• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Dungeon Raider (Needs better name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
if you need a story please give me a yell..

shall we get started on this in the not to distant future?

also if you need a forum... i have one availible and designed for map maker clans

Level 7
That's a shame, although I got enough to attend to myself.
Best of luck, and a happy new year :thumbs_up:
Fimbus

Level 7
I started a project based on the ideas that I gathered from this thread; its roughly the same outline although i'm not very prevelant and certain on the story aspect of it yet. I was thinking maybe some people could help with that. If possible I would like some people to maybe join me. Preferably mainly story/plot writers and some other coders to do side jobs if possible.

I won't exactly be making a whole chain of maps from it probably as i'm not too sure about a save/load yet. But if it becomes popular it might adapt to one. I think starting a bit smaller will help in the long run. Starting big projects you never tend to finish them.

As for the map; I have pretty much planned out 13 classes mostly based upon their roles and significance in boss battles. The problem is that many of their skills might be very boss oriented like reviving other allies. Therefore i'm thinking that maybe through normal rpg levels there will be checkpoints where everyone respawns but in general everyone should try to team up and overcome the obstacles whatever they may be with the least dying. In boss battles ressurection can be infinite, but in outside normal rpg aspects it has to be limited to be fair and challenging. Also rpg aspects will often split up the teams into smaller groups most likely throwing in each seperate group one of the players who is playing a class that has a revive skill.

As for the story-line/ability aspect it might become difficult to stray from the boss battles into other plots(i.e. an small aeon,a race, a random contest etc) but I hope this can be achieved as it would add a whole new aspect to the game and more fun of course.

You can read about it here: New Project - Map Makers United

The reason i put up some of the code about the map is that i hope to actually release parts of the code as well. So anyone can look at it and find parts of it that need fixing/correcting. I'm not too fond of letting everything being released but i plan to release certain aspects of the map that will be coded eventually. Although most of the code i put up just now is systems the map will use. By posting systems/scripts the map uses mainly in its coding you can copy/paste those scripts in at any time into another map and do a side project.

Anyone who had interest in this Dungeon Raider project is of course more than welcome to join and probably will find interest in this new project with a very similar idea basis.

Nothing is really set in stone too much, boss spells can definately be worked around to fit other bosses etc, but I think how the spells interact with gameplay should relatively show which boss gets what skills rather than basing everything from story. Story should include the main objective(probably to destroy the "heart" of something), many side quests, races against computers, or maybe even sometimes pinning some teammates against each other to gain prizes/awards like in an event whether it be colliseum dueling, racing, or something simple like attacking the most enemies in an amount of time. Although i don't want it to turn too much into a mini-game fest i want the story/combat to be original and very different.

My idea for save/load/defeat for now(could definately change):
( no checkpoints will really be implemented till there are some good boss fights and side quests set up of course, but when they are it will be the most vital part of the map).
Defeat like in a rpg will only set you back in to the last checkpoint, which could mean refighting a boss or re-finding your way through a hard maze avoiding obstacles. If a challenge is still too hard to complete after failing two times on the same checkpoint the players will get save codes from the last checkpoint they completed containing their hero class and the checkpoint data(items etc.). Then during the start of the game if anyone puts in checkpoint data it will get the mean value of all the loaded checkpoints and generate heroes that would be roughly equal to the heroes generated at that checkpoint.(This may result in losing items etc). Although if you want to play to get very far in the game it's best to start and continue with the same players! (Lawl, reminds me of Jamonji where you got to finish the game with the players you had since the start...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.