• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[EmberCraft] Reforged or Classic?

Reforged or Classic?

• Reforged

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Classic

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
So, I've started to continue working on EmberCraft next update. But at this point, I don't know whether to adapt the map to reforged graphic or stay at classic. I personally think it looks good enough in classic? Indeed some extra lightning detail and shadow would be nice improvements, but given it's current state (poor performance and all that) I'm not sure to go for it. My guts tell me that the performance will get better over time, but no one can be sure.

At a glimpse, supporting both classic and reforged seems to be be quite troublesome. So I prefer to stick with one side, for now. Let me know your opinion. Or maybe as fellow map maker, do you prefer to stick with classic or port your map project to reforged?

Level 1
I say do whatever takes the least work and maintenance, which would probably be sticking with Classic. If Blizzard ever makes Reforged performance improvements, which is possible but not very likely, then maybe it would be worth making the switch.

Level 5
Blizzard could very well make their promise of full compatibility of old custom maps true, and only update the assets/lighting effect and change some input-based map-editing without changing the previously accepted and used format. In other words, I'd stick to classic and await blizzard to make classic maps compatible with Reforged or make it very easy (just a few changes, probably in Pathing and Trigger-Placements, or whatevs) to switch to it.

Level 6
If you're using a ton of models / doodads that don't translate well between reforged and classic, I'd just lock your graphics in classic and keep developing on the newest versions. I think this will reach the most players, but it's up to you. I'm working on a map for both modes, and it is indeed a pain / time sink trying to keep it legible for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.