• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Edit Move Ability for Walkable Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Is there a way to edit the move ability so that it only works for movement? Or is there a way to make a new custom move ability?

Specifically I want to remove the feature that allows move to target other structures/units and triggers a sort of patrol. If not, is there a way ensure the unit moves the point clicked at, instead of stopping short (which occurs when moving onto a building/unit).

This is for a build-able walk-able wall system. When units walk onto the wall (built structure), they stop short of where I clicked and makes moving along the wall sort of unprecise and annoying - especially trying to get within range of an adjoining tower to garrison (load/unload) or when massing archers on the wall.

Level 15
I don't think you can edit the move ability and I don't think that you can make dummy abilities that work only by right-clicking.
You could make a dummy ability "move at location", which can be used manually in order to move at a certain location. Using the ward classification, you could remove the original "move" button.
You would have to create dummy abilities for attack, patrol, stop and hold position though.

Level 7
You can actually make an ability using the "smart" order and it will trigger on right click.
Being said that.

Use a trigger with event unit order targetting other unit, check if the order is "move" or "smart" and then reorder but with target point the target point of issued order.
It works with abilities with target unit, it should work with orders

Level 15
But if you right-click on a unit does "target point of issued order" even exist? I doubt it, but if it works it would be really nice.
It's definitely worth a try.

Level 11
Thanks for the replies. Because I'm so inexperienced in triggers, I have no idea how I would approach doing what you're advising. Can anyone post a sample trigger or be a little more descriptive in which triggers (conditions/events/etc) to use?

Level 15
This will make units move at the center of the target unit instead of next to it, if you use right-click or move on a friendly unit.
  • Move 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
    • Conditions
      • ((Owner of (Target unit of issued order)) is an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(move))
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(smart))
    • Actions
      • Set P = (Position of (Target unit of issued order))
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: move
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Move To P
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_P)

Level 11
This will make units move at the center of the target unit instead of next to it, if you use right-click or move on a friendly unit.
  • Move 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
    • Conditions
      • ((Owner of (Target unit of issued order)) is an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(move))
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(smart))
    • Actions
      • Set P = (Position of (Target unit of issued order))
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: move
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Move To P
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_P)

Nice work mate, however I'm not trying to move to the center of the target unit - just move exactly where you clicked. I'm gonna implement this trigger and see if it works.

Level 15
This would probably work with the method I suggested first, but it's a lot more complicated. I will try to figure out, if this works.

Level 15
This map has an ability that can be manually used to move at a certain position (you cannot target units with it), but right-click can still target units.
Maybe you can hide the original move button by changing it button position. I think I have read something about certain button psitions, that hide the icon.

It's not perfect, but I doubt you can make right click only target points.

Attachments

• newmove.w3x
    17 KB · Views: 25
Level 11
This map has an ability that can be manually used to move at a certain position (you cannot target units with it), but right-click can still target units.
Maybe you can hide the original move button by changing it button position. I think I have read something about certain button psitions, that hide the icon.

It's not perfect, but I doubt you can make right click only target points.

Awesome mate, thanks - I'll give you more rep once 24 hours since the last one passes.

Well, let me do some testing and see if it suits my needs.

Level 15
So now, how do I replace the old move ability?
You do not really replace the old move ability, as the move ability is still used. We are just creating a new dummy ability, that uses the old move ability. So we need to hide the old move ability.

I think it is only possible from patch onwards 1.28. Read this: Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

In the patch notes you see: fixed command cards to be hidden...

So you probably need at least 1.28.
It's probably a good idea to use this: SharpCraft: World Editor Extended, as it works with the newest patches, but I do not have 1.28 nor sharpcraft, so I can't really help here.

Level 11
You do not really replace the old move ability, as the move ability is still used. We are just creating a new dummy ability, that uses the old move ability. So we need to hide the old move ability.

I think it is only possible from patch onwards 1.28. Read this: Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

In the patch notes you see: fixed command cards to be hidden...

So you probably need at least 1.28.
It's probably a good idea to use this: SharpCraft: World Editor Extended, as it works with the newest patches, but I do not have 1.28 nor sharpcraft, so I can't really help here.

Hmm, alright I got 1.28. Can I use JNGP? So what exactly do I do to hide the move ability and replace it with the dummy?

Level 11
Set button position to 0,-11.

Here you can read how to it: Edit Hotkeys and save in Map: Move, Patrol, Build, Select

Take a look at the end of the thread. It's commandstrings.txt.

JNGP should work, as long as the game you are playing the map with is version 1.28+

I have tried this not yet, so I can't say for sure if this works.

Alright, thanks for the link. I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate this new precise movement, it works perfectly. Exactly what I needed! + more rep soon

Status
Not open for further replies.