• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim ! {lulz?^^}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Although I would probably rate it about 8/10 I very much agree with your review. In fact I found it to be the most accurate review i've read so far, including tons of "professional game critics". I feel like many of the bugs and annoyances you adress date back to Oblivion and should have been fixed in Skyrim.
That being said, I am still a fan of the elder scrolls - but I admit I enjoyed Oblivon abit more back in those days. I would still recommend Skyrim though - I only disagree with the insane amounts of 9,5/10 or 10/10 it has been given, as there are clearly things to be improved.

Thanks for a good read.

Level 13
It's all about watching perspective. Those really loved old TES Games, and who likes RPGs love Skyrim, that would be my guess. But some people just don't mind bugs, they walk thouth them. And some can notice a bug on 50 meters. I'm in middle of that two. But still i can't find lots of bugs, thx to my poor pc, preloading in game that you don't see, i can see, it freezes game a bit, for 1 sec up to 3. But what i noticed is that game is really poor on lightning, it's all gray, reminds me on Assassins Creed 1, that game was bothering me with all that gray... But in skyrim if you play on ultra, it's not so gray, also there are mods for that a lot of mods. www.skyrimnexus.com most visited site, for all Bethesda games : Fallout 3 , Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Dragon age, the witcher.... etc..

well I WAS terribly disappointed when they took the combat lines out...

"I'VE FOUGHT MUDCRABS MORE FEARSOME THAN YOU!"
"THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU FALL DOWN AND BLEED TO DEATH!!!!!!!!"
"HARAGHGHARHAHGH!!!!!!!"
"I'M JUST WARMING UP, YOU PATHETIC LITTLE WORM!!!"

and the wonderful "I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty creatures." dialogue between randoms in towns. Which M'aiq the Liar actually repeats in this game.

however the swearing mudcrabs mod is absolutely great, you won't ever attack a mudcrab without entertainment again if it says, "ah fuck goddamnit motherfucker" to you

Level 22
But what i noticed is that game is really poor on lightning, it's all gray, reminds me on Assassins Creed 1, that game was bothering me with all that gray... But in skyrim if you play on ultra, it's not so gray, also there are mods for that a lot of mods. www.skyrimnexus.com most visited site, for all Bethesda games : Fallout 3 , Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Dragon age, the witcher.... etc..

What the hell are you talking about? Setting the game to ultra doesn't change colors, it changes things like resolution. And besides, the game isn't really gray at all, except when it rains.

And there's hardly any of it in Assassin's Creed either. I honestly don't think you know what gray looks like.

Level 13
Ramza, Talavaj posted pictures, thx Talavaj.
And yes, Ultra settings improve lightning, if you didn't notice FXAA,AA, all that gives better lightning,glow, and in Options , Advanced :
Light fade (lower game is more gray, cause no lights come, no atmosphere);
Specularity fade (again, lower the specularity.. simple)
Distant object detail (on-off;low-high; says it self, if you put it on low, objects will more have color of atmoshere cause of their distance, the higher, objects will have more detail)
Edit : About Assassins creed, I didn't mean global lightning, you know when they take you back to room, or when there are tutorials, it's gray. Also there is 1 city, ugly, and all gray, idk it's name.
Edit2: Did you notice not realistic ragdoll physics ? proof
:)

"HARAGHGHARHAHGH!!!!!!!"

and the wonderful "I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty creatures." dialogue between randoms in towns. Which M'aiq the Liar actually repeats in this game.

however the swearing mudcrabs mod is absolutely great, you won't ever attack a mudcrab without entertainment again if it says, "ah fuck goddamnit motherfucker" to you

I'm a khajiit and sometimes the enemies say stuff like "You'll make a fine rug, cat!" and "My cousin had a cat once. Killed that too!"

sometimes they also say things like "'Tis but a scratch!"

Level 17
Last edited:
Level 22
I should note that holding down the Z makes all the shouts you have more powerful, in case you weren't fully aware of that yet :p

But good to hear you learned something new :D

-I personally just spent a lot of time stacking stuff in my house in solitude and getting my deadric armor up to full specs. Now I just need to utilize my 100 in illusion to see what I can get of powerful spells in the area. (I received it with ease by firing calm from a cliff down in a forsworn camp.. hitting more than one as a time gave me almost a entire point just for one throw).

A side note: I checked the bug section on the Skyrim wiki I use and found no mention of a bug with equip, though I did find a lot of other bugs I've by pure luck seem to have avoiced by doing the workaround from the start or following a good order of solving quests.

Are you sure you can channel all shouts? The fire breath for example burst immediately upon activation, regardless if you hold the key.

Level 49

"HARAGHGHARHAHGH!!!!!!!"

But... They're still there? :(

Just not the same ones as in Oblivion. 200 years have passed, after all, trends changed and all. They say stuff like "SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!", "I'LL SEE YOU BURN!", "You remind me of my cousin's cat. Killed that, too!", "You'll make a fine rug, cat!", etc.

Except this time, they're actually related to your race and such. The last two are Khajiit only. I know that orcs have something like "Die, you Orc filth!" or something because my friend plays an orc. I guess they have a line for everyone. I guess they don't say "SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!" if you're a Nord yourself, too.
At least, that's my experience with bandits and conjurers\mages\necromancers.

@Talavaj - Only Markrath is actually gray. And it also depends on the weather and such. There could be a bright, sunny day, and then Markarth will be all yellowy and golden, at least on medium-high graphics.

Are you sure you can channel all shouts? The fire breath for example burst immediately upon activation, regardless if you hold the key.

You need to learn two or three words of a shout in order to be able to channel it. For instance, you start with "Fus", but later you will find a stone that will teach you "Ro"(alternatively, the Greybeards do the same thing, I think), and finally "Dah". If you press the button to shout for just a short while, you'll get only "Fus". If you hold it for a little longer, you'll get "Fus Ro". If you hold it for even longer, it'll be "Fus Ro DAH!". The same applies to all shouts(Marked for Death, Whirlwind Sprint, Frost Breath, Elemental Fury - Those I can confirm.)

BTW, anyone else finding Elemental Fury EXTREMELY awesome? It's the main reason I don't want to enchant my weapons(doesn't work on enchanted weapons). I mean, I can pretty much kill anything with it, from bandit to dragon, assuming I don't die... And potions seem to do the job just fine.

Level 22

could use a little more color and a little less LotR "references" or "homages"
(or what I call poor excuse for plagiarism)

And in both those pictures it's about to rain (or misty), which is the only time when there's any gray lightning. These complaints are getting crazier and crazier. I'll just ignore the ''LotR plagiarism'' thing.

Ramza, Talavaj posted pictures, thx Talavaj.
And yes, Ultra settings improve lightning, if you didn't notice FXAA,AA, all that gives better lightning,glow, and in Options , Advanced :
Light fade (lower game is more gray, cause no lights come, no atmosphere);
Specularity fade (again, lower the specularity.. simple)
Distant object detail (on-off;low-high; says it self, if you put it on low, objects will more have color of atmoshere cause of their distance, the higher, objects will have more detail)

None of those settings change the fucking colors of lightning! You can't change it. Just like you can't change the color of textures. And this especially: ''objects will more have color of atmoshere cause of their distance'' doesn't make any sense at all. It doesn't work that way. To change the colors of the game, you'll need MODS.

@Talavaj - Only Markrath is actually gray. And it also depends on the weather and such. There could be a bright, sunny day, and then Markarth will be all yellowy and golden, at least on medium-high graphics.

Yeah, exactly.

Level 22
But... They're still there? :(

Just not the same ones as in Oblivion. 200 years have passed, after all, trends changed and all. They say stuff like "SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!", "I'LL SEE YOU BURN!", "You remind me of my cousin's cat. Killed that, too!", "You'll make a fine rug, cat!", etc.

Except this time, they're actually related to your race and such. The last two are Khajiit only. I know that orcs have something like "Die, you Orc filth!" or something because my friend plays an orc. I guess they have a line for everyone. I guess they don't say "SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!" if you're a Nord yourself, too.
At least, that's my experience with bandits and conjurers\mages\necromancers.

You need to learn two or three words of a shout in order to be able to channel it. For instance, you start with "Fus", but later you will find a stone that will teach you "Ro"(alternatively, the Greybeards do the same thing, I think), and finally "Dah". If you press the button to shout for just a short while, you'll get only "Fus". If you hold it for a little longer, you'll get "Fus Ro". If you hold it for even longer, it'll be "Fus Ro DAH!". The same applies to all shouts(Marked for Death, Whirlwind Sprint, Frost Breath, Elemental Fury - Those I can confirm.)

BTW, anyone else finding Elemental Fury EXTREMELY awesome? It's the main reason I don't want to enchant my weapons(doesn't work on enchanted weapons). I mean, I can pretty much kill anything with it, from bandit to dragon, assuming I don't die... And potions seem to do the job just fine.

Oh I see.

By any chance do you know how much attack the magic spell that summons a sword gives? I need to know if I should use a real sword or this magic sword to deal more damage.

Level 17
the second pic is under almost flawless weather conditions actually and during early noon
it's not about "being gray" it's more about one hue making details blend in or disappear
but then yeah I'm a saturation/contrast hoar

and random
luckily I have pretty much all enchants done but looking at how I have grand gems filled with petty souls just makes me shake my head over whoever thought that crap up

also to those with conjuration, don't waste a perk on master level skills even with perks in atronachs they are actually still quite weak
that and you don't need permanent atronachs, really they are a nuisance at best (getting stuck in doors in dungeons cuz of their size)
you will do well with normal ones besides even expert storm atronach is only 95mp with expert perk alone while master degree is three times as much
so you can conjure two when you actually need them for the price of one that would die soon anyway
and if you will ever need/want a permanent atronach you can summon them anyway, with a single item with -25% conjuration cost the mp cost for all three should be below 500 which I suppose every mage has
besides.. dremora lord is still stronger anyway

bound sword with perk in conjuration is equal to glass sword (14 damage) however it has no enchants and upgraded swords via smithing are much better
bound weapons damage seems to raise with appropriate weapon level (??) and usual weapon perks/enchants still apply

and yeah:

edoras_v_whiterun.jpg

also Markarth is more than inspired after the Helms Deep, it even has the grate that was the weakest spot of the Helms deep
Whiterun's emblem is very reminiscent of the flag of Rohan
and the tree is pretty much the white tree of Gondor from Minas Tirith

well... errr let's not call it "plagiarism" but "homage" then, that will sound less derogatory
but they could be a little more original in making original homages

Last edited:
Level 13
None of those settings change the fucking colors of lightning! You can't change it. Just like you can't change the color of textures. And this especially: ''objects will more have color of atmoshere cause of their distance'' doesn't make any sense at all. It doesn't work that way. To change the colors of the game, you'll need MODS.
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, go play Skyrim on low graphic, all settings low, put resolution to 800x600 and texture quality to whatever you want and go and play. I can show you that every fuc*ing place is gray, few aren't on lower graphics.
Edit : And then try to get settings higher and you'll see difference.
Edit 2: Gray this won't change, BUT it will be at bigger distance and with AA And FXAA it will more beatiful, no more gray.

Level 49
One of the best parts in Elder Scrolls games is the storyline.
If you don't do the main quests... You're missing up on the storyline.
So I suggest you do them. Personally, I didn't get that far with it. I want to finish up with the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood, and then see if I want to join the Stormcloaks or the Imperials, and finally, finish the Mages' College... And THEN I'll continue with the main storyline.

Are the main quests really over now that I killed that world eater 2 times?
Kind of won't be the same without a leading quest.

You've got:

- Companions
- Thieves' guild
- Dark brotherhood
- Bard's college
- Mage's college thingy
- the civil war

plus a fuckton of side quests

plus, you know, you can always just go around and explore by yourself!

Level 8
and yeah:

edoras_v_whiterun.jpg

also Markarth is more than inspired after the Helms Deep, it even has the grate that was the weakest spot of the Helms deep
Whiterun's emblem is very reminiscent of the flag of Rohan
and the tree is pretty much the white tree of Gondor from Minas Tirith

well... errr let's not call it "plagiarism" but "homage" then, that will sound less derogatory
but they could be a little more original in making original homages

It's Edoras, not Helms. ^^ sorry for the lorenazi

Level 17
It's Edoras, not Helms. ^^ sorry for the lorenazi
fail troll is fail

Talavaj said:
also Markarth is more than inspired after the Helms Deep
that line is obviously not related to the picture above, that's Whiterun not Markarth (it's even written on the pic ffs, seriously did you think I'm that dumb ? :D)

this is what I meant

pretty epic city, not so apparent LotR influence as Whiterun but yeah, it's my favourite out of Skyrim's towns second being Falkreath (damn lazy devs not allowing me to buy a property there, I hope they will put some via patch or something...)
too bad Markarth is rotten
at lvl 48 I have around 65 hours playtime, and around 20% of my map is still hidden, not to mention I ran into a couple of locked dungeons and I have no thane title other than the Whiterun one

hence "And now I got nowhere to go aww." is not very credible

I knew that Whiterun was a reference to Edoras, but I hadn't picked up on the helm's deep thing, pretty observant of you
I didn't mean all the combat lines got taken out, just the best ones like references to mudcrabs :- )

well i'm now on 72 hours of play. and i haven't joined the thieves guild, i've just barely joined the dark brotherhood on another character, i just joined the companions and beat some guy, i haven't talked to any jarls other than whiterun and solitude, i've barely spent any time at all in any of the cities. and my map is hardly filled up either. there is soooo much to do!

Level 11
fuck...!!! dam thieves guild quests are bugged for me =\ i cant go inside this dudes house cause it was destroyed during the war.... it was the last trophy i needed to get platinum :(

dam... =\ 114 hours i played, im guessing thats a lot xD

Level 22
fail troll is fail

that line is obviously not related to the picture above, that's Whiterun not Markarth (it's even written on the pic ffs, seriously did you think I'm that dumb ? :D)

this is what I meant

pretty epic city, not so apparent LotR influence as Whiterun but yeah, it's my favourite out of Skyrim's towns second being Falkreath (damn lazy devs not allowing me to buy a property there, I hope they will put some via patch or something...)
too bad Markarth is rotten
at lvl 48 I have around 65 hours playtime, and around 20% of my map is still hidden, not to mention I ran into a couple of locked dungeons and I have no thane title other than the Whiterun one

hence "And now I got nowhere to go aww." is not very credible

That doesn't fucking look like Helm's Deep to me. 'Nuff said lol. :ogre_icwydt:

Level 17
matte_helms_deep.jpg

it looks a lot like helms deep to me IMO
it does have the grate in its wall and also the centered tower
it's famed for its impenetrable defense cause of being situated in a mountainside

just that Markarth is actually designed for living not just a fortress and it looks a lot better than Helms deep overall
may not be a direct homage like Whiterun but its clear where the inspiration came from

shame they didn't attempt to implement something like Rivendell into the game I'm not a big fan of nordic/dwemer architecture
some more sophisticated/elven architecture would be cool

fuck...!!! dam thieves guild quests are bugged for me =\ i cant go inside this dudes house cause it was destroyed during the war.... it was the last trophy i needed to get platinum :(

dam... =\ 114 hours i played, im guessing thats a lot xD

I guess you'll have to wait until someone makes a mod that repairs all of the buildings

Level 35
So how do you all like the success Bethesda is having with their patches.. Now thats something I can agree to hate. :smile: But hell, I just convert back to original exe every time and apply the user made fixes and play just like before.. wait no, the new patch fucks with the controls making it impossible for me to fast travel.. :eek:

But at least converting back to original exe with 4G patch makes sure that I don't crash to desktop.

Don't be mistaken, as already shown in this thread I love the game, I just hate those fail patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.