• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Favourite Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Too many good songs to pick just one.

exactly...I could name a few that I like the most from my favorite bands (not in any specific order), but it ain't just one I favor most:

Metallica:
- Disposable Heroes
- Master of Puppets
- Trapped under ice
- Fight fire with fire
- Motorbreath
- Harvester of sorrow
- ...And justice for all
- Escape
- Metal militia
- Orion

Slayer:
- Crionics
- Tormentor
- Show no mercy
- Altar of Sacrifice
- Behind the crooked cross
- South of Heaven
- Seasons in the Abyss
- Piece by piece
- Cleanse the soul
- Divine intervention
- Bloodline
- Disciple

Pantera:
- The Sleep
- Primal concrete sledge
- This love
- Fucking hostile
- Walk
- Floods
- Cowboys from Hell
- Domination
- Over and out
- Heresy
- Mouth for war
- Rise
- Regular people
- Revolution is my name
- A new level
- Cemetery gates

Arch Enemy:
- Silverwing
- Angelclaw
- Let the killing begin
- Seed of Hate
- Nemesis
- Hybrids of Steel
- My Apocalypse
- Dark of the Sun

In Flames:
- In search for I
- Behind space
- Pinball map
- Trigger
- Cloud connected
- Metaphor
- Dialogue with the Stars
- F(r)iend
- Clad in Shadows
- Everlost 1 & 2
- Lunar Strain
- Reroute to Remain
- Resin
- Reflect the Storm

DevilDriver:
- End of the line
- Meet the wretched
- I could care less
- Die (And DIE NOW)
- Hold back the day
- Digging up the corpses

Sepultura:
- Arise
- Dead embryonic cells
- Infected voice
- Altered state
- Attitude
- Territory
- Refuse resist
- Inner Self
- Necromancer
- Roots bloody Roots

Yeah...kind of a long list, but those are my most favorite songs from my top favorite bands and can't chose between one or another.

Level 14
My favorite song is always changing. One day it will be one song, and then the next day another song.

Usually when the song changes so does the genre. So for sort of "Industrial" rock (dunno if that's right) I like Die Eier von Satan by Tool.
For 80s music, it has recently been The Final Countdown by Europe.
For Current music, my favorites are either Wings for Marie part 2 or Vicarious (both by Tool)
For older music (70s-80s) I currently am in love with Imagine though I must admit I love A Perfect Circle's cover of it.

Yeah yeah I know.. a lot of Tool/Maynard.. just my current mood.

Level 37
X-Japan - Art Of Life

Sputnik Music said:
Never heard of X Japan? Well, if you live in the Western world, I don't blame you. They never so much as made a dent in Europe or the Americas. In Japan, however, it could not be more different. I'll let someone else explain why.

"It would even be an understatement to call this band legendary. It is safe to declare X Japan has been the most influential band in Japan's history and a major landmark in general music history. No, I am not crazy; they are that big."

Yup, that's right - X Japan were pretty much Japan's answer to Led Zeppelin. They were absolutely huge, defining the current state of Japanese rock and metal, and pretty much inventing the visual kei movement to boot.

So why should you care? Most people, sadly, equate Japanese music with disposable pop, so cheesy you can smell it before you hear it (as found on most Anime soundtracks). I won't deny that there's a lot of that, but then again, there's just as much in America, and there's WAY more in Europe. Well, either that, or they think of music from video games. In which case, two words - Nobuo Uematsu.

Like any urbanized country's music industry, though, there is a distinct difference between 'rock' and 'pop'. X Japan definitely fall into the first of the two categories.

The band are the brainchild of Yoshiki, the band's drummer and pianist. He formed X Japan - originally named X, and later changed before an American tour to avoid confusion with the LA punk band - when he was just 12, in 1976. They would eventually split in 1997, after leaving their indelible imprint on both Japanese music, and Japanese culture. Yoshiki would go on to work with artists as diverse as KISS, George Martin (yes, THAT George Martin, Beatles fans), and Roger Taylor (yes, THAT Roger Taylor, Queen fans). Their defining moment came in 1993, with the release of this album, Art Of Life.

Even if you ignore X Japan's cultural relevance, Art Of Life is an extraordinary album. It contains only one song; a song that weaves its way through 29 minutes of classical strings, avant-garde piano and speed metal guitars. It is, as one website claims, Japan's Stairway To Heaven - a multi-layered song with a near-mythical reputation, that crytallizes everything that made the band so great.

By the time Yoshiki wrote Art of Life, he'd been writing music for 17 years. With that sort of experience comes maturity, and maturity is the one thing you really need when attempting a song that almost tips the scales at half an hour. The song never outstays its welcome during that period, nor does it show any evidence of a lack of ideas. Suggesting the song could be seperated is silly and redundant, so well does it work as a complete piece.

The obvious comparison when talking about Art Of Life is Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons. Both are songs that attempt to deal with the meaning of life and a person's passage throughout life, and take on the other weight themes of death and love. Both deal with these themes in suitably a epic manner, running a full gauntlet of moods and textures. And both bands have players with almost scary technical ability (in fact, although Yoshiki never fully stretches his talons here, he is capable of outplaying both Mike Portnoy and Jordan Rudess at their respective instruments - and I don't even feel I need to mention that Toshi is a far better vocalist than LaBrie).

Well, now that the comparison is made, I'll tell you that Art of Life is A Change Of Seasons, times two. Don't get me wrong - A Change Of Seasons was my favourite song of all time for a very long while - but Art of Life is more emotional, diverse, intense, impressive, and epic than Dream Theater's masterpiece. And, as an aside, X Japan don't ruin this album with a bunch of tacky cover versions as bonus tracks.

So, to the song itself.

It begins with clean guitar and piano, before Toshi comes in with the opening lines. "Desert rose....why do you live alone?" At around 3.30, the song appears to blossom out, as harmonized guitars reach outward. A mere 10 seconds later, the song powers itself into a speed-metal frenzy, complete with plenty of Iron Maiden-esque harmonized leads.

The first of many voice-overs starts at 5.30. It's a female voice, seemingly responding to the song's protagonist. It's hard to make out what she's saying. This character re-appears several times during the song.

Just after the 8-minute mark, proggy keyboards appear, backed by what sounds like a string quartet. This segues into a melodic respite from the metal riffing. This might be considered the 'chorus', as it re-appears later to close the song. Toshi's voice trails off as more harmonized leads enter, this time more epic in nature, and sounding a little more like In Flames. For the next two minutes, the two guitars trade lead licks, before another thrashy riff comes in at the 11 miute mark. Yoshiki's drums really pick up in this section, giving a hint of what he's capable of. A string section behind the guitarists gathers in intensity and volume, playing a call-and-response role. It's the musical equivalent of storm clouds gathering.

This breaks down at around 12.30, as circular string passages and more basic instrumentation from the band themselves back another great melody.

After this, the band drops away altogether, leaving the orchestra to play. Another female voiceover comes in, this time mutli-layered, sounding like several conflicting voices pulling your mind in different directions. The chorus reappears again.

And then, the piano solo.

I feel daunted by the very task of describing this piano solo. It's....unreal. Nearly 7 minutes in length, it's without a doubt one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Beginning simply enough, with a plaintive, uneasy melody in the right hand part, the left hand part gradually becomes more and more complex, adding more and more harmony, before it becomes an urgent, jumpy set of chord stabs. The melody returns, and then the chords again. It seems to hinting at a desire to do something, but a simultaneous unwillingness....a dischord appears. Then another. Then another. The beautiful melody gradually dies away, conquered by a series of "wrong" notes. Eventually all sense of key and meter disappears too. We are left with an immense piece, spawned from the world of Penderecki and Xenakis, yet never feeling derivative or contrived. How many rock or metal bands can geuinely count 20th century avant-garde composer such as these as influences? Yoshiki does, and here, he proves it.

The melody reappears 3 minutes later. Again, dischords run over the top of it, but now they seem almost futile. The melody is fighting back, bubbling again to the surface.

This is your first love, set to music. It is your first ever taste of how beautiful love can be, it is your struggle to come to terms with your emtoions, it is your constant self-doubt as you wonder whether to act upon them....it is conceived perfectly. The first time I heard this solo, I felt nostaliga. And that feeling only gets stronger every time I hear it subsequently. That is how powerful this passage is. It is executed and concieved perfectly.

The piano falls back, seemingly exhausted, at around the 23.30 mark. Another string passage comes in, giving the listener a chance to recover from what they've just heard.

How do you follow that? A nuts-out riff fest, that's how!! Returning to earlier passages of the song, Toshi sings with a renewed purpose, beginning to draw the song to its conclusion. A final trimphant comes in just before the 28 minute mark, the piano driving the band forwards.

This is the best music ever. And I have also done a whole wc3 cinematic about it.

Level 36
My favourite song is changing ever couple of days, but for all time?

There are three:

Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
Go With the Flow - Queens of the Stone Age
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

I also have 1444.7 Days of straight listening on my iPod, which equates to 70 GB's over 13 thousand songs. And counting.

Level 28
I like the song, Thrikodius. Is it Metal? Not exactly my favorite style but it's listenable, unlike those Death Metals. :p

I can listen to Death Metal for a short while but not more. Growlin is about the worst part of music I know about.
Pretty Maids mostly do Heavy Metal and Balads.
I chose between Hell on High Heels,
Red Hot and Heavy (intro isn't in this recording)
and Would you Love a Monsterman by Lordi (easy song, learned to play it a few days ago on guitar)
This song gave me my best live experience ever when they played in sweden. You don't have to watch if you don't want to. Just listen.

Level 9
My favorite one song is "one" by Three dog night.

^^

This was the first song i listened to that actually had meaning. That's what got me into the 70's, 80's era music. And I'm sure as hell, glad, that it did. I don't know if i would be the same person listening to that Linkin park shit.

Level 15
Disturbed is my favorite band. My favorite songs are all of them, but some stand out from the rest...

Down with the Sickness
Inside the Fire
Haunted
Indestructable
The Night
Guarded
Ten Thousand Fists
Conflict

Level 21
DeathFromAbove1979-large.jpg

I like a song by Justice called Phantom pt.II

Level 4
My favourite songs are one of the many Iron Maiden has done.
Guess what, yesterday they was playing at Trondheim, a city two hours driving from where I live, i had everything set, bought tickets for me and my buddies half a year ago.
Then, a week ago, I got seriously ill and two days ago i was sent to hospital to be fixed again. so i could not go.
Must be the the top of bad luck huh?

Level 3
I have many "favorite songs" but my favorite band currently is Finntroll. (if that's the band name. >_>)

Level 17
Heres a list of bands I currently have in my PSP that I like...

-Maroon 5
-Dunkan Sheik
-Daniel Powter
-Eminem
-Good Charlotte
-Green Day
-John Legend
-Match Box 20
-Linkin Park
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-All American Rejects
-The Killers
-The Offsprings
-Sandwich
-Sum 41

As you can see, I like any genre of songs... Most are people singing it, and most have a really good beat...

Level 15
The entire Believe album, by Disturbed. INCLUDING:
Believe
Rise
Liberate
Prayer (based on the biblical story of Job)
Darkness (the only metal song with no distortion and beautiful singing... *sob*)
Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.