• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fax Creperum [Single Player RPG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Fax Creperum [Single Player RPG]

Quick Information
Latest Version: ALPHA 1.2.0a
Map Category: SPRPG(Single Player RPG)/Puzzle map
Estimated Game-Time: 20 minutes to X minutes (depends on how clever you are)
Download: HERE (The map is protected because of optimizing)

Note: Fax Creperum is latin and means something like: The Torch of Darkness in english.

Changelog

• You can no longer bypass the huge spider in the Dark Cave, it WILL attack you.
  • A Marketplace has been added to the Human City.
  • Changed different descriptions to make them look clearer and better.
  • The NPC's in the Human City are no longer control able.
  • You are now able to talk to the villagers, listen to what they have to say.
  • New runeword-spells has been created!
  • The dummy units in the Human City is now hostile and allow you to attack them, testing your melee and spell attacks.
  • You are now able to "jump" to a selected Part of the map. This will allow you to skip re-do a thing over and over again!
  • Miroeldan now propely gives you the Enchanted Sword as promised.
  • The "Change Lag Safe Mode" option now has a hotkey as mentioned.
  • Added a new feature, a "look around" feature. This allow you to stand still and look around.
  • Hopefuly fixed the issue that allowed you to move around in a circle when you was inside a cinematic.
  • The camera is now much better. It's more straight and it can feel if you are moving at a little hill and will then raise the itself (the camera).
  • Added another side-quest. Find Robert and do his task if you want to.
  • A lot of other things.

• The terrain in the Human City has been updated, yet still not finished.
  • Added music in the human city.
  • Miroeldan now gives the Enchanted Sword as he said.
  • Fixed dialog issues.
  • Added torches in-game, that you can equip to light up the path infront of you.
  • The Goblin Merchant now sells torches.
  • Torches can be found in bags.
  • The Goblin Merchant has lowered the price of the Froz rune to 34 gold pieces!
  • Items with charges will now stack.
  • A Side-quest has been added in the Goblin Fortress! Find it!

• You'll now be able to loot gold coins from bags.
  • The Human City has been created, it's very empty for now, but will be finished in future version. Complete the first part and have a look!
  • Tile-Set has been changed to "Underground" from "Dungeon".
  • Fixed some dialog issues and added more dialogs in-game.
  • Improved the terrain in the Goblin Fortress.
  • Added a Goblin Merchant in the Goblin Fortress, go to him and check his items!
  • Decreased the movementspeed of the hero.
  • Slightly decreased the sensitivity.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed you to move through specific objects and walls.
  • Added a "Change Lag Safe Mode", that allow you to change the sight distance in-game. This is good to use if you are having a lot of fps drops.
  • Runewords do now cost mana (the more powerful the runeword is, the more mana it costs).
  • You'll no longer earn unnecessary experience by killing enemy units (because you can't do anything when you level up anyway). This will be
    added in the future.
  • Removed some things at the UI.

• First public version.

Story

The Story
The world is no longer covered by the suns' heat. Above the surface it's freezing cold and all races has taken cover under the ground in dark and huge caves for their survival... The races tries to cooperate with eachother, but it isn't going well; each race want to be the strongest one. Only trading between the races is accepted. Too much blood is spilled in the caves and the blood cause horrible beings to arise. Those beings do not accept their new visitors.

Five years has gone since the races fled under ground and rebuilt their cities. For each day, each race become stronger or weaker, depending on how successful they've been the past day, in trading or training. A lot of weaker cities has gone wasted by those horrible beings and only the stronger cities are left.

Nowadays, rumors are told. It's said that the wise women has predicted that a hero was born a couple of years ago and this hero will save all the races from destruction...

Story

About the Map
Fax Creperum is a Single Player Role Playing Game (SPRPG) and has elements to be like a puzzle game. Interact with objects and talk to people to make progress with your primary quest and do secondary quests to become stronger.

Just because this map is an ALPHA TEST, there isn't that much to do yet. You are able to go through the whole first part of this map and the first part is seperated with four parts.

Part 1

• Act 1 - Imprisoned
  • Act 2 - Better Get Running
  • Act 3 - The Gem Hunt
  • Act 4 - Time to Rescue
Part 2 (Under Development)

• Act 1 - Preparing for a Mission
  • Act 2 - Finding the Ogres
  • Act 3 - The Ogres Task
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A nice and original feature I've added to the map is a special "spell-system". By finding or get runes, you can combine runewords to create different kinds of magics/spells.

• Aar - Weak Magic Rune
  • Erax - Fire Rune
  • Froz - Frost/Cold Rune
  • Terra - Earth Rune
  • Tempore - Time Rune
  • Raa - Normal Magic Rune
  • Ara - Strong Magic Rune

• AarEraxErax - Create a fire infront of the hero, that deals damage to nearby enemy units. The fire is also able to lit up dead fire pits.
  • AarFrozFroz - Create a magic missile of frost, that will move forward and deal damage to the first object it hits.
  • AarTerraTerra - Create an earthquake infront of the hero, that deals damage each second to enemy units within it.
  • AarTerraErax - Create a molten stone that slowly falls down against the ground, dealing heavy damage upon impact.

Another feature is that you'll have to use the arrowkeys to move around, so the game is actually viewed in FP (First Person).

I'll add more information here later.

Screenshots

Screenshots
(Sorry for the weird last pictures, don't know why they became a little white)

The last two pictures shows how I lit a Fire Pit with my magic skills! :)

As you can see, the environment is really dark, make the gameplay very interesting. Who knows what will appear in the darkness...

15_546.jpg

15_6985.jpg

15_5652.jpg

15_649.jpg

15_4646.jpg

15_1925.jpg

15_4729.jpg

15_53.jpg

15_1017.jpg

15_4570.jpg

15_1934.jpg

Blizzard Entertainment: For different stuff, like icons and more!

Human City Theme - FuNaNdMoRe (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/246438)

Silent Wish - Andre de Almeida (industrialplayground) (http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/132141)

Team Colorless Ogre Warlord
by takakenji

PuppetMaster
by DonDustin

Sharadar Hell Knight
by Dionesiist

Vampire Combatant
by Dionesiist

BTNNaudiz
by AlienAtSystem

Ham
by RightField

Thief - Blade Edition
by Thief - Blade Edition [Ket]

BTNPImprovedEyeSight
by Paladon

Market Stand [Variation2]
by Ribenamania

BTNTorch
by IanSkel

BTNTiwaz
by AlienAtSystem

Training Dummy
by communist_orc

High Elf Chronomancer
by Debode

Door 00
by Tranquil

FrozenFountain
by Elenai

BTNAnsuz
by AlienAtSystem

BTNSowilo
by AlienAtSystem

Gem
by Dan van Ohllus

Goblin Juggernaut by Sunchips
by Sunchips

Glowing Light
by neogaidenx

Bum Bed
by Cavman

DemonWall
by Amigurumi

GoblinDoodad-Table
by Sellenisko

BearRug_DDK
by darkdeathknight

Goblin Mage (Variation 1)
by Dan van Ohllus

Pickaxe + Item
by Fan

Scroll Red
by EviL_BuddhA

BTNOthala
by AlienAtSystem

Daelin & xXm0rpH3usXx & Ket Golosov & Nasrudin (wc3campaigns)

MineWall
by -=Emergenzy=-

Barrens Rock
by Herio-san

GoblinWarrior
by Em!

key101
by Chriz.

Villager Man
by Aquis

BTNTalking2
by KelThuzad

BTNHD_Attack
by CRAZYRUSSIAN

Bag_1
by !!GORO!!

BTNFocus2
by KelThuzad

Please, post any feedback, suggestions and such. It's very appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Fax Creperum ALPHA1.1.0a P.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 122
  • Fax Creperum ALPHA1.2.0a P.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 165
  • Fax Creperum ALPHA1.3.0a P.w3x
    9.8 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Level 19
Well, that may be true. It's hard for me to calculate the time for how long time it will take for another person to complete and test the map. I'd glad to have some feedback from you and others when you're done so I know what I can improve and change. Also then, I'll update the map more quickly if you'd like to see some updates and continue the adventure :) I've begun on the second part on the map and I'm complete with the first act there.

Level 8
Testing it now. Love the fact that its single player, as not many people play online anymore :/ even i have starcraft!

Edit: Ermmm.. YEah, thanks for locking the map... Now i cant look at any triggers for leaks... And its a pain in the ass to put in your download folder and stuff. Maybe thats why nobody has reviewed this map... (If you want people to review your map.. dont lock it. I almost walked away from this because i hate locked maps!)

Edit 2: >:| Well that makes me angry. i put it in my folder, and it isn't shown when i try to play it. So now i cant play it. If you wouldn't have locked it, then none of this woulda happened.

Level 19
Sorry for this. I'll release an unprotected map when I feel for it, don't worry. Well... If you can't see the map I think no-one can. It's the classic "to long file name" thing. Remove "Protected" from the file name and it should be fine.

Edit: Re-attached the map, with a shorter map-name. Now it should work fine and be displayed correctly.

Last edited:
Level 8
cool. thanks for renaming. il try to play it again and give a full review.
May take a couple of mins or sometimes hours :p

Edit: Im stuck... what do i use to destroy the pipe. ive searched the entire level >:| lol i like the game tho, looks awesome!
Nvm i found it :p

Level 8
Review

Great game, lots of fun trying to figure out what to do. But also some slow parts. Never got bored of the terrain, and had close to no bugs while playing.

Terrain- Fantastic. Interesting. Exiting!
>The terrain was great. never got bored of any of it. Seemed to be enough detail everywhere to keep the average human interested. Could use some more shrub or something like that, but all in all, great!
>My worst fear is a flat ground with no hills or lumps. My second fear is insanely bumpy ground. You made the ground perfect in my oppinion. There weren't any sudden falls or hills, everything was gradual. No ground was the same, making the overall experience feel more realistic.
>Tileset was well chosen. Fit the goblin setting fantastically! Maybe a tad bit more variety in it, for example, the hallways could have a type of dirt through the middle to show that they have been walked on by a lot of goblins, but this isn't needed, just a recommendation ^^
>Walls fit the setting perfectly. They were the right colour, and all jagged and rough around the prisons. But once you go through the gate, the walls become straight and neatly cut. Little touches like that make a game come to life. It seems like its really a goblins cave when you play. Dont change anything about that!
>The tables and chairs stood out to me, because they had food and drink and other stuff on top of them. Chairs positioned in different directions around the table. Again, made the scene come to life!
>And holy shit(excuse the language)!!! The lighting... O the lighting... I have nothing else to say but perfect! Corners were dark. Hallways were bright. Torches seemed to really light the place up. Even in those corners that i thought were too dark, there was an unlit fireplace sitting in the darkness. Great detail!
>>Dont change much about that terrain. It seemed to fit perfectly with the rest of the goblins. Great detail everywhere you went! Kept my interest! Lighting was definitively a forte in the map.

Gameplay- Fun, enjoyable game, but had some hard spots. Some improvements could be made.
>Fun game play in general, nice tutorial type thing at the beginning. Colored text made it bearable and nice to read :p Easy to start playing and get into the story a bit.
>At the beginning, i was fooled multiple times with that bucket. I kept thinking i might need to fill it with something. Good addition to the mystery!
>when talking to the other prisoner, i realized that my name was the one talking and not "Mr. Prisoner". Another great touch!
>I found the bone after searching for a long time. But found it :D When i went to hit the sewer and break it, i used the "attack" button because i thought that i should hit the thing till it breaks. Plus, the tutorial information thing told me how to attack so i thought i would be using it to break the pipeline. This ticket me off. I didn't understand why i couldn't hit it and attack it. Finally after 5 mins of trying, i interacted with it to see if there was a new hint, but instead it finally broke!!! Please, change the tutorial to show you how to attack After you escape your cell when your about to battle the goblin!
>When entering the tunnel thing, the screen faded to black, and back in, rather than simply teleporting me instantly. Loved that addition. It was a smooth transition, and showed that the game was made with some care :) Good job!
>>Gameplay was overall great. Fun, addictive, but sometimes hard (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). I couldn't get past finding a gem to give to the goblin, or breaking the oddly colored rock, because i had no clue how to break it and enter the secret room. >:|

Triggers- Triggers seemed to all work fine. No massive bugs except for when i target the buckets outside of my cell with the interact thing, nothing happens, but the target thing turns green indicating that i could target it?

Conclusion- Great game, keep working on it. Had amazing terrain, great gameplay, bug free triggers. I would definitively approve the map!
Couple of extra points-
>great cinematic feel to all of it.
>storyline kept my interest and was believable.
>not too confusing, or hard.
>Fighting was a bit slow. It was simply pressing a button a couple of times, but that wasn't a huge drawback.

Ratings-
Personal rating: (my thought and rating about it)
5/5
Professional rating:
4/5

Superz
Anything i missed? Let me know!

Level 19
@Superz_Ze_Man,
thanks for this awesome review! It really makes me want to continue at this map, because it's always fun to read feedback and what other people think. I'll try to update the map as fast as possible and add new things and more. :) When updating I'll read your comment and base the updates on your feedback!

The next version will allow you to equip torches to light up the path infront of you :)

@Khaled,
What I now, special effects is shown the same way as the unit is showed. If the unit is 99% transperent, then the sword will be 99% transperent also.

and by the way, have a merry Christmas everybody! :)

Level 11
About the objects. Maybe go through the realism of it? With the explosive casket for instance "the torches are stuck in the ground" but there are plenty of wood you can lit and transfer the fire with. Also there are candles on the table. Also there are 2 spears laying around, why would I use some bone scraps if there are a spear I can use as a weapon? Because this game is in this specific genre these things matter imo. It just makes me really frustrated when I have fire but must to do it in some other way to fit the story.

Work on that and you'll have yourself a nice and unique map!

Best of luck to you :)

Level 8
About the objects... Also there are candles on the table. Also there are 2 spears laying around, why would I use some bone scraps if there are a spear I can use as a weapon?

Yeah, i definitively agree with that. The spears would be easy to make as a weapon, and the candels you could pick up and light unlit fireplaces. But im not sure if i wold replace the rune idea with candels :S Perhaps the fuse needs to be lit with an extra hot flame or something? Il keep playing the map as you update it. Very fun :)

Level 19
About the objects. Maybe go through the realism of it? With the explosive casket for instance "the torches are stuck in the ground" but there are plenty of wood you can lit and transfer the fire with. Also there are candles on the table. Also there are 2 spears laying around, why would I use some bone scraps if there are a spear I can use as a weapon? Because this game is in this specific genre these things matter imo. It just makes me really frustrated when I have fire but must to do it in some other way to fit the story.

Work on that and you'll have yourself a nice and unique map!

Best of luck to you :)

I'm trying to do as much as possible that can be interacted with in the map, this will be exapnded more in the future :) So we'll see what I'll do :)

Edit: I'd like some more peoples downloading the map and give me some reviews! :) It's easier for me to update the map then! :D

Level 9
I bow to your terraining ability,especially since I dont have any :)
I like this map,but there is a bug with the arrow keys,if youre pressing an arrow while talking to NPC then you start spining and there is no end to it..
I havent played a lot,just got to the part where youre supposed to give the letter to the leader..and a guard next to a gate isnt responding.

Apart from that,I really like it :D

Level 19
Finally I'm not busy anymore and can continue updating a little :) When the next update will be released I've got no idea, but hopefully it won't be delayed that much!

Edit: I've made a quick little update for you! :)

• The terrain in the Human City has been updated, yet still not finished.
  • Added music in the human city.
  • Miroeldan now gives the Enchanted Sword as he said.
  • Fixed dialog issues.
  • Added torches in-game, that you can equip to light up the path infront of you.
  • The Goblin Merchant now sells torches.
  • Torches can be found in bags.
  • The Goblin Merchant has lowered the price of the Froz rune to 34 gold pieces!
  • Items with charges will now stack.
  • A Side-quest has been added in the Goblin Fortress! Find it!

The next version I hope will be a bit larger. Also, I will try to implent a system that allow players to "jump" to different parts of the game, so they won't have to re-play everything all the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit (2011-01-25): Well, the progress is a bit slow, currently have a lot to do. Anyway, more feedback would have been awesome! :)

Level 9
Reminds me a lot of these point-click escape flash games, the only bad thing when I tested was the time I took to find the bone in the start, I clicked everywhere and got it by accident, you should put a bigger one there to make players want to click it.

I stopped at when I got a torch, wich was a one time use(hope its not extremelly necessary in the future or there will be more)

I never saw a map like this ever, you must be really good with cameras and this area of triggering that few people know...

I think you should make a moment in the future where you throw a fireball or a net infront of you or something, to damage/disable the goblins.

A introduction cutsene would be nice, the guy being trapped by goblins and than made unconscious with some poison or knocked, but your current intro is good anyways.

+rep

Level 19
Reminds me a lot of these point-click escape flash games, the only bad thing when I tested was the time I took to find the bone in the start, I clicked everywhere and got it by accident, you should put a bigger one there to make players want to click it.

I stopped at when I got a torch, wich was a one time use(hope its not extremelly necessary in the future or there will be more)

I never saw a map like this ever, you must be really good with cameras and this area of triggering that few people know...

I think you should make a moment in the future where you throw a fireball or a net infront of you or something, to damage/disable the goblins.

A introduction cutsene would be nice, the guy being trapped by goblins and than made unconscious with some poison or knocked, but your current intro is good anyways.

+rep

Thanks for the feedback! :)

About the bone, I think I'll leave it as small as it is, the map shouldn't be to easy, right? :)

Why did you stopped when you got the torch? The torches isn't 100% necessary and you can find (or buy) new torches.

Well, cameras may be a speciality from me, even though, the current camera and movement system in the map isn't really awesome yet, it still need updates.

If you've continued the map, you'd noticed that you are able to cast spells (just like this firebolt thing). :)

About the introduction, I've thought of it too, maybe I'll add it in the future! :)

The map looks quite cool. I'm not sure about the goblins as enemies, but I respect your being able to implement them well.

I don't really understand what you mean, but if you test the map, you'll see that the goblins isn't just enemies! :)

Ever played Leraux?
No, I've never even heard of it... Google doesn't give anything when I search at "Leraux" either...

These single player maps just keep getting better and better...

Maybe they are, hehe. Thanks! :)

Level 19
Well, we'll see what I'll do about the sounds. I may create some of my own, we'll see :)

@GhostThruster,
I'll test the map and see how it is! :)

Anyway, the map progress is pretty slow, school projects to do and such, but I really want to continue, have a lot of ideas :D

Edit: I've got a question for you. Do you want me to continue the story or do you want me to expand and improve the first part of the map (then continue at the story when this is done)? :)

Also! Your ideas are always welcome! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.