• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Elder Scrolls Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi hive workshop community I wanted some opinions on a new map I hope to start on. I assume many of you have played either Morrowind or Oblivion and enjoyed the series as much as I did. Since I do not enjoy RPG's with Elder Scrolls as my only exception I would like to transform one of these adventure games into a RTS map for Warcraft III Frozen Throne. Now granted iam a total newb I have many many trail and error attempts at trying to make something at this scale with quality.

Before I begin to tackle this project and most likely fail along the way I want to hear some other seasoned mappers thoughts on it.

If I continue I will need to decide between the world of Cyrodiil or Vvardenfell. If there is no chance of creating a sort of project team I will try Cyrodill since the region is smaller and has few cities and only two major factions. Hopefully someone offers a hand we might work for Vvardenfall as it offers alot more to work with.
etc. etc.. Respond but dont headshot this newb :hohum:

Level 4
Before I even try to work with the WCIII map editor the planning needs to start. It would ne nice if anyone is intreasted in helping (hopefully someone famliar to the WCIII map making engine). Until then ill try not to make things to complicated.

Setting: Morrowind/Vvardenfall (only the island)

Factions: Still working with the ideas so far I have a few that I may keep.House Redoran, House Hlaalu, House Telvann, Tribunal Temple, Imperial(s), House Dagoth, Ashlander Tribe(s),

Storyline: Proven to be difficult. Since Morrowind offers many paths to a player I want to make it possible for different events/outcomes for factions without pushing the limits of a newbie map maker. I have the basics for each major faction.

Imperials. I was hoping to create a few divisions under them to keep one player from getting to strong early in the game. The nordic settlers to the northrean islands could rebel and form their own faction. The strong orc population in Gnisis could do this also. Leaving the remaining Imperials with the Legions and Cult

Level 4
Ive been searching old forum threads for past failures of Morrowind projects. I only found Morrowind RPG's that seem to have died before released. I spent about 30 mins playing with some tutorials and once again realized how difficult this will be. I am sure it can be done. With maps like Dark Ages of Warcraft and Azeroth (Something) that recreate the entire WCIII world Vvardenfell is half the size of that. The hardest thing is going to make terrain not look like shit, a few decent models, and working in all the editing for triggers and events for however they are built into a map.

Level 12
hm...........
Really all you need to work with is the object editor.... No real triggering is needed for melee maps besides spells and whatever....

This is just going to be EXTREMELY tedious....
What are the races your going to use? What makes them special? How is the game play with them going to feel like?

Level 3
Awesome!!, I love Elder Scrolls!, and before love it I liked Warcraft series, I grew up playing Warcraft, RTS games are one of my favorites, then when WoW was released I was a bit disappointing and then by the Nine Divines (lol) I knew Oblivion game, I loved it instantly, looks as a kind of Warcraft but role play game and more serious with a more deep and complicated story, then Skyrim, I started the games as hell, I learnt about modding the games and tweak them, using tools and configuring the game properly. By the way I always wished If a role play game based on Warcraft universe would be more realistic, I always loved the videos of Blizzard and I always was hoping to see something like that on next Warcraft, sadly was totally the opposite, I dont like WoW at all, looks so shinny, so easy, and the story seems like a bunch of light content without meaning, so much stuff, I think Warcraft game since WoW lost his path and Is so sad, but whatever. I'm still playing Warcraft 3 using overhaul mods and also some times I'm still playing Battle net matchs. Thankfully I discovered Elder Scrolls what seems a totally Cult game what I love, I'm so fan of it.

So about me, I'm member of Tamriel Vault, I write stories, create fan art and even mods for Elder Scrolls games, This is my TamrielVault profile: I'm Medieval there: TamrielVault - Member Profile - Medieval , I'm creating a huge project there, something related to a Faction I created: TamrielVault - Blog View - My Project: The Dark Legion Cult, This is my Nexus profile: I'm Maredark3d there: Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

I'm creating a mod using Warcraft 3 engine related to Elder Scrolls fan-made, If you want to talk about ideas, mods, even to join or work together, just add me as friend here, or also add me on Steam, my user there is Medieval 3D

I'm going to post a topic related to my project, what is about, the whole system, settlements, buildings, units, heros, spells, etc

Feel free to add me and would be even better to add me on Steam, so we can chat there more easy

I'm glad to see there are at least some people who are thinking about an Elder Scrolls RTS mod using Warcraft 3 engine

:) :)

Level 6
Here is a list of problems you will encounter :

-The scale :
For a morrowind map to be interesting, you'll need a BIIIG map and that triggers the next problem.

-The time: Big map = long development. Be ready to spend more than 6 months on this project (and 6 months would be alright, mine took me already more than two years with all the breaks I had to take because of this GOD DAMN real life.

-The storyline: Is a bit difficult to follow in the original Morrowind. If you make an RTS out of it, the goals should be clear. Otherwise, you better make an RTS out of the ninja turtles.

-The environment : Oblivion = great graphism, you will encounter strong expectations from your public about the environment. Wich I'm not sure would be possible to fulfill with the WC3 editor.

-The factions : Based on different species, good luck to find models that could even just remind of the factions in morrowind.

So I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but if you are not a confirmed map maker, or a genius, the result might be average to the best.
If you wich to start with the map editor, maybe you should choose a smaller project at first. ^^

What about an altered melee map with some morrowind factions to start with, it should take a few weeks or months already ^^

Level 3
Here is a list of problems you will encounter :

-The scale :
For a morrowind map to be interesting, you'll need a BIIIG map and that triggers the next problem.

-The time: Big map = long development. Be ready to spend more than 6 months on this project (and 6 months would be alright, mine took me already more than two years with all the breaks I had to take because of this GOD DAMN real life.

-The storyline: Is a bit difficult to follow in the original Morrowind. If you make an RTS out of it, the goals should be clear. Otherwise, you better make an RTS out of the ninja turtles.

-The environment : Oblivion = great graphism, you will encounter strong expectations from your public about the environment. Wich I'm not sure would be possible to fulfill with the WC3 editor.

-The factions : Based on different species, good luck to find models that could even just remind of the factions in morrowind.

So I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but if you are not a confirmed map maker, or a genius, the result might be average to the best.
If you wich to start with the map editor, maybe you should choose a smaller project at first. ^^

What about an altered melee map with some morrowind factions to start with, it should take a few weeks or months already ^^

Hello!,

What I can say,

- Yes this will take a long time, that doesn't meant I'm going to work this everyday, so of course will take a long time, but I plant to finish this before I die, seriously I dont have problems of dedicate to this my entire life, no joking. If you really like modding you will have hungry of learn all about it.

- About the scale, that could be a little problem but thats why can be created a ton of different maps and locations, meant can be created separated local maps If its necessary

- About the Story line, I plan to make this lore friendly to TES and the main story will be related to my story I'm also writting, thats where all the inspiration comes, the characters, factions, etc.

- About the Environment, I 'm using a huge overhaul mod what makes the models and textures really new and fresh, also there are a tons of models here on this community, and even I plan to create my own custom models, so is all about to will about this and how much you want to your mod game looks.

- The factions, common there are alot of similitude between Elder Scrolls and Warcraft universe, I saw recently a heavy armored dwarf mounted on a snow bear what remembers me to Ulfric Stormcloak, The Dark Legion Cult is about Necromancy and Daedra Worship = Undeads and Demons, Imperials = Humans, Stormcloaks = some Humans and some Dwarves, High Elves = Altmers, even some buildings looks similar.

About to start smaller project those are the maps, of course to add quests and triggers will be more work, but then when all thats is created, then is just need to add all those maps to Campaigns

This universe about modding is something like languages one is always learning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.