• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Epidemic [A SC2 Infection Game]

Questions

• Do you like the story? (Yes)

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Do you like the story? (No)

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Do you like the idea that they go to the general store after every night? (Yes)

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Do you like the idea that they go to the general store after every night? (No)

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Do you like the idea that they have to research what kind of infection they have before curing it? (

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • Do you like the idea that they have to research what kind of infection they have before curing it? (

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Should there be more weapons? (Yes)

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Should there be more weapons? (No)

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Interesting idea there, im not sure how easy it would be to code all of the commands but it shouldnt be that hard.
ill add him later tonight with some of my own ideas.

@ Everyone. We are no longer accepting anymore zombie ideas, if you have a brilliant one then PM it to me you can still suggest improvements on the zombies but we arn't creating any new types unless its an exceptional idea.

Move your focus to game mechanic ideas/terrain ideas/attachment/equipment ideas etc.
And i have begun work on a website were i will publish all of the game info and there will be
a forum aswell.

Level 7
Weapon Suggestion

Flamethrower(Tier 1 Hair Spray and Match): A flamethrower made of a can of hairspray and a lighter. Useful for burning zombies and dealing area of effect damage.

Flamethrower(Tier 2 Gas Tank and Lighter): A flamethrower made by taping a small gas tank on a pole with a lighter at the end. Effective against close-ranged boss infected and guarding doorways from hordes of zombies. Can use attachments.

Flamethrower(Tier 3 M2A1-7): A flamethrower used by the american military to burn down foes. Very effective against hordes of zombies and dealing high amounts of damage to stronger infected. Can use attachments.

Ammo Cost: 25$

Thunder Stick(Tier 1 Cattle Prod): A prod used to shock cattle into moving. Effective against individual infected as the shock stuns for a short period of time.

Thunder Stick(Tier 2 Shock Blade): A small knife enhanced with thunder properties with a small battery. Effect against slow moving infected with high hit points.

Thunder Stick(Tier 3 Lightning Sword): A technological sword enchanced with thunder with a special battery developed in japan. Effective for slicing and dicing zombies and killing zombie tanks with its special lightning stun.
Ammo Cost: 0$/5$/25$

Shield(Tier 1 Kevlar Shield): A shield used by local police and the swat team. Usable with one handed weapons like an SMG, Pistol and CQC Weapons.

Shield(Tier 2 Bulletproof Shield): A shield used by some swat members. Able to block out most attacks. Like most shields, it is only usable with one handed weapons.

Shield(Tier 3 Shock Shield): A shield sometimes found on the hands of FBI agents. Able to block out many attacks and will deliver a shock to any zombie willing to attack it. It uses the same attachment rules as any other shield.

Level 9
Nice ideas, im loving the flamethrower alot. I think im gonna change the shields to armor but
will be almost the same nonetheless.

@Everyone:

I have decided on the general game type. It will no longer get from point A to B in 28 days!
The map no revolves around this sytem:

The game starts, all players are in the general store, you have a few minutes to buy
equipment and weapons, buy what you need. Then the game teleports them to one of
the many bases around the map.
What is your mission? Survive 28 days in this base. If your GPS gets destroyed or you
all die the game is over, the GPS is located in the farthest part back in your base its
an orange box on the maps i have drawn. The catch is that during the night you must
defend your base but during the day you must create a party to go into town to
scavenge for food,equipment, and survivors. If you find survivors it will add to your
score at the end of the game and they will fight by your side until all of you have fallen.
But keep in mind that there are still zombies in the day but they are much easier, stay
together and watch the clock, if your not back in base by sun down your all screwed.

This is an example of an overhead view of the bases.
Key: Oval groups = sandbags
Green circles = Purchasable turrets
Orange box = GPS

Base1.gif

Do you like it?
-Bane

Level 35
@zombie2279 out of curiousity why are you going to have to rework them? The idea of
the icons is that they match the border and color scheme of the game, they dont have
to be identical to the acual sc2 icons but let me know what you have in mind.

I find the older ones (the ones that were originally with glow) lacking with the SC2 borders. I think I'll detail them a bit more and sharpen them.

By the way, I'll keep making the required icons for Warcraft, so you can they can be used in both games and converting them will be a lot easier than drawing them again. You might want to visit the icons section more often.

Level 9
@ GrandEnder: good idea ill add in a few destructible/purchasable sandbags.

@ zombie2279: Alright sounds good.

Last edited:
Level 9
Cool idea but we're tryin to keep it modern, if you can modernize that into something that exists today thatd be awesome!

@Everyone: New base design, border patrol base xD:

Base2-1.gif

-Bane

Last edited:
Level 5
New Mission write up made my T3h B055:
MissionwriteupforEpidemiccopy.jpg
[/IMG]

Hard Copy:

The Story:
In the year 2028, the flu virus has been
manifesting as usual, a different strain every year what else is new?
Every year the flu changes itself,
and this has been the deal for a long time.
Or so it was.
As scheduled the vaccine for the new flu was found. However, unknown to us
the vaccine had been contaminated on its way to the United States.
And thus a new virus was born. It immediately crossed species and infected
most if not all the animals in the surrounding area.
It seemed that after 24 hours nearly everyone was infected, NEARLY
everyone. You and several other people in your town were able to stay not infected,
as your town was no where near any cities, where the virus struck.
But that is over, the zombies can smell flesh, and your secluded town won't remain
secluded for long.
There is more bad news,
the virus has a relatively long lifespan for those it infects and airborne.
The suspected degeneration of the virus is around HALF A YEAR.
Your best bet is to wait the 28 days
that the survivors at the USMC (United States Marine Corps),
said they would need to send a rescue squad to your position.
You are vital to rebuilding this world.

Your mission: Survive the long 28 days and nights defending your
GPS unit so the shuttle can get you out of there. Can you survive? Can you
live to tell the tale of how almost all civilization on the earth was eradicated?
We'll see...

-----------
Hope ya like it.

Level 9
I like it i made my own modifications to it and put it on the front page :)
3rd base design completed:

Base3.gif

If you have a good idea for a base, post it here.
-Bane

Last edited:
Level 9
@GrandEnder yeah it is, im proud
@t3h b055, well for a first attempt its not that bad :p

Level 5
hehe more like second XDDDD, you know what im talking about bane =P. Anyways do you get the basic outline? i realize i butchered the 2nd floor but what ever.

------
Oh hey on the Equipment tab, where you have Vicodin, you should change that to Morphine, both painkillers, but morphine is more powerful and is taken by injection. Or did you want to have "Pain pills" as in L4D?

Level 9
Morphine/Vicodin somewhat the same thing as you said their both painkillers, maybe we'll have both, not sure yet.

@Everyone: This is what the purchasable turrets look like:

turret.jpg

-Bane

Level 9
look at it noob, its a regular turret. The only thing different is that theres a guard blocking the sides of it so it doesnt get owned...

Level 1
I like the story but it needs a bit improvement.
I have some questions & i tried to answer them too.

Q Why all the players are in the general store in beginning?
A When the people came to know about the infection they thought the best way to get away from it was to barricade the people in a place with least radiation emission so the infected species cannot sense them. The people found that the houses were emitting radiations due to the gadgets so they barricaded themselves into the general store & turned off almost ever way by which radiations may give away their position.

Qwhy the people have to go back to their houses or the positions you mentioned?
ABecause they know that they cannot hide in the general store forever & they have to transmit there position to the authorities so they can get out of the fear they are currently living in. So after they get all the supplies they can afford for the time being they use teleport capsules(which are one way only due to lack of advancement in their secluded village) to get to the strategic places from where the experts have said the signal will be best transmit to the authorities.

Qwhy someone has to choose when the game starts? Doesn't seem realistic.:eekani:
ABecause the people have to decide when they have to start transmitting signal. They just cannot have a weak signal being transmitted because it will not reach the authorities but only to the infected species so they wait till everyone is ready & then they start to transmit signals by their GPS together.

Some things that can be improved
>The people do not have to go to the general store each day. It appears way too repetitive. They have to go only after 5 or some days to get batteries for their GPS & other merchandise. Also if they go to the general store each day it may appear as if they are out of danger.
>The general store also has some guards. Otherwise if its invulnerable it would be unrealistic.
>The general store only has some merchandise. The people have to go to different places for buying weapons, armors etc. otherwise it would look unrealistic.

Level 1
Suggestion: Make the general store an area instead of a teleportation area. Create a town instead of a barricaded house. Make it a town so that you have to rush to the helipad.
Maybe i missed something but isn't Bane saying that people will be teleported to certain places in a town already? I haven't read the whole thread but just initial part of 1st post so i may be wrong.

Level 5
Here:

When the people came to know about the infection they thought the best way to get away from it was to barricade the people in a place with least radiation emission so the infected species cannot sense them. The people found that the houses were emitting radiations due to the gadgets so they barricaded themselves into the general store & turned off almost ever way by which radiations may give away their position.

Qwhy the people have to go back to their houses or the positions you mentioned?
ABecause they know that they cannot hide in the general store forever & they have to transmit there position to the authorities so they can get out of the fear they are currently living in.
----------

Now, if you read these two statements you say that they have to barricade themselves in the general store because it has the least radiation emission. You also state that houses have too much emission. However, in the second quote you state that they have to go back to houses, so basically they are killing themselves. But from what you said they HAVE to stay in the general store as it has the lowest emission. Rework them answers.

Level 9
@ Everyone talking about the story.

1. I changed the whole game, how players are in a base for the entire game and they sent parties into town to scavenge for food/equipment.

2. The general store is an actual place now and there is a town

3. There will be at the end of the game a point where the helicopter comes to the middle of the town and everyone has to fight their way to it, get the adrenaline pumpin eh?

Any more questions?

Also: We dont need to develop the story that much because the players arnt gonna read it, their gonna see one very shot cutscene at the start of the game so it doesnt have to be elaborate.

Level 1
In first post in the index
The Team
Story
Game Mechanics
Weapons
Equipment
Zombies

All these are linked but the links not working.

Level 9
Zelda, yes the links are working, they are anchor links and just take you to points in the page.

Grandender, plz explain a little more

Level 9
Yes i have noticed that and it is unnecisscary that you post it here as:
That project is dead for the most part
And this is a starcraft 2 map not warcraft.

So thx for noticing but it was a waste of both of our time.

@Everyone: I did a quick block out render of the first base this is what it turned out (the central
area is way too squished by you get the idea):

Base1_Render.jpg

-Bane

Level 7
It sounds good but I have one major gripe with it, its a zombie survival type game right? Well where are the zombies? The only units you've shown us are Zerg units,, whilst they look mutated they DON'T look like zombies and as scary as the shambler is it just dosnt have what zombies have in terms of creepyness. I think you need a more human looking main grunt type enemy otherwise you may as well rename this to a Zerg infection game.

Maybe you could edit the current zombie model from wc3, add better graphixs to it and use it instead.

Level 5
It sounds good but I have one major gripe with it, its a zombie survival type game right? Well where are the zombies? The only units you've shown us are Zerg units,, whilst they look mutated they DON'T look like zombies and as scary as the shambler is it just dosnt have what zombies have in terms of creepyness. I think you need a more human looking main grunt type enemy otherwise you may as well rename this to a Zerg infection game.

Maybe you could edit the current zombie model from wc3, add better graphixs to it and use it instead.

--------
Hmm you have a good point actually, i have no idea what the zombie will look like.

Level 9
@Grandender. Thanks, and good question i cant really determine a unit range atm because i dont know the units that starcraft 2 uses but in real life probably about 10-20 yards.

@Marhsmalo. I know what your getting at here but i dont really feel enthusiastic about making
a very nice zombie model, texturing it, diffuse mapping and normal mapping it. The quality of the starcraft 2 models is about 50x more difficult to achieve than warcraft 3.

Level 9
Yeah i am going to but iv been really occupied lately will school, track, skiing, skating, and making the epidemic website.
Ill add her as soon as i get around to it.

@ Everyone: We are in need of zombie models, if you can find a medium poly zombie model that will blend nicely with the models from starcraft two let me know.
I would really like to find some that are already created so i dont have to model my own :D

Level 19
What about making the scavenging team able to break into buildings (at a risk of course) and steal items for survival, like entering a garage and stealing the dead kids baseball bat. In that way you will get standard items for backup or something like that.

Also, if you are going to survive 28 days, you need food and water, make the scavenging team able to steal such supplies from houses, fridges, slaughterhouses, groceries etc. and make it so that you can survive 2 days without water and 4 days without food, but you get exhausted by 2 days without food.

More Gear:
"MacGyver-Kit" - Duct-Tape, Swiss Army Knife and Toilet Paper, Can be used to Quick Repair Barricades and Broken Gear, and an Improvised First Aid Kit. (actually works, Duct-Tape + Toilet Paper = Great Bandage)
Shovel - Can be used to dig pits outside the Base at day time, and useful for banging zombie-heads at night.
Sledge - Great to bash opponents with, breaks anything but metal.
Pipe Bomb - Improvised Explosive, Explosive material set into a metal tube.
Molotov Coctail - Everybody likes this, Explosive mix of burning liquid
Napalm - Can be made of household stuff: Gelatine and Glyserol or Petrol and Soap, can detonate if not mixed carefully.
Metal Pipe - Great at hitting zombies, durable enough to break teeth, claws and fangs.
Gas Tank - Gas under Pressure, can be ignited by heat or open flame, not by shooting tough (proved by Mythbusters, I belive you have something like this already, just updating facts, most gas tanks wont explode when shot at, but the weak, small ones will.)
Tracer Rounds - Your bullets light up the darkness. Can ignite Petrol and other flameable liquids.
Dynamite - You know what I'm talking about
Matches - To light things up abit
Lighter - More Effective than matches, can be thrown at a wall, making a loud bang and distracting zombies.

And maybe you can add car wrecks as a barricade. And an alternative to sandbags in a Workshop/garage base might be Tires. And maybe add the ability to arm car bombs.

Garage Base:
Xtra Key: Black Baricade - Tires

Attachments

• Garage Base.jpg
    Garage Base.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 9
Gyrosphinx, awesome ideas!
I love all of the equipment ideas you came up with and your base idea.
I'm going to add them to the website and hopefully get around to adding um to the first post.
Keep um comin :)

Level 19
Yes Sir

What if the heli that tries to pick you up is overrun by zombies? like when it lands you have to make it to it in a certain time or it will be overrun by the zombies, then you'll lose or you have to survive even longer (Player Vote).

Last edited:
Level 7
Item Suggestion
Key 1007: Unlocks the door to the garage 1007. Garage 1007 is a garage holding military equipment. Held by the zombie General Fred who uses a pistol.

Key 764: Unlocks the door to 764 oak street. Inside holds the chainsaws of the future created by Bob Hills, who has reincarnated into a zombie with a chainsaw.

Key 11341: A key to activate the droid 11341 who can support survivors on their run to the helipad. Droid 11341 can smash the ground and throw concrete at foes but if attacked enough, it can be destroyed or become controlled by a banshee.

Level 9
@ jadegolem, i like your ideas alot. one thing is that we're trying to keep it modern as it takes place in 2010.
I think what ill do is keep your locations but have boss mobs that come for the players drop the keys, that way they will have the key before finding the location.

@ Gyro, i was playin with this idea a while ago but thanks for bringing it up again because i forgot about it.
What i'm planning on doing is having the heli land in the center of city and the bases are on the outside rim of the city.
This way when the heli lands they have to fight their way to it.
If you don't make it within a certain amount of time (amount based on selected difficulty)
then you will pretty much get owned by zombies. Keep the ideas comin, i really appriciate it.

Announcement
Alright i have a few questions to ask all posters, i request that you all put the answers in your future posts.

1: Once the players enter the heli should they have to fight off flying infected and others while their flying away? yes/no
2: How many bases should there be? number
3: Should the players be able to choose their base or should it be random? choice/random
4: Should there be a food/water system involved, where you need to eat and drink or else you will get dizzy/sloppy and eventually die unless you eat drink? yes/no

Thanks for your support,
-Tom

Level 9
Alot jadegolem thanks for your votes.
If you wanna start throwin some ideas at me for base ideas, like the setting of the bases, you dont have to draw them as it takes some time, you can just start throwin out ideas of some places that you think bases should take place.

@Everyone, we are now open to game mechanic ideas!
What are these? Game mechanic ideas are ideas about the mechanics of the game, holy shit!
Basically the different systems in the game, so start throwing suggestions like how we should handle the food/water system, the scoring system, should there be savable ranks, should players be able to start as infected if they want?, etc. We are also still accepting equipment and weapon ideas aswell as exception infected ideas.

-Bane

{EDIT}
@ Everyone, i'm making good progress on the website and it should be up in 1-3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
By this you meen like, to make a pipebomb you need a piece of PVC and a piece of explosive material?

{EDIT}
I present our map preview (what will show up on battle.net custom games list):

Preview-4.jpg

Cheers,
-Bane

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Sound pretty BA and well thought out. I can do the hosting position and Terrain Concept. I could sketch out what the terrain would be, but I'm no pro at drawing, but I can draw mostly anything but people. (Which is why terrain fits better :p) I also plan to buff up my terraining skills in SC2 anyway so this would be a fitting start. I don't have a scanner to upload drawings to the computer but I do got a camera as the next best thing and might get a scanner. I have free time most of the time and would be available for any next steps or whatever.

Thats all I could write up on the spot, if you want to ask questions, just PM me.

Level 9
I appriciate your interest in the project and if you want to toss a few ideas here and there thatd be cool but i dont really want people that steal others work to be on my team, if you can find a way of redeeming yourself for plagerizing someone elses map i will reconsider, sorry.

-Bane

Status
Not open for further replies.