1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King has a new champion. The results for the 19th Icon Contest are here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

ENB for WarCraft 3

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by Spellbound, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    For people with category OCD: I believe ENB, although not specific to WarCraft 3, technically is a third-party tool and so I've decided to post it here instead of the Artist's Section, for instance. Please don't bite my head off.

ENB?
    Alright, why ENB? Because WarCraft 3 is pretty dated and I for one like pretty graphics. If there was an HQ remake of this game with new engine and stuff I'd be the first to buy it, but as we all know, that has as much chance of happening as a million dollars magically landing on my lap.

This said, I have extremely limited knowledge of editing ENBs and so I wasn't able to accomplish quite what I intended, but to me there is a definite improvement. If you are familiar with editing ENB, please please please please try your hand at it! I'm very curious what other people can do with it to make Wc3 look better :)

DOWNLOAD

Comparison

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Version

DOWNLOAD THE ENB

Menu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In-Game 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In-Game 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, some of you might think it the reverse of an improvement, that it's too dark and maybe the subtle bloom annoys you. That's perfectly understandable, and the beauty of it all is you can customise it to your own preferences if you know how. In fact, I'd actually love to see what you can do with it since I haven't really seen anything particularly impressive as far as ENB is concerned for wc3.

There's rudimentary documention on the website, so go check it out if you're interested.

Credits

I should also mention that the initial setting are not mine. I got them from an add-on for a WarCraft mod, which I then modified. So credits goes to them, and of course the ENB developer Boris Voronstov.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1. Fatal Error. (edit: sorry, scrap that. I forgot I was already injecting my own crap into d3d9, and enb doesn't like that)
    2. Sorry, but it looks like crap.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Lol, well I mainly posted that so people who actually know how to edit ENB would make one that didn't suck, and make the first post like a repository for people's settings and such. I modified my own settings a bit since uploading and I'll keep tweaking it to see if I can't get better results.

Altho 'crap' isn't very constructive and doesn't tell me what you don't like about it. If you mean it's too dark, then yes, I kinda agree, altho I was aiming for a moody feel.

4. Ragon.Slear

Ragon.Slear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you make tutorial to install it??
    I always failed, in NFSMW, GTASA, and now this
    Its not work, so please make it

5. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Maybe define what ENB is and what it means?

6. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    To install it you just have to extract the contents of the RAR file in your root WarCraft 3 folder (the same folder where the Warcraft III.exe file will be). To uninstall, delete the files that were extracted :)

Oh, my bad, I assumed it was popular enough that people already knew what it is. Here's the description from its website.

the tl;dr version is that ENB adds new graphical effects to a game, like SSAO, depth of field, bloom, HDR, and so on. For the ENB I provided it only has bloom (and possibly HDR, I'm not sure lol), and I also provided a palette that enhances the contrast and darkens the overall view for a moodier feel, altho it does intensify lights.

7. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    oh... I see... so a graphics enhancer...

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So basically this makes the visuals "better" by messing up lighting so I can hardly see anything and need to up screen brightness? Something tells me I prefer the sharp visuals of standard WC3 as they are not only less resource intensive but also clearer.

The tool seems to perform histogram adjustments on the resulting image. Similar to what I did for my avatar, this increases the range of brightness in an image letting it appear sharper as there is a greater gradient in brightness.

Games generally avoid using full brightness ranges since players often have their displays set incorrectly resulting in darks being invisible and brights hurting viewer eyes. That said, a lot of well made games do come with a brightness testing image to allow you to adjust display settings so the game can take advantage of a full brightness range.

The reason Warcraft III night time is so bright is because players need to be able to see what they are doing. If you make realistic nights such as what StarCraft II can do you can often find yourself completely blind, not a nice situation for an RTS game which is micro orientated. The map Undead Assault 3 in StarCraft II shuts off all ambient lighting during some missions forcing the players to use light sources or fumble around in the dark with only health bars to tell monster locations.

9. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Updated the ENB. The changes are very subtle now. Check OP.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That still does not fix the problem that making stuff have a greater variance on the histogram does not make it look better.

Just look at what it is doing to the minimap, making that darker when the entire purpose of the mini-map is to be bright and visible.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  11. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well it depends what you mean by better. If you mean more effective, then maybe it doesn't, but it does make it look prettier - more vibrant, if you want specifics.

Personally don't find it handicapping - I barely notice a difference with the newer settings. If anything, the version without the palette actually makes the minimap icons stand out more. and the terrain is still very much visible.

ENB isn't to everybody's liking, I get that. I posted this for awareness more than anything since making a good ENB can be pretty challenging.

12. RandomPogi

RandomPogi

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do I make this work for macs? I can't make it work with Shift+F12. Is there some way to change the toggle button?

13. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think some ENB configurations update shaders so the game is rendered better.

Does this do that? If it's just effects then I'll pass..

14. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shaders didn't exist (as core feature) at the time WC3 was created, so I think not.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Since it required Direct 3D 8, I would believe that it did use shaders. Just they used a much older shader language version which lacked many of the features we take advantage of today.

16. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, I wasn't aware that D3D had shaders before GL (even as extensions), you learn new things every day!

On a side note, assembler shaders...so bloody old.

17. Strikest

Strikest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's too dark. Look at what you did to the icons, can you honestly say it looks better? And as mentioned before it's not practical for gameplay purposes.