want to go to the bottom of the ocean to find a portal? These portals seem completely useless. But, I guess you're right. Like if a frickdarn fish swims into the portal and has a suffi-spasm on the floor of that temple, flops and gets the floor wet... Then maybe a demon sees the fish and is all like "YUMMM!", goes out, tries to eat it, slips and falls into the middle of the desert. Thus saving the people of fishworld, and leaving the orcs to fight off the demon by themselves.

But, back on-topic, I think you should use some custom doodads on the underwater portal. Clear it up a bit.
Why does it have to have meaning? It's just portals.

Level 18
Ya. Exactly what Gilles said. Ever think the portals cant just be accesed by anyone? They are far from being realstic as there are no magical portals anywhere. So quit being a douchebag about this. You want sum completely logical terrain go make one urself. Seriously gtfo this thread if ur guna try and troll. This was made for entertainment and the contrast of the three terrains. Also as a personal challenge for myself. You want sumthing real go build a house.

Level 19
Um... I don't think you took that the right way. But anyway, all I'm saying is that a little more thought could be put into it. It's a good idea - but I already stated the reasons why I don't like the execution, so anyway...

I would work on it being a lot clearer, it seems very blurry. If that's a filter for the portal's sake (which I seriously doubt) then I guess that's okay, but it seems the glare coming through each of the portals is overwhelming.

Level 34
I think you're just trying to find fault with it now. The brightness helps bring out the contrast and the fact that they are magical portals.

Hey famous, is that a shrub stack in the water one?

Level 5
hello
how you made it, the technique is verry nice also the idea is nice but i cant help me i dont think its great because the terrain in the north and east looks a bit odd and maybe the entrance hall which takes the most area of the picture could be a bit more with love in the detail made

Level 19
I think you're just trying to find fault with it now. The brightness helps bring out the contrast and the fact that they are magical portals.

Hey famous, is that a shrub stack in the water one?

Now?

All of my comments have been trying to find fault, which all of them did, actually. Minor or major, fault is still fault. If he wanted criticism then I am the sole provider, if all he wanted was praise then I shall have nothing to do with it.

Level 34
I meant you aren't even trying to critique, your just looking for something to degrade his terrain. It started as a critique, but then you started talking about stories and nonsense.

Anyways well end it at this, no point in spamming the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.