1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

For those just starting to terrain.

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by demonsofdante, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is great and useful for terrainers for sure! Since WEU doesn't agree with my PC, this is a minor substitute and I'm lovin' it! +Rep!
    ~Craka_J

2. Revolve

Revolve

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  3. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Might want to sticky this.

4. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    *STICKIED*
    I also editted the first post and added a couple very handy tutorials.
    ~Craka_J

5. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol thanks for the sticky bro. If hteres any other links or showcases people want here just let me know and i'll update it accordingly

6. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can't seem to find the old terrain tutorial HernanG made a while ago. Was a good one too :/
    ~Craka_J

7. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Poo, know of any link to MC !'s terrain thread i thought he had one on Wc3Campaigns? Or i may be mistaken.
    Same goes for Beam, theyd be great examples

8. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't. I checked for them but still cannot find them. *sigh*
    ~Craka_J

9. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Where is your showcase Craka? I guess WC3:WoW is one big showcase?

10. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's my showcase:
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30794

Hope you guys like what I've done. Almost all of it is WIPs but still pretty good :D

PS: Oh and I didn't post all of the screenshots in the first post. A couple other posts of mine have different screenshots as well.
    ~Craka_J

11. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why would people just new to terraining want to know about Wc3c weekly terraining or their terrain gallery? They would get sabered down there and torn to pieces.

Also please fix up the thread so it looks better, has just somewhat correct spelling and stop using "lol" everywhere in something that should seem "important" and guide-like.

12. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seeing the work at Wc3c was what inspired me to give terraining a shot. I don't see why it's so wrong for people to see what you can actually do with terraining and try to take a swing at it.

I did not intend for this to be a guide or to be stickied which is why its so informal. I fixed it up a bit but let me know if its not up to everyones standards.

13. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I organized the first post a little bit. I might work on it more later if I spot any more flaws.
    ~Craka_J

14. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There should be a link to [Death]'s showcase, he is IMO, the best terrainer around, not to insult you Craka ;)

15. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No offence taken. I don't like considering myself as the best terrainer ever anyway, makes me sound cockey.
    I'll add it in a minute.

[edit]:
    Okay, I added a tutorial and [Death]'s Showcase to the first post. Anything else?
    ~Craka_J

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  16. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    I forgot about death, ill go snooping around for it later when i have more time.

17. FireEffect

FireEffect

Resources:
    Resources:
    Same with me I cant even raise above normal without this happening. So this made the hills worse :(

18. Saryeit

Saryeit

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is probably a typo in the file. Its been a while since Ive worked with this, so hopefully Im correct... The height part should be similar to this:

// Global height limits
    // 0 = low ground, each cliff level = 128
    MaxHeight=9000
    MinHeight=-9000

I havent played Warcraft in a few months, so there may be an update I dont know about that fixed this. Either way, Ill be playing a bit more of it. Hopefully nobody missed me too much? :p

P.S. Hopefully this helps :grin:
    [Post Merged]
    I saw that tutorial sometime ago as well. I use it all the time, but sometimes Im naughty and use Blizzard's cliffs. :hohum:

Before I quit I began another RPG project, since I didnt like the way Naznoran is turning out (but now Ill probably be finishing it) , and those cliffs can be a real pain. Im using a First-Person camera (sorry, cant give credit to the person right now.. Dont have it up), and using almost any slope that is pretty steep can screw it up. You would be looking through the ground, and it likes to bug movement. Hopefully I can find a way around this, because these are WAY better than BlizCliffs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  19. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please do not double post. I merged your posts to help avoid conflict.
    ~Craka_J

20. Saryeit

Saryeit

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does anyone know if its possible to create a setting to have it automatically block ground movement with certain heights of ground level? The hills look a lot better than Blizcliffs, but I dont want to spend an hour putting in a couple hundred pathing blockers, for something that might not even stay the same.